Max SD Size

Hi Guys,

I am doing a little bit of homework before I buy one and before a mod says use the search function I have done this and can’t find a modern anwer for it. What is the max size the Fuze can take in SD cards. I have noticed some people say 8Gb and some other people say 16Gb I just want to know if any one has tried a 16gb and if so does it work fine.

Luke.

@lukessi wrote:

Hi Guys,

I am doing a little bit of homework before I buy one and before a mod says use the search function I have done this and can’t find a modern anwer for it. What is the max size the Fuze can take in SD cards. I have noticed some people say 8Gb and some other people say 16Gb I just want to know if any one has tried a 16gb and if so does it work fine.

Luke.

The 16GB works fine.

Hey Luke,

I just signed in here for the first time. Yeah, I have a 16gb card in a 8gb Fuze. So far, all is good. With my set up I put(and am still adding) all my music to the sd card. So far there’s 2,188 songs at a bit more then 11gb. I have a few videos on the internal memory, and put a few on the card…just to check it. All went well, the vids are smooth and in sync.(though they are all pretty short, the longest is 11:48…so, I can’t vouch for longer vids)

The only issue there is…is, the refresh is a bit(o.k., a LOT) long at a stop watch tested 21:21.   Though, this may be my doing, as I tagged some tracks with “big” art(320x320…etc.) The boot time is uneffected though, still just a few seconds.(if it IS longer, it can’t be by more than a second or two)

I don’t have any podcasts and only one audiobook, which works/plays back fine.

Hope this helps? If ya’ got any more questions, just lemme’ know!  

I don’t know if you know this or not Smoke, but there is currently a 4,120 file limit in the firmware. If you put anymore than that into your Fuze some just won’t show up. The developers are raising the limit though in an upcoming firmware update, probably,in the first half of the year. The new limit will be 8,000. I don’t know if this will affect you or not. I personally am at about 22GB and I’m getting close to that limit, but I’ve only got 12GB to play with on my Fuze, so it’s ok. Just thought I’d give you a heads-up about that limit, as we’ve had some people in the past freak out when they hit the limit.

Yeah Marvin, I knew about the limit and the coming upgrade. I should be o.k. 'til it gets here…but, thanks for the heads-up.  

Cheers guys placing my order at Lunch time then. How you finding them?

@smoke14rocks wrote:

The only issue there is…is, the refresh is a bit(o.k., a LOT) long at a stop watch tested 21:21.   Though, this may be my doing, as I tagged some tracks with “big” art(320x320…etc.) The boot time is uneffected though, still just a few seconds.(if it IS longer, it can’t be by more than a second or two)

Suddenly I feel a lot better about my refresh. The last time I loaded it up , which was just over 11GB, it took 4:30 to refresh. Now my podcasts, which are almost every day, I put on my Clip instead, so the Fuze refresh is a non-issue. I do want to get one of those 16GB cards though later this year. I’ll just have one of these while it refreshes.

@smoke14rocks wrote:

Hey Luke,

The only issue there is…is, the refresh is a bit(o.k., a LOT) long at a stop watch tested 21:21. Though, this may be my doing, as I tagged some tracks with “big” art(320x320…etc.) The boot time is uneffected though, still just a few seconds.(if it IS longer, it can’t be by more than a second or two)

This is just silly . . . The Fuze’s screen is only 176 x 220, and the album art displays approx. 20% less than that.

So what good does it do to have an image that big on the player in the 1st place? 1.) It’s going to take up more valuable memory that you could be using for music, and 2.) Byt the time the Fuze re-sizes that big of an image down to something it can display, the resulting image’s resolution is going to be severely degraded and pixelated.

Better to just use images in the 176 x 176 to 200 x 200 range in the 1st place. Even 150 x 150 wouldn’t be out of line. An image is going to look better when expanded, rather than when it’s condensed.

Now I’m curious as well… I have a 4GB Fuze and a 2GB SD card. Can I go up as high as 12GB on the SD card or will that be too much?

@chc94 wrote:
Now I’m curious as well… I have a 4GB Fuze and a 2GB SD card. Can I go up as high as 12GB on the SD card or will that be too much?

You could get a 16GB card if you wish. I am planning to at some point.

If you modify the contents of the internal memory, does the Fuze refresh the contents of the expansion card also?  This was a bug that Sandisk acknowledged last year and said it would be fixed in an upcoming firmware update.

Thanks in advance.

IME (In My Experience) it does refresh properly. I just did that yesterday and all is well.

And yes a 16GB card works fine.

@peregrine wrote:

IME (In My Experience) it does refresh properly. I just did that yesterday and all is well.

And yes a 16GB card works fine.

When you say it refreshes properly, do you mean that the Fuze doesn’t try to re-read the contents of the expansion card when you change something in internal memory?

Thanks.