I don't want to use WMP to sync files to Sansa

and thanks for the previous answer - I don’t need a program - I just copy and paste - it works!  But it’s really slow.  Can Winamp be used?  And does anyone know if WMP will play .wav files?  I want to get all my MP3s off WMP and fill it with only .wav files.  Thanks in advance again.

If you don’t want to use WMP to sync, why do you want to play wav files on it?  

Other than short recordings of a few seconds, why would you want to play wav files at all?  OK, the clip records wav, but I’d convert them to FLAC (or more likely lossy since they aren’t hi fi at all) ASAP.

I don’t want to play wav files on the Sansa. I want to use the WMP to play stereo wav files at home. I like the way WMP shuffles music… and I like the pure sound of .wav sound on my home stereo. I like it so much I’m going to rip all my CDs onto my computer (the price of external hard drives is coming down nicely) and play them on my old HK AV-10 through the Cambridge DAC-magic (digital-audio converter - it sidesteps the soundcard completely!). I have a remote device to control my Window’s Media Center and that’s going to be my home stereo choice in future. I prefer the whole sound in stereo at home but, because I’m deaf in one ear, I rip mono mp3s for my Sansa (otherwise I miss almost half the sound, depending on separation).

Wave sound is clearer, separation’s better. With a DAC I can listen to music and hear it clearer at lower volumes. That’ll make my neighbour, well, not happy exactly but blame me less for being miserable.

Thanks for your question.

@pxfragonard wrote:

Wave sound is clearer, separation’s better. With a DAC I can listen to music and hear it clearer at lower volumes. That’ll make my neighbour, well, not happy exactly but blame me less for being miserable.

Thanks for your question.

I have a lot of trouble believing that wave sounds clearer with better separation compared to FLAC (or other lossless compression), barring a defect in the playing program.  That’s why they call it lossless.  Plus FLAC gives you real tag support.

Wave will sound fine, just not better. 

Slow? It shouldn’t be slow to copy and paste files.

Just go through the files you want in any particular view, and click each one while holding down the Cntrl key, and when all the ones you want are highlighted, just drag and drop with the cursor on one, and all the highlighted files will transfer.

If you want to select many consecutive files, highlight the first one by clicking on it; then highlight the last one by clicking on it while holding the Shift key down- and all the files between those two (and including those two also) will be highlighted, and drag and drop as above…and viola[sic]! It’s actually faster than using WMP. (I assume selecting the files is what is slowing you down, since transfer speed is the same, whether you use WMP or drag N’ drop)

Thanks. It seems richer to me.

Just go through the files you want in any particular view, and click each one while holding down the Cntrl key, and when all the ones you want are highlighted, just drag and drop with the cursor on one, and all the highlighted files will transfer.

I guess what I really mean is that it doesn’t give me a running total the way WMP does of how much space remains… and then there’s the convenience of shuffling and also of playlists.

But none of this answers my original issue. I want to use WMP as a dedicated wav file player through my stereo and find a different program to make playlist of MONO files for my Sansa because I am dead in one ear. What OTHER program would work please? Thank you in advance.

Let me put it this way. I want to use WMP to play stereo files at home and I need another program to sync my Sansa with mono files since I’m deaf in one ear. Other than dragging and dropping, is there another program I could use? How would Winamp work, for example, and do I need to upgrade to Winamp Pro?

@pxfragonard wrote:
Let me put it this way. I want to use WMP to play stereo files at home and I need another program to sync my Sansa with mono files since I’m deaf in one ear. Other than dragging and dropping, is there another program I could use? How would Winamp work, for example, and do I need to upgrade to Winamp Pro?

Are you looking to change the files to mono? If they are already mono then any program will transfer them. But if you need to create the mono files then a program like audaity is free and it will edit the files for you and then you can sync them with whatever you like. Is that what you were wondering?

Are you looking to change the files to mono?

No, I’m not. Thanks.

@pxfragonard wrote:

No, I’m not. Thanks.

OK, then any program you want should transfer your songs just fine.

@pxfragonard wrote:

No, I’m not. Thanks.

I’m wondering if maybe the solution would be to transcode your WAVs into mono,  strictly for the Sansa, while preserving your originals in a seperate folder for your home use.

As I said above, that’s not my problem. I use EasyCDA Extractor to rip into mono for the Sansa. I also use it to batch edit tags and such. Very nice program. That’s not my problem. As I wrote above, I use mono for the Sansa and have been syncing with WMP but I want to use WMP to play home audio stereo.

Anyway, I think the problem is solved. I can keep my mono files in Winamp and sync with that. Some things are even better there than in WMP (like, I could never see how to make playlists with WMP - a snap with Winamp). That way I can completely clean my mono files from my WMP library and load it only with the stereo wav files I want to play through my Digital-audio converter (bypassing the soundcard) straight into my receiver.

So it sounds like what you need is a program that will let you convert to mono mp3 on the fly when you sync.

I think Amorak can do that, but it is native on linux, last I saw only “try at  your own risk” release on Windows and I couldn’t get it  to work.

Once Rockbox firmware is available on Fuze you can just change a settnig on the player to send both channels to your good ear.

edit… didn’t see that you are ok with having both versions on disk.

Message Edited by donp on 02-22-2009 08:51 PM

You don’t need to upgrade to winamp pro for syncing. Download the sansa plug in. Or maybe sansa players are already supported on winamp.

already supported… the only thing that’s missing is the folders, save video… maybe the plug in will help there… thanks.

@marvin_martian wrote:

@pxfragonard wrote:

No, I’m not. Thanks.

I’m wondering if maybe the solution would be to transcode your WAVs into mono,  strictly for the Sansa, while preserving your originals in a seperate folder for your home use.

That has already been done, thanks. The problem had to do with reserving WMP for home use (because I have a remote for that) and finding another program to sync the mono files to Sansa, keeping the libraries separate. I really liked the way WMP would calculate how much space I had left and could shuffle it all with one button… maybe Winamp has the latter feature but I don’t see the former.

@pxfragonard wrote:

It’s been awhile, but I believe Windows XP had a nifty (and freeware) syncing program–was it Briefcase?  Easy to set up and to use.

@miikerman wrote:

@pxfragonard wrote:

It’s been awhile, but I believe Windows XP had a nifty (and freeware) syncing program–was it Briefcase?  Easy to set up and to use.

appreciate the nice thought but i really like the autosync feature of WMP and myWinamp crashes when it starts to load new music - not bad at removing theold but never gets to a refill.

I’m still wondering (again, barring a defect in the player) how there could be any difference in sound between a lossless compression format and .wav, which is just a lossless uncompressed format.  The D/A converter should be seeing exactly the same input, per the definition of lossless.

Message Edited by donp on 02-23-2009 02:40 PM