hsomklg.exe virus?

Just got a Sansa Fuze, plugged it into my comp and immediately my virus scanner went crazy. There is a hidden file called “hsomklg.exe” which is a trojan/backdoor virus.

Just wanted a verification that this file should not be there and can be deleted.

If it shouldn’t be there SanDisk should probably look into how it did get there…

~Weis

My suggestion is to install ClamAV, it is a free Open Source AV program.

Confirm that the file is a virus and not a false positive.

No such file on my device.

Not on mine either. Was this one used, refurbished, ebay, etc., or from a regular store?

You need to scan your entire computer, the virus might have already been on it.  I have seen this happen with new flash drives.  The virus is already on the computer, and has managed to hide itself from the AV program.  It is caught when it tries to transfer itself to a new “uninfected” drive, in this case the Fuze.  Scan with a different AV program, just to be safe.

Message Edited by jkj1962 on 12-25-2008 01:14 PM

@black_rectangle wrote:
Not on mine either. Was this one used, refurbished, ebay, etc., or from a regular store?

Even “regular stores” sell returns, especially with the consumer-friendly laws in Europe where you can return any good you received by mail-order within 14 days. Repackaged, checked, but you may not get something brand-new in any case. And storage devices most certainly are not virus checked then. 

Aaaahhhh! This rich text editor is a catastrophe when used with Opera!