Sansa Clip stopped working after connecting to a Mac....

Okay I had an HP, got the Sansa Clip 2 months ago, put a LOAD of albums & songs on there & all worked just great.  THEN last week I got a new Mac.  Today was setting everything up on the Mac & tried to do my Sansa.  When conntected with the USB cord, the Mac saw the Sansa BUT saw no music on it.  So I opted to just use my desktop PC to transfer music, unplugged the Sansa from the Mac and THOUGHT I was done.  WRONG:*(

The Sansa lit up SANDISK sansa as normal.  But now it does nothing BUT just that!  I saw a Recovery forum & tried that, but the instruction weren’t exactly the same for this little Sansa so I really didn’t expect that to work; it didn’t.  Matter of fact, nothing happened.  Same thing.  Even have tried coming in here to my PC & plugging up via USB cord…nada still.

I don’t know what to do from here.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I see NOW where many are saying they don’t work well (or at all) with a Mac.  Don’t understand why the Mac saw it, saw FM & 1 voice recording I had saved on there, but NO music.  Guess that doesn’t matter at this point though.  The not working at ALL is my big issue.  I will certainly not try to use a Sansa on my Mac ever again!

Is there something I can try?  I can’t get to anything menu wise on there, so I can’t see how any suggestions I read on firmware would be applicable to my case.  OR do I just need to take it back to Best Buy & deal with them & my not having the receipt for this (I never got it, was a gift & the person who gave it lost the receipt)?  I hope I’m not just screwed here all the way around.  I only got to listen to this maybe twice:*(

Kimmi

Well, my case is rather different but can be related. I put my SANSA clip on the same computer I use it with Windows XP, but booted with Ubuntu. Worked fine, but returning to Windows XP it was no longer recognized. It was only recognized by Windows Media Player, not by Windows Explorer. Well, I copied some mp3 in that way but, when I wanted to use it, only one message appears: “No space  for  music DB, free 4 Mb” and it shuts off.
When reconnected it is seen as connected through the LCD screen  and appears as drive F: for Windows Explorer, but wantong to open a message appears indicating that it is not formatted and offers to format.
Can it be formatted and a new firmware be put on the root to work it again?

Jozefo

Format the player internally first. You’ll lose ALL of your music on the player; in a situation like this its better to start fresh.
From there plug the player in to the Mac or Ubuntu machine in forced MSC mode(turn player off compltely, place the clip in the locked position, hold down the center button while connecting the player).
Then install the latest firmware. http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clip&thread.id=718

Once you have the newest firmware, change the mode from MTP to MSC. You can get there from Settings to  USB Mode. MSC mode will allow you to work the player from a Mac, to most distros of linux,  and windows 2k+.

Okay…for the OP with the MAC issue…here is my suggestion.

1. Slide the power button up and hold there for 10 seconds.
  2. Once you’ve completed step 1, slide the power button back into HOLD and then press-n-hold the center button while plugging in your MAC
  3. If you follow step 1 and 2, I think you will solve the problem with your device hanging up.
  4. Now, for the problem with unable to see any music files is because when you use your PC, the device is transferred as MTP mode but when you plug in your MAC, it automatically goes into MSC since MAC doesn’t support MTP mode.  Therefore, you won’t be able to see anything because they are in different mode.  However, if you connect again to your PC, you should still see your music.  Now, if you want to transfer more music to the device using MAC, you still can and the music will all accumulate in the device and show up and play.  However, if the device acts weird and stuff…I suggest you follow step 2 and then format your device using MAC so that  some of the bad files created by MAC while plugging in the device might be wiped out clean and your device will work fine.

KingWs6MOM wrote:

I see NOW where many are saying they don’t work well (or at all) with a Mac. 

You didn’t see where it said “Windows XP SP2” on the side of the box?

:wink:  Of course that doesn’t mean anything … good luck getting it working …

I just have to say that this is really dumb that this gadget doesn’t work with Macs.
I mean if you are competing with ipods, at least make it work with mac. I can’t even switch over if I want to. I need to replace my lost ipod, now I can’t even consider getting this. guess apple users are just too small of a community for SanDisk to care for?

macusergirl wrote:

I just have to say that this is really dumb that this gadget doesn’t work with Macs.
I mean if you are competing with ipods, at least make it work with mac. I can’t even switch over if I want to. I need to replace my lost ipod, now I can’t even consider getting this. guess apple users are just too small of a community for SanDisk to care for?

i use the clip all the time with MAC. just put it in MSC mode

If you plan to use the player with Macs and PCs MSC is the correct setting