Just bought new card - is this fake?

I just bought a SanDisk Standard SDHC at 8GB (Red top, Blue middle, White bottom).

I’m suspicious because on the front is a CLASS 4 logo. I have not been able to find this on the SanDisk website. All their Standard SDHC at 8GB are CLASS 2.

The serial info on the back of the package (ABOVE BARCODE) is:

SDSDB-8192-P36

And the barcode serial:

6   19659  03964   6

And below that:

8O-56-O9329-OO8G

best if you could post a picture of the card fron and back for5 us to look at. SanDisk has bumped the standard line to class 4 just FYI. 

I bought the same card too. Please advise how to post a picture here or I can also email it to you.

@ong2sms wrote:

I bought the same card too. Please advise how to post a picture here or I can also email it to you.

You have to use an image-hosting site like photobucket or imageshack, then you can copy & paste the image here (or the link).

Send the pics to support@sandisk.com. They will also need a picture of the back part of the card itself.

I have not opened the packaging yet. Otherwise, I could not return it to the seller if the product was confirmed fake.

without seeing the back of the card to confirm the identification number they will not likely be able to tell you for sure if it is real or not. if you are that concerned you purchased a fake send it back to the seller and purchase for an authorized reseller. 

I bought a similarly looking card (32gb capacity) from a reputable store, so I doubt it is fake. Looks like Sandisk simply renamed their class 2 card (which was always doing about 4mb/s writes), but didn’t even bother to update the packaging.

I tested the card using h2testw and it gets the same results as Sandisk’s class 2 cards (writes: 4.3mb/s, reads 6.4mb/s), barely meeting class 4 spec.

Here are the images of my card:

dmesg, guess we are having the same predicament.

if your test result is correct, it looks like SanDisk is faking the class 2 card by simply putting a class 4 sticker on the card (without changing the packaging) and selling the card for the price of class 4.

can any SanDisk employee or adminIstrator of this forum please come forward to clarify this matter !!!

@ong2sms wrote:

dmesg, guess we are having the same predicament.

if your test result is correct, it looks like SanDisk is faking the class 2 card by simply putting a class 4 sticker on the card (without changing the packaging) and selling the card for the price of class 4.

can any SanDisk employee or adminIstrator of this forum please come forward to clarify this matter !!!

no one is faking anything. the card meets class 4 spec with greater than 4MB/s performance. the cards are real and they are class 4 cards. they are probably just using up old packaging which is pretty common. 

Well, they certainly tricked me into buying this card. I needed a card fast, and saw this one in the store. I bought it assuming (very stupid of me, I know) Sandisk’s class 4 is supposed to be faster than Sandisk’s class 2. It was going to get 16gb class 4 ultra card (9mb/s write, 15mb/s read) or something similar from a different brand, until I saw that digit 4 on the card.

In fact it’s the first time I see a brand name card that barely meets the spec, until now they always exceeded it.

Well, lesson learned, I won’t trust Sandisk again. Especially since they fail quite often (I have 3 dead Sandisk cards - 2 with broken read/write lock, one simply dead).

Fake?

yes that card is likely counterfeit. the packaging looks fake and the card and label look off. i would return that to the seller for a refund. 

just a hint if i were you i would only purchase flash media from authorized resellers.  there are tons of fake flash on the market.

Just bought micro CDHC memory card too, on the back of it are some numbers and letters:

TEYAN

DYTCX875596

@robkyzas wrote:

Just bought micro CDHC memory card too, on the back of it are some numbers and letters:

TEYAN

DYTCX875596

these are not any numbers or marking used on sandisk cards. if you purchased a sandisk i would say it is a fake.

Just for sure, is it fake?

there were too small pictures just re-upload them, thanks.