I cannot copy files from Sansa m240 to computer (different problem than others)

I originally added mp3s to my SanDisk Sansa m240 on my laptop. I was able to freely take songs from the player and put them on the player as well. Just about a week ago my laptop crashed. After getting my laptop fixed I tried to put the songs from my mp3 player BACK on my computer but when I hooked the player up to the USB port it showed no songs were on the player. I unhooked the player from the USB port, turned it on and played the songs…they worked fine. Relieved, I hooked it back up to my USB port…again, the same thing happened. I also tried loading it on my other laptop and still nothing but the same. (And yes, both run WinXP)

I changed the folder options to show ‘hidden files’…Nothing.
I have tried the USB setting on MTP and MSC…Nothing.
I have tried resetting my settings on the mp3 player…Nothing.
No files show up in any folder to drag and drop. Regardless, I tried to drag and drop the folders…Nothing.
My mp3 player is not locked…I tried hooking it up locked and unlocked…Nothing.

The information on my mp3 player reads:

Memory

• Total      974MB
  • Available   11MB
  • Songs     218
  • Spoken Word  0
  • Recording  0

Only 4 items appear under SanDisk when hooked to the USB port on my computer:

Folder:  AUDIBLE    (folder is empty)
Folder:  RECORD    (folder is empty)
Folder:  CONFIG      (contains “CONFIG.TCC”  5kb)
File:      SYS_CONFIG.DNC   (1 byte)

I’d like to get these files back on my computer…can anyone help me?

UhOhSpaghettios wrote:

I originally added mp3s to my SanDisk Sansa m240 on my laptop. I was able to freely take songs from the player and put them on the player as well. Just about a week ago my laptop crashed. After getting my laptop fixed I tried to put the songs from my mp3 player BACK on my computer but when I hooked the player up to the USB port it showed no songs were on the player. I unhooked the player from the USB port, turned it on and played the songs…they worked fine. Relieved, I hooked it back up to my USB port…again, the same thing happened. I also tried loading it on my other laptop and still nothing but the same. (And yes, both run WinXP)

I changed the folder options to show ‘hidden files’…Nothing.
I have tried the USB setting on MTP and MSC…Nothing.
I have tried resetting my settings on the mp3 player…Nothing.
No files show up in any folder to drag and drop. Regardless, I tried to drag and drop the folders…Nothing.
My mp3 player is not locked…I tried hooking it up locked and unlocked…Nothing.

The information on my mp3 player reads:

Memory

• Total      974MB
  • Available   11MB
  • Songs     218
  • Spoken Word  0
  • Recording  0

Only 4 items appear under SanDisk when hooked to the USB port on my computer:

Folder:  AUDIBLE    (folder is empty)
Folder:  RECORD    (folder is empty)
Folder:  CONFIG      (contains “CONFIG.TCC”  5kb)
File:      SYS_CONFIG.DNC   (1 byte)

I’d like to get these files back on my computer…can anyone help me?

try unhiding operating system files. Just a wild shot in the dark here.

That was actually one of the things I already tried before but forgot to mention in my original post…

I’ve looked at nearly every post on here and it seems no one has had this problem (barring those who transfer between Mac and PC and those who transfer between MTP and MSC)

I have same problem- scoured the interweb with no luck.

See ya- tuna

I recently purchased a new laptop and had the exact same problem.  I also tried all of the fixes that you and others in this forum have suggested to no avail.  For some reason the new computer came loaded with Windows Media Player version 9.0.  I updated WMP to version 11.0 and now my player works just like it did on my previous system.  Hope this helps, good luck.

hi

i got the same thing…did u manage to fix that??

WMP 11 sees player,but i can’t acces songs on it…

I was searching for a solution online and did not find one, so I just reformatted the drive under Fat32 so that it would have compatability with Windows again.

1. Plug in your sansa

2. Right click on the drive in My Computer, click on Format…

3. Format under FAT32 and check quick format

You will lose everything on your drive, but you’ll be able to drag and drop files again.  If there are any problems, the firmware is available here:

SanDisk SD Card, Memory Cards, and Flash Drives for PC & Mac | Western Digital;

i have the same problem,

1. i can not format because i have importan files and records,

i need recovery it,

there is a software to recovery filesfrom a m240 corrupted?

1. when format, can i recovery data (.pdf .doc .mp3)

I have had the same thing happen to me. I have a pc and a macbook and a pc laptop. When i first got the m240 , I initially used it on my pc. I originally used sync to transfer music but then discovered you could drop and drag. I prefer to use the drag and drop method apposed to the sync method for trasfering files, obvious reason is that its much faster, When I then tried to use it on my macbook, the folder with all my music was empty. I then tried it on my other laptop and same thing, empty folders. I noticed that some of the folders on the laptops were not visible on my pc, yet all my folders on all three of my computers are managed so they are visible. I really would like to find a way so that i could transfer files from any computer since i have different songs on all three and transfering everything to just my pc would be too time consuming and just not practical. I would like to avoid formating the sansa too. since i am not sure that would work anyways. does anyone have any correct procedure in fixing this or is it simply a limitation to this piece of hardware. Thanks for any input.

One other thing i noticed is that the sansa m240 appears as an audio device under my computer in the start menu and on my two other computers it appears as a removable storage device. I also found out that i can transfer songs from each computer to the sansa, but the tracks i loaded as an audio device are only accesible on that computer while any tracks i put on it with the other two as a removable drive are only accessible on those computers. I would like to shut off the feature that makes the sansa appear as an audio device. i belive that would solve my problems. but i do not know if it is something in the computer or on the drive. i have formatted the unit on my pc (being recongnized as audio device) and it only allows a one click format option, while on the my laptops i can format to FAT32, but again the m240 acts independently and formatting doesnt seem to change internal the internal syncing or settings of the unit. There must be a way to deactivate it from appearing as an audio device. any help would be much appreciated,

go to settings, USB mode, select MSC (or to Auto Detect if MSC is selected). 

you should then see those hidden files when you connect your player

Yes, I have the EXACT SAME ISSUE, and it’s really pissing me off.  It worked perfectly fine until I upgraded from IE6 to IE7, that is the ONLY difference on my laptop from when it functioned properly.  If you look at other private support websites, this seems to be a common issue with NO resolution.

This solution worked for me:

On the MP3 PLAYER, go to settings>USB mode.  I selected MSC (Auto Detect was selected).  The audio files were visible on my computer right away.  WHEW!!

i cant songs copy from computer to sansa sandisk model m240

Have you read the User’s Manual?