Macbook and Sansa Clip ...completely frustrated! HELP! Music doesn't play on the Sansa Clip

Macbook and Sansa Clip …completely frustrated! HELP! Music doesn’t play on the Sansa Clip.

Big drama with Macbook and this new Sansa Clip. BOX SAYS COMPATIBLE with MAC.

1. Software comes on a mini-disk. Macbooks don’t accept these mini disks.

2. Firmware upgrade not available for Mac.

3. Songs consistently get corrupted with moving from my iTunes folders (as converted mp3’s) to the Sansa.

4. Songs show up on player without Artist Name and have iTunes list numbers instead.

5. Songs DO NOT PLAY. Clicking play, music will not start, song timer does not increase in seconds, etc.

6. Tech support in India is useless. Kept telling me to format it on a PC/Windows even though I told him a zillion times I only have a Macbook.

7. Kids birthday present ruined. HELP.

1. Use MSC mode on the Clip.

2. Do not use iTunes to transfer music files.

3. Use KopyMac (Google it) instead.

4. You can format it from a Mac. See this.

1. Use MSC mode on the Clip.

2. Do not use iTunes to transfer music files.

3. Use KopyMac (Google it) instead.

4. You can format it from a Mac. See this.

5. Make sure all files have proper ID3 tags for proper listing, sorting & display on the Clip.

KopyMac is no longer available for download per google results.

Sorry, what’s an ID3 tag? this should not be so hard/technical. please explain like i’m a 10 year old. amy

Kopymac indeed is available–get it from CNET’s download.com.  The issue is, Macs create extra files when a transfer is done, that can choke an audio player, camera, etc.–Kopymac remedies this.

An ID3 tag is computer data that is put into your audio file, that provides info. about the file, typically, title, author/artist, album/book, track number, year, and genre.  It is this info. that most modern audio players use to display what is playing on your player, and that is used to create a database of your music and book collection that the player uses to allow you to choose what to play. 

And you can use an ID3 tag editor to add and edit the ID3 tags in your files.  A popular editor is MP3Tag (Internet freeware).  It is pretty easy to use (as is Kopymac, by the way). 

Don’t worry about the CD, the software isn’t necessary and useless for the Mac anyway.

I use a freeware programme called “Hidden Cleaner” which is easier to use I think. Once installed just drag and drop your mp3s to the Clip’s Music folder as you normally would on the Mac desktop and forget about trying to use iTunes. (If you use iTunes to save tracks as mp3s then open your “Music” folder and you’ll find all the mp3 files etc inside folders in there.) Then drag the Clip+ icon to the “Hidden Cleaner” icon on the desktop and it deletes the files that cause the problems as it ejects it.

Make sure you have the Clip+ set to MSC mode and you’re probably best to Format the Clip+ (it’s a menu option on the player) to get rid of the files that you’ve already transferred.

I drag and drop all my mp3 files on my Mac like this and it’s easy and quick. If you’ve just used iTunes to rip CDs then you shouldn’t need to use a tag editor as the files should be OK. Files from other sources can have problems though and this isn’t just a Mac thing.

I bought a SanDisk Sansa clip+ MP3 Player and have a MacBook with Mac OS 10.5.8 and just noticed that Windows Media Player 10 is a requirement (which I don’t have).  Does the preceding information still apply to my MP3 player and Mac?  I’m not sure how to set my MP3 player

How do I use the MSC mode, ie, where do I find it in the clip+ menus?

Clip+ User Manual

WMP is not a requirement–set your player to USB MSC mode (which is needed for the Mac anyway), set under the player’s System Settings. 

@tar722 wrote:

I bought a SanDisk Sansa clip+ MP3 Player and have a MacBook with Mac OS 10.5.8 and just noticed that Windows Media Player 10 is a requirement (which I don’t have).  Does the preceding information still apply to my MP3 player and Mac?  I’m not sure how to set my MP3 player

WMP is not a requirement–set your player to USB MSC mode (which is needed for the Mac anyway), set under the player’s System Settings.