M240 music DB problem

Hi, my m240 that I got in December 2007 suddenly shows the Not Enough Space for Music DB. Please free 8MB message.

The number in the battery compartment is BB0611KI539733.

I have tried running chkdsk from the command line with the player in MSC mode, and it finds lots of lost
chains and bad links, but in the end it aborts the procedure with an “Error writing folder” message.

I have tried reformatting the in MSC mode unit using FAT and FAT32. It will not complete. Using a format
from the commmand line I get “Invalid Media or Track 0 bad or unusable” message.

I have tried updating the firmware, with no success there either. The computers I’m using (Win2k, WinXP,
and WinServer 2k3) all recognize the device and show it as a removeable drive, but show no files.

I’m at a loss…I have used every solution on the Sandisk Forums and they didn’t solve the problem. Any
help would be greatly appreciated

Well, after spending the better part of the day messing with this thing, I finally got it to format and pass a good chkdsk, although I don’t really know how I got it to work.  I think I took the battery out, held the power button down forever, plugged it back in, and was able to see a directory structure using the Mac.  Then deleted everything off.  Then reformatted using the Windows box.

Now it won’t come on when the power button is pushed–even using known good batteries (measured voltage 1.53V).  Does come on when plugged in and is recognized by computer. Updater says the firmware is up to date.  I can even push files to it.

Any suggestions??  I’m getting ready to run it over with the car…

try power cycling…

plug the  device to the computer without the battery. press and hold the power button, unplug from the computer then let go of the power button after 30 secs.

btw, what can you see on the lcd screen when its plugged in? 

try power cycling…

plug the  device to the computer without the battery. press and hold the power button, unplug from the computer then let go of the power button after 30 secs.

btw, what can you see on the lcd screen when its plugged in?

The display shows “USB connected” along with the correct MSC/MTP indicator (depending on how ever the Hold switch is set).

But as soon as I eject it from windows, it shuts off and cannot be started on it’s own.  I’m thinking about trying a firmware update.  It showed the latest version 3.x.x before I formatted it…will a reformat crash the FW???

format will not harm the firmware because it is stored in a different partition.  you might wanna try that as well.

if that doesn’t work,  contact sandisk.

HI, i’ve got the same problem. I would like to know if you have found a solution to this. I’ve searched the net, and nothing seams to work.

Yeah, I finally got mine fixed.  The key is to do the reboot and reformat–getting the thing to reboot itself is next to impossible.  I also had a battery terminal issue as well which once resolved allowed the player to accept files and operate normally.

smatda,

I have the EXACT same problem as you did!! PLEASE HELP ME! I have tried almost EVERYTHING that people have been advising on the forums…everytime I try to reformat my player, it says: Windows was unable to complete the format, when its under both FAT and FAT32 file systems…and i also cannot defragment it, when I do, I get an error message saying: Disk Defragmenter cannot continue prescan because there is a corruption in file: D:.Trashes\501. I have no idea what to do now…any ideas? How exactly did you get yours to format?! Thanks in advance.

Only thing I can tell you is to keep plugging away at it.  Take out the batteries and hold the power button down for a few minutes.  Move the lock/unlock button to the “Lock” position.  Then hook it up to the computer and see if you can see any file structure.  If you can, delete everything.  Then try to reformat.  Good luck!!