Media Converter Trim Scissors Dont Work

I’m trying to trim an mp4 video prior to converting it to load into my Fuze but the scissors are greyed out and clicking on them does nothing.  ANyone else have this problem?  Anyone have a suggestion on how to fix the problem?  Thanks.

It’s a bummer, but the crop tool was disabled for the Fuze.  What you can do is crop / resize / edit your photo before transferring to the Fuze.  Since the Fuze’s release, all the “crop” tool did was “zoom” anyway.  If an e200 series player was connected, the crop tool was active.

The crop tool wasn’t intended for video, only photos.  (Well, you could rotate)

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

It’s a bummer, but the crop tool was disabled for the Fuze.  What you can do is crop / resize / edit your photo before transferring to the Fuze.  Since the Fuze’s release, all the “crop” tool did was “zoom” anyway.  If an e200 series player was connected, the crop tool was active.

The crop tool wasn’t intended for video, only photos.  (Well, you could rotate)

I hate to disagree, but the help screen for the trim feature says:

In the Preview Panel, drag the mark-in scissors to the part of video where you want it begins;

4. Drag the mark-out scissors to the part of video where you want it ends;

5. Click the Play button to preview your trimmed video; 

Perhaps it was disabled for the Fuze but it is certainly intended to trim videos.

Sorry, I was confusing the crop with the clip.  You are right about the clipping function being for video.  As soon as I get a chance, I’ll test the Fuze with 4.256.  The PC with the latest SMC is busy at the moment.

1815 Update:  Very interesting, I have active clipping tools (the wee scissors) with 4.236 and 4.256.  On both machines, I tested with the Sansa live, and with no device connected.  Let’s go deep, and test the codec requirement…

Okay, here’s the issue: if the source video is mov format, I have no clipping available.  The scissors are greyed out. If the source is avi video, voila!  Clipping is available.  The source video must be of a compatible format for editing to be available using the SMC.

This wee dilemma can be solved by using a utility like AnyVideoConverter to transcode the source video prior to transfer onto your Sansa.  It is possible to use a video editing utility on the original video before running the final clip through the SMC as well.

It looks like the video format is the issue with using the built-in SMC clipping tool.  I hadn’t run into this issue, as I switched all of my video over to avi / Divx after learning the Sansa’s appetite preferences for video.

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 12-07-2009 06:30 PM

Thanks Bob.  I appreciate you following up on my question since I never understood codecs and would never have figured it out on my own.  I’ve been using Savevid.com to download You Tube video’s into mp4 format then SMC to convert them to Sansa’s format…I’ll see if I can find a program to download them as an avi file, or use a converter program to convert them to avi.  I wonder if I will lose much video or audio quality running it through another conversion process.  I’m only doing 3 or 4 minute video clips and music videos because they seem to work out best.  I tried downloading a TV program from Amazon’s video on demand then using a DRM stripping program to convert the show to avi format then used SMC to a convert it (it being the classic hysterically funny WKRP Thanksgiving Turkey Drop).  The result was very unsatisfactory…it was more like a slide show with a sound track and not very good at all.  The shorter non-protected videos work out fine though.  Thanks again for your hekp.

David

I like the DVDVideosoft suite of YouTube downloader (free) and uploader.  The final video runs directly through the SMC onto the Sansa with ease.  (Oh, and the wee scissors work great too.)

Like many freeware applications, the goal is to get you to try their ware.  Looks like a pretty good product, if you’re looking for their full suite as well.  I haven’t ventured into _up_loading any video yet.  I’m currently using their downloader.

There are a few others out there that should work well.

I am a student