I don't want to use WMP to sync files to Sansa

When FLAC files are played, the output waveform is bit for bit accurate with the original source. So theres no difference in Sound quality between WAV and FLAC. THis is by “definition”.

WAV uses less system resources to play back because there is no decompression going on however.

@donp wrote:

I’m still wondering (again, barring a defect in the player) how there could be any difference in sound between a lossless compression format and .wav, which is just a lossless uncompressed format.  The D/A converter should be seeing exactly the same input, per the definition of lossless.

Message Edited by donp on 02-23-2009 02:40 PM

I’m sorry. I have no idea what you are talking about. Compression is not an issue for me.  I prefer stereo music in my home but need mono in my portable. It’s as simple as that, so

I want to use a program other than WMP to sync my Sansa and Winamp is crashing. That and only that is my problem. Thank you for your response.

@sansafix wrote:
When FLAC files are played, the output waveform is bit for bit accurate with the original source. So theres no difference in Sound quality between WAV and FLAC. THis is by “definition”.

WAV uses less system resources to play back because there is no decompression going on however.

doesn’t solve my stereo/mono problem in any case even if true.

Try Media Monkey. It is a great piece of software that will manage your library or part of it, and will allow you to sync to your player.

@sansafix wrote:

Less CPU more hard drive access.  My ancient (7 year old) PC can decode FLAC, writing to .wav, at 100x real time speed. 

Message Edited by donp on 02-23-2009 03:02 PM

@donp wrote:

@sansafix wrote:

Less CPU more hard drive access.  My ancient (7 year old) PC can decode FLAC, writing to .wav, at 100x real time speed. 

Message Edited by donp on 02-23-2009 03:02 PM

This is not an issue. This is not the question. This is not what the thread is about. I want to find a program to autosync to Sansa that is other than WMP. That is my only question. Thank you.

@conversionbox wrote:
Try Media Monkey. It is a great piece of software that will manage your library or part of it, and will allow you to sync to your player.

Thank you, sir.  Any opinion of things I already have on the system, particularly Winamp and Real?

@pxfragonard wrote:

This is not an issue. This is not the question. This is not what the thread is about. I want to find a program to autosync to Sansa that is other than WMP. That is my only question. Thank you.

I am still gonna recomend Media Monkey.

@pxfragonard wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

Thank you, sir.  Any opinion of things I already have on the system, particularly Winamp and Real?

If your WinAmp Crashes, then you could try and reinstall it. I have not had a ton of success with WinAmp, Altough I havent tried the current build. I have never liked real. I had it on an old gateway PC and it was never able to manage my collection properly. I feel like there is a way to manage both sets of music in WMP, but I have tried and I cant figure it out.

@pxfragonard wrote:

@donp wrote:

I’m still wondering (again, barring a defect in the player) how there could be any difference in sound between a lossless compression format and .wav, which is just a lossless uncompressed format.  The D/A converter should be seeing exactly the same input, per the definition of lossless.

I’m sorry. I have no idea what you are talking about. Compression is not an issue for me. 

WHat I’m talking about is that in an earlier post you said  “Wave sound is clearer, separation’s better” (than lossless compression).  If true, is it a defect in WMP and would be of interest to other readers even if not to you.

@conversionbox wrote:

I feel like there is a way to manage both sets of music in WMP, but I have tried and I cant figure it out.

I think you could do it, but it would be a lot of work…you’d have to rename all the files …make song and song1, album and album1, etc.

Not what I meant. I did some more digging and I was wrong about WMP. I guess I would try and reinstall WinAmp.

Wait…wait…I’m lost.

OP already has the mono files on his PC, right? So why not just drag & drop onto the Clip? What is the purpose of having a program to “sync” them? (Maybe I’m stoopit…but I just don’t get it!)

@cllipman wrote:

Wait…wait…I’m lost.

OP already has the mono files on his PC, right? So why not just drag & drop onto the Clip? What is the purpose of having a program to “sync” them? (Maybe I’m stoopit…but I just don’t get it!)

He said he was looking for a program to manage his collection. 

@conversionbox wrote:

@cllipman wrote:

Wait…wait…I’m lost.

He said he was looking for a program to manage his collection. 

What is the purpose of having a program to “sync” them?

Playlists, a running count of storage remanining, autosyncing (to be surprised), choice by star-ratings, etc…

@marvin_martian wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

I feel like there is a way to manage both sets of music in WMP, but I have tried and I cant figure it out.

I think you could do it, but it would be a lot of work…you’d have to rename all the files …make song and song1, album and album1, etc.

Yes, this is a problem… i have already spent far too much time ripping mono-mp3 files… I don’t relish spending time like that.

@donp wrote:

@pxfragonard wrote:

@donp wrote:

I’m sorry. I have no idea what you are talking about. Compression is not an issue for me. 

WHat I’m talking about is that in an earlier post you said  “Wave sound is clearer, separation’s better” (than lossless compression).  If true, is it a defect in WMP and would be of interest to other readers even if not to you.

Irrelevant to me.  If I want stereo files and mono files on my computer I still have the same problem: separating the two collections whether they are flac, wav or anything else.

I have a remote control for the WMP so the mono files have to be taken off that and put somewhere else.

and…

since you want to lecture me about selfishnes, DonP, all I can say is that if you want to be helpful, first listen, second ponder, third sympathise, fouth answer if you have an answer, fifth offer an even better suggestion. You have done this in reverse order from your very first post. First read.

@conversionbox wrote:

@pxfragonard wrote:

@conversionbox wrote:

If your WinAmp Crashes, then you could try and reinstall it. I have not had a ton of success with WinAmp, Altough I havent tried the current build. I have never liked real. I had it on an old gateway PC and it was never able to manage my collection properly. I feel like there is a way to manage both sets of music in WMP, but I have tried and I cant figure it out.

Thank you for your ear, your experience, your sympathy and keeping on topic, a rarity these days… I will try Media Monkey!

@pxfragonard wrote:

@donp wrote:

@pxfragonard wrote:

@donp wrote:

Irrelevant to me.  If I want stereo files and mono files on my computer I still have the same problem: separating the two collections whether they are flac, wav or anything else.

I have a remote control for the WMP so the mono files have to be taken off that and put somewhere else.

and…

since you want to lecture me about selfishnes, DonP, all I can say is that if you want to be helpful, first listen, second ponder, third sympathise, fouth answer if you have an answer, fifth offer an even better suggestion. You have done this in reverse order from your very first post. First read.

Sorry.  It’s difficult for me to come up with an appropriate solution without knowing your level of understanding.  Historically, people who “hear” differences between wave and lossless have trouble understanding other practical matters as well.

DONP. The OP was not askin about quailty or lossless vs Lossy or what ever. Hearing a difference between wave and lossless is irreleveant becasye The OP IS HEARING IMPARED. They have set up their music as mono that they want to put on their player. They want to use WMP to listen at home to regular aterio files, and they want another program to manage their mono files so they can sync to their player, create playlists, whatever. The stuff you were talking about had no application here. It was simply a software question.

Message Edited by Conversionbox on 02-23-2009 05:06 PM