How to retrieve back-up files from SanDisk Ultra Backup usb drive in Windows 7, please?

I apologise if this question has been asked before.  I’m afraid I do not have the understanding or vocabulary to perform an adequate search. :flushed:

I bought a SanDisk Ultra Backup 8gb usb drive in November 2011 and used it to backup files on my  Windows 7 (64 bit) Dell laptop.  My hard drive failed early in 2012 but I was unable to retrieve the files on my backup drive when I tried to do so by inserting the drive into the usb port on my Windows 7 (32 bit) Samsung netbook.

Honestly, I don’t think I knew what I was doing when I bought the back up drive and I never tested it or explored its functions before my hard drive failed. I just plugged it into the port and pressed the backup button and trusted it to do the job.  I gave up quickly when I first struggled to retrieve my files and now a year later I am trying again, but feel as though I have no idea what to do.

When I insert the drive into my usb port, I get a pop up message that says “An error has occured while starting the U3 Launchpad due to a problem with one of its components. Remove and reinsert your U3 smartdrive.  If the problem persists, contact the U3 smartdrive manufacturer”.  I have tried this many times, to no avail.

When I look in “My Computer”, the (empty) CD folder shows up as “U3 system” and the usb drive shows up as “backup usb”.  The usb drive indicates that there is only “3.33GB  free of 7.47GB” which corresponds with the approx 4GB of files that I would expect to be backed up.  When I click into the usb drive in “My Computer”, I can click into a “My Backup” folder which contains 4 subfolders each containing hundreds of numbered files.  This would seem to correspond with the Documents, Music, Videos, Photos I would expect to be stored (eg with filepath: F:\My Backup\Home-PC-MYNAME\FILES\00000000), but when I click on the files they will not open and, in properties, the file type is marked only as “FILE”. 

Is there a way of retrieving these files, or did I make an irretrievable mistake at the point of saving the backup?  I would be very grateful for any advice.  Many thanks in advance. 

From the transcript of my conversation with a Sandisk rep, it looks as though recovery is not possible. :confounded:

Your Question: Please could you help with this problem, posted on the forum: http://forums.sandisk.com/t5/All-SanDisk-USB-Flash-Drives/How-to-retrieve-back-up-files-from-SanDisk-Ultra-Backup-usb/td-p/295133

John D. (Listening)

John D.: Hello, thank you for contacting SanDisk. My name is John D… Please give me a moment while I look into your question.
 a: Thanks
 John D.: In order to help you, please provide the 2 Alphanumeric product codes located on the back of the drive and the color of the drive to determine which SanDisk product you have? 
 a: I’ll get those now
 John D.: Sure,
 a: black drive
 a: SDCZ40-008G
 John D.: There is one more series of letters and numbers written on the back of the drive, may I please have that as well?

a: BIO905NSAB
 John D.: Thank you.
 John D.: Is the back up button is not working? 
 a: The back up button is working but what I am trying to do now is open the backed up files
 a: As I said on the forum, I bought a SanDisk Ultra Backup 8gb usb drive in November 2011 and used it to backup files on my  Windows 7 (64 bit) Dell laptop.  My hard drive failed early in 2012 but I was unable to retrieve the files on my backup drive when I tried to do so by inserting the drive into the usb port on my Windows 7 (32 bit) Samsung netbook.

Honestly, I don’t think I knew what I was doing when I bought the back up drive and I never tested it or explored its functions before my hard drive failed. I just plugged it into the port and pressed the backup button and trusted it to do the job.  I gave up quickly when I first struggled to retrieve my files and now a year later I am trying again, but feel as though I have no idea what to do.

When I insert the drive into my usb port, I get a pop up message that says “An error has occured while starting the U3 Launchpad due to a problem with one of its components. Remove and reinsert your U3 smartdrive.  If the problem persists, contact the U3 smartdrive manufacturer”.  I have tried this many times, to no avail.

When I look in “My Computer”, the (empty) CD folder shows up as “U3 system” and the usb drive shows up as “backup usb”.  The usb drive indicates that there is only “3.33GB  free of 7.47GB” which corresponds with the approx 4GB of files that I would expect to be backed up.  When I click into the usb drive in “My Computer”, I can click into a “My Backup” folder which contains 4 subfolders each containing hundreds of numbered files.  This would seem to correspond with the Documents, Music, Videos, Photos I would expect to be stored (eg with filepath: F:\My Backup\Home-PC-MYNAME\FILES\00000000), but when I click on the files they will not open and, in properties, the file type is marked only as “FILE”. 

John D.: Please allow me a minute.
 a: no problem
 John D.: Thank you. 
 John D.: Thank you for your patience.
 John D.: U3 Technology is at End Of Life and SanDisk began phasing out support for U3 Technology in late 2009. U3 was originally developed to enable downloading portable applications to run from flash drives without installing on a computer. 
 John D.: The U3 applications are no longer available to download. Removing the U3 application and partition will make the flash drive function like a normal storage drive which is easier to use. However formatting will delete all the data from the drive.
 John D.: Would you like me to assist you in removing the U3 application?  
 a: So is there nothing I can do to retrieve my files?
 John D.: Is the drive password protected? 
 a: no
 John D.: Please be informed that SanDisk does not provide data recovery. As your product is no longer functional, you will need to send it to a data recovery company. 

John D.: They will attempt to recover data on your product. SanDisk recommends contacting LC Technologies to recover the data as they specialize in our products. 

John D.: Below is a link to LC Technology service description and current pricing. They have special pricing for SanDisk products.

http://datarecovery.lc-tech.com/sandisk-recovery-pricing.html

You can also call them at 866-603-2195
 a: So the drive was not functional by the time I bought it in 2011?!
 a: Is there nothing you can do to help?
 John D.: A, after removing the U3 from the drive you can use it as a normal storage device. 
 a: But what I want is the files I backed up.  It is a backup disk.  I am not interested in storage space, it is my backed up files I want.
 John D.: I understand, however as I said U3 is no longer functional so if you are looking to recover the data you can contact the LC- Technology in order to recover the data. 
 a: But that is ridiculous.  It would cost me $175 to recover files from a disk I bought specifically to back up my data!
 John D.: I apologize for all the inconvenience caused to you.    

If anyone else can help, I would be very grateful.

I don’t know about the SanDisk backup app as I’ve never used it.  But I have used U3 and on a Windows 7 64-bit system and on it  I have to run the U3 Launchpad in Compatibility mode to which I find Vista SP2 works.  Others may also.  I don’t recall having that problem on the Win 7 32-bit system.

If you password protected your files and if  you remember the password and if  you get Launchpad to run you may be able to access your files.

You can try  the Data Recovery.Data Recovery provides you a powerful and safe solution to complete the data recovery from computer, hard drive, flash drive, memory card, digital camera, etc,. It’s the best choice to recover lost data for mistake deletion, formatted partition, hard drive problem, RAW hard drive, crashed computer or other causes.