iXpand firmware update for OS X

I bought the iXpand for my iPhone and iPad. I do not own a Windows PC, so how can I update the device’s firmware on OS X? My iPhone and iPad have already been updated to iOS 9 prior to downloading the firmware update.

2 Likes

right now the only update tool is a windows tool. the only way to update would be either find an iOS device that has not been updated to iOS 9 or find a windows PC and use it to update. 

Contact sandisk support. IIRC they can have you return the iXpand to them and they can do the update and send it back. 

If you have any firends with a Windows PC or an iOS 8 device that may be faster but if not sandisk support should be able to take care of you. 

1 Like

It’s really ridiculous that big guy like SanDisk do not have update option for OS X…

This piece of flash drive is for iPhone/ iPad yet no update option for iMac family/ OS X family.

Sandisk should assume that iPhone lovers are likely to own OS X devices.

Quite a shame to SanDisk.

Win

1 Like

I have the exact same problem. Brand new iXpand 32g with old Firmware . Latest OS on my iPad. Only MAC computers. iXpand 32g “fails to update” on iPad. Its a great piece of hardware but doesnt work properly. Do I now have to find someone with a windows computer and ask them to download the iXpand Update Tool and update the drive for me??? What gives with SanDisk that they allow this piece of non compatibility to exist??

@grahamo wrote:

Do I now have to find someone with a windows computer and ask them to download the iXpand Update Tool and update the drive for me??? 

That would be the fastest and easiest option. 

@grahamo wrote:

What gives with SanDisk that they allow this piece of non compatibility to exist??

Apple changed the way accessories work in iOS 9. This change required a FW update for the iXpand to continue functioning. Unfortunately if you updated to iOS 9 prior to updating the FW of the iXpand iOS cannot detect the drive at all so you can’t update the FW. The issue was resolved right after iOS 9 came out but it looks like you got some old stock. Everything made in since iOS 9 was released has the update FW. 

That is absurd. I had used the disk with my Pro to save files. I erased and now I cannot format or mount the disk using Disk Utility.