Anyone get this to work in Mac OSX?

Is there anyone here who has succesfully drag and dropped files in a Mac?  I see a lot of talk about MSC mode but only for Windows.   I attempted it by placing in MSC mode (hold, center button).  It did recognize it and it came up on screen as a drive.  I dragged some mp3’s into the music folder.  After disconnecting, the mp3s were taking up space in the Clip but they did not show up in the songs, only the few samples that came with it.  I tried several more times and it eventually froze up on me and indicated it did not have sufficent space for the music database.  I contacted Tech support, they indicated I’d have to format it with Windows XP and although it is capable of being placed in MSC mode this doesn’t necessarily mean it’s going to work w/ a Mac.  So any ideas here? 

I’m seriously considering installing Windows XP through BootCamp but it sounds like I’d have to buy Parallels or Fusion to even access the mp3s.  I’m really hoping to avoid that if someone can help me figure out how to get this thing to work on a Mac before I take it back.

Wow, wait a minute before installing windows  ^^
I’m using my sansa with Linux (really close to MacOS nowadays) in MSC mode and I have no problem at all… Since I’ve updated my Sansa to the last firmware, wich requires to have a computer under Windows XP and an internet connection (well… ok, it’s pretty stupid). You should try this :

If it worked for me, I guess it’ll work for you too…

Hope it helps !

Make sure that the artist, album and title fields in the ID3V2 tags are supplied.  From personal experience, I know that if the album field (at least) is not supplied, it won’t be added to the Clip’s database.

So there is hope!  Thanks for the info, I want to make sure I do this correctly.  So once I can get to a Windows XP computer, I’ll need to download the sansa updater and update the firmware.  Once that is done, how exactly do I “format it from the menu.”  Does the Clip have a format option right in it’s menu? Or is it something that I have to do from XP? 

With the new firmware I read that it has an option to put it in MSC mode from the USB menu, should I do this then or still just use the center button, or doesn’t it matter.

On a side note, someone on another message board indicated something about ID3v2 tags, and that they have to be on the mp3 in order for the Clip to recognize them.  So I guess I’ll go through and make sure but when I did it the first time I know that some of the songs did have tags, and maybe a few didn’t, but neither showed up in the Clip.  Seems like if that was the problem, those w/ the tags would have shown up. 

JREwing wrote:
So there is hope!  Thanks for the info, I want to make sure I do this correctly.  So once I can get to a Windows XP computer, I’ll need to download the sansa updater and update the firmware.  Once that is done, how exactly do I “format it from the menu.”  Does the Clip have a format option right in it’s menu? Or is it something that I have to do from XP? 

With the new firmware I read that it has an option to put it in MSC mode from the USB menu, should I do this then or still just use the center button, or doesn’t it matter.

On a side note, someone on another message board indicated something about ID3v2 tags, and that they have to be on the mp3 in order for the Clip to recognize them.  So I guess I’ll go through and make sure but when I did it the first time I know that some of the songs did have tags, and maybe a few didn’t, but neither showed up in the Clip.  Seems like if that was the problem, those w/ the tags would have shown up. 

Yes, there is a format option under the Settings menu.

No, there isn’t an MSC mode on the USB menu.  You’ll need to slide the hold/lock switch to hold, hold down the center button and plug in the Clip to put it into MSC mode.

Verify that ALL the fields in the ID3V2 tags are non-blank.

Cool, I’ll give it a try.  I’ve not dealt with tags a whole lot, but do you think I need to fill every single field, ie Grouping, Composer, etc.  I’ll probably just try filling the standard ones but if last time is any indication, if it is doesn’t have the proper tag, even after I delete it out of the music folder it will still be stuck in oblivion in the Clip w/ no way to get it out but to format.   Thanks for the help, may be a few days before I report back.

JREwing wrote:
Cool, I’ll give it a try.  I’ve not dealt with tags a whole lot, but do you think I need to fill every single field, ie Grouping, Composer, etc.  I’ll probably just try filling the standard ones but if last time is any indication, if it is doesn’t have the proper tag, even after I delete it out of the music folder it will still be stuck in oblivion in the Clip w/ no way to get it out but to format.   Thanks for the help, may be a few days before I report back.

I’m not sure, but my guess is that the Clip only needs the fields that it uses for display purposes … at least artist (possibly album artist), album and song title.

Also, my understanding is that you can’t see the song on the Clip itself, but you can see the song in the Clip’s memory using MSC mode (with whatever Mac OSX uses for a file browser; I’m not familiar with it).  If so, you should be able to delete the song with your file browser.  The contents of the song’s tag fields wouldn’t be relevant.

If you can’t see the song from Mac OSX while the Clip is connected in MSC mode, you’ve got a whole other problem.

FYI when connecting to MAC,  the Autodetect setting in USB mode, should suffice.  In Autodetect,  the device detects if the host supports MTP Mode.  If it does not  (as in Mac and Linux),  the connection will be done in MSC mode.  No need to force the MSC mode with the lock switch.

On The XBOX,  the autodetect doesnt work and hence the MTP mode setting.  With the XBOX,  you can play DRM content from the player if you set MTP mode.