Help...There is no STOP!

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again:

Enigma does a lot more for this forum than most other people do, even if he *MIGHT* come off as arrogant at times. It all depends on how you take it, and if you can’t take a politely worded reply to a complaint that’s baseless in nature… Why even be online? Surely there’s far worse to be said than what he has said. 

Hey, don’t bag on Enigma, our resident guru and fellow sansa curmudgeon. 

Take the time to browse the right side posting information for the most common names, helping everyone daily.

My bet is you’ll see Enigma listed right down the bar.

And none of us are on the payroll, we are here to help on our own dime.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

Thumbs up, buddy! 

@flymajorfly wrote:

I am a newbie here. Bought the Sansa Fuze today from BestBuy and am very pleased with it.

So far, it seems to me…the mp3 music can only be paused, not stopped. Say you go to main Home page after you finished listening to music, there is this PAUSE thing showing on the bar at the bottom. When I am done with the music, I just want to STOP it completely. How to?

Same thing happens to the radio. Once you come back to Home after you are DONE listening to the radio, it still plays at the bar at the bottom. How to STOP or quit radio completely?  

I am w/ you on this one. I really would like to have the device take me back to the main menu on start-up, rather then the last song I was listening to (if this is already possible please correct me). Seems like it would be really easy to fix (atleast satisfy quite a few old timers) by adding the stop feature to the music options menu. Just another choice like shuffle or rate song. All it would have to say is Stop Song.

@drlucky wrote:

i can not think of one current mp3 player with a stop button.

if you want to stop a song from playing just pause it. this make it very easy to come back to the same place where you left off.

sorry you do not like it but that is the way all devices i know of are. (including ipod)

Actually my iRiver H320 has a STOP button…I’m used to either just shutting my iRiver off if a song is still playing or pressing STOP when I’m done and shutting off…and upon starting it up again…being at the home screen ready to select what I want to hear…its kinda weird to have the Fuze have the song in the place you last left off…there should be some kinda of STOP so you can reboot next time with nothing ready to play…I ain’t complaining…just saying :slight_smile:

Message Edited by vice86 on 12-12-2008 11:37 AM

Joshtee,

There’s a VERY easy way to jump to your main menu on start-up ( or anywhere for that matter), just press that lil’ button with the house diagram above it. The HOME button can be pressed anytime (except  when recording) to go to your main menu. You can even go to your main menu with the radio or music still playing, by simply pressing that button. 

IMO, a STOP button?!  that’s one more button on this thing that I agree would deem unecessary for a toy that has no moving parts. And that ticker at the bottom of the screen showing whatever you paused at last, is actually not just for looks… it’s a feature that shortcuts you back to whatever you were listening to last, by simply pressing the HOME button. You know, that lil’ button with the house diagram above it. ( positioned at 2 o’clock outside the scroll wheel). 

…and please don’t flame ENIGMA, without helpful people like him (or her). This forum wouldn’t be about finding a solution to your problem, but just a place to vent your problem and feel good about b!tchin about it here when other posts chime in on the same gripe, not expecting help. You’re reading way too much into Enigma’s word structuring in his posts if you think he’s trying to come of as arrogant. Forums are like text messaging on those silly cell phones- only emotion or tone of voice you can read is exclamation marks and those silly lil smiley face emoticon thingy dudes. :wink:LOL (Yea i said dude! I live in Norcal, cali! ):stuck_out_tongue:

So relax everyone… it’s FRIDAY!!:smileyvery-happy:

oops sorry Joshtee, that second part wasn’t toward you, it was to whoever was b!tchin bout Enigma. :wink:

@enigma wrote:

@tifosi wrote:

I guessed as much with the ipod as it has the same general controls as sansas top end offerings. I dislike it even more that it’s a precedent that others including sansa have followed as the defacto standard without redesign or rational though.

‘car with no brakes’

very apt.

Easy enough to work around, just turn your brain to mush and think pause each time you want stop.

S

this is a silly topic thats i have seen brought up 101 times.

Theres no logical reason for a stop button. You had a stop button on tape tecks and cd players because there was physical parts moving and stuff had to stop moving.

Theres no point to this in a product that has no moving parts.

I mean really, lets say we are listening to music. We decide we want to stop the music, to do what? turn it off? play somethign else? look at pictures? I mean why do you have the need to stop something that there is no need to, just select the next action.

It was a marketing design and idea that stuck to us in old generations and is simply going to fade out. Your kids dont have a problem with it, and either will the next generations.

I bet you still use windows 98 as well. =P

Message Edited by Enigma on 04-01-2008 07:56 AM

Enigma

Your logical reasoning in claiming that there is no logical reason for a stop button is truly impressive!!???. This is an old thread but I feel I must resurrect it. It is truly abominable that there is no stop on these devices! 

It is bad interface design whether or not Ipod does it. One reason it is bad interface design is that most people expect a stop function! That by itself is a valid reason to have one on any Mp3 player. But there are other reasons too:

1. Sometimes you want to clear whatever you were doing on the device and hand it to someone else to start at the beginning. Its more convenient for somebody to start at a clean home than to deal with your clutter. Or maybe you don’t want them to be treated to what you were listening to!

For example I bought a Sansa Fuze for my wife and I put all her favorite music on it. I was going to put it back in the package and then give it to her. But because I tested it by playing a song she will now be treated to what I was playing when she opens it up rather than a clean fresh home screen.

Think about if you brought your Sansa home from the store and found a paused video on it the first time you start it up. Thats what the factory guy watched last! I bet you would not like it.

1. The scroll at the bottom of the screen that shows what is paused is needlessly using up screen real estate while you are in the menus.

2. A paused music track makes it more difficult to navigate to and change settings on the player as a misplaced button touch starts it up again

3. A paused music track makes it more difficult for me to stop the player to talk to somebody since if the player is in my hand or in my pocket it is liable to start playing again at the slightest misplaced touch

4. The lack of a stop function steepens the learning curve for many mp3 player users as it is unintuitive and the expect to find the functionality.

5. Finally you don’t get rid of functionality that people have used for generations, just because you can’t see a logical reason for it ; after all If you can’t, perhaps others can! 

You get rid of functionality because the cost of having it exceeds its benefit . In the case of a stop function it is trivial to implement therefore its cost is very low and its benefits are great for at least a substantial segment of the market. They don’t even need a separate button for it. They can just program one of the existing buttons such that if you hold it down, it clears everything and returns to the home screen.

Finally did I mention that many many customers expect this! Maybe they should get it. It is truly braindead design to have no stop function. Give me a break  designers. It may be Apple but its not cutting edge design. Its just plain dumb. Drop the fad already.

emk

When I first got my Fuze I was trying to figure ut where the Stop button was. I paused the music and when I could not find the stop button I thought ‘meh it’s stopped playing’

I agree the “Stop” function is an old paradigm that people need to get used to not seeing any more. It took me about 5-10 seconds on the Fuze.

@flymajorfly wrote:

I am a newbie here. Bought the Sansa Fuze today from BestBuy and am very pleased with it.

So far, it seems to me…the mp3 music can only be paused, not stopped. Say you go to main Home page after you finished listening to music, there is this PAUSE thing showing on the bar at the bottom. When I am done with the music, I just want to STOP it completely. How to?

Same thing happens to the radio. Once you come back to Home after you are DONE listening to the radio, it still plays at the bar at the bottom. How to STOP or quit radio completely? 

in order to stop the music completely without radio here are the steps:

1. access the videos menu

2. click on a video

3. press the menu button to stop the video and the music

Ta-dah!!

Simple enough.

ENIGMA!!!

DUDE!!! NICELY PUT!!! :stuck_out_tongue: No better way of saying that!!! My Vote Goes To THIS DUDE!!!

Message Edited by hustla816 on 01-11-2009 01:28 AM

A resurrected thread.  Look at the scroll wheel: you have play / pause, reverse, forward, and the submenu button at the bottom.  The center button is the “enter” key.  A separate Home key has its function.  Not much room to add a stop button, is there. 

During any song, a tap of the home button brings you to the main menu.

If you had a “complete stop”, why would you prefer navigating from square one every time you pick up the player?

Know what really, really bugs me?  If you can figure out how to reset this forum screen after it balloons out to super ultra crazy wide technicolor cinerama, now that’s the STOP button I’m looking for.

-Edit- How about that!  I rolled to a new page, and reset the widescreen.  Cool.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Message Edited by neutron_bob on 01-11-2009 08:56 AM

“Technology changes everyday, as someone with 2 computer degrees is aware.”  - Enigma

I have two as well genius and I still want a ****ing stop button.  For nothing else than the simple fact that it is annoying seeing that “ticker tape” ■■■■ at the bottom.  AND I want to see the time on it as well which is blocked by the ■■■■ scrolling across.  That’s something those of you who spoke first without thinking seem to have missed.  Don’t act like those of us that want a stop feature are dinosaurs.  No, we don’t want an actual “clicking” stop button like the ones on old tape cassettes.  We just want the option to turn off the scrolling ■■■■ at the bottom without having to jump through 20 hoops for it.

Think before you post.

@g00fydad wrote:

“Technology changes everyday, as someone with 2 computer degrees is aware.”  - Enigma

I have two as well genius and I still want a ****ing stop button.  For nothing else than the simple fact that it is annoying seeing that “ticker tape” ■■■■ at the bottom.  AND I want to see the time on it as well which is blocked by the ■■■■ scrolling across.  That’s something those of you who spoke first without thinking seem to have missed.  Don’t act like those of us that want a stop feature are dinosaurs.  No, we don’t want an actual “clicking” stop button like the ones on old tape cassettes.  We just want the option to turn off the scrolling ■■■■ at the bottom without having to jump through 20 hoops for it.

Think before you post.

“Think before you post”…interesting that your first post here is somewhat hostile. There are many points of view here, but let’s have constructive criticism instead of resurrecting old arguments and stirred up emotions. :smiley:

Weak…

My Sansa Fuze does not have a STOP button.

My Trekstor Vibez did not have a STOP button.

My Rio Karma does not have a STOP button.

My wife’s Rio Chiba does not have a STOP button.

My father-in-law’s Rio Carbon does not have a STOP button.

My best friends Microsoft Zune does not have a STOP button.

You can’t see the time?!? People didn’t think of that because no one is using the Fuze as a clock. That’s what we have cell phones for. :smiley:

I vote for a STOP button.  

To respond to critics of the Right-To-Stop:

1. No space for button:   No button is needed.  Just add a “STOP” item to the list menu (bottom of the wheel brings up options)

2) No other MP3 players have it:  Try the excellent (but different use category) Sony ICDUX70 Digital Voice Recorder

1. Scrolling marquees are annoying clutter!!!  (CNN, MSNBC, and Sansa included (with or without hiding the time).  Nuff said.   Thanks very much for the workaround (Record>Stop>Don’t Save)

2. Due to the issue with the new firmware (video converted by Sansa Media Converter) opening as ‘Music’ and locking machine)…it would have been nice to be able to just “STOP” that silly video file and move on to a real MP3).  I’m back on an older (.17A) firmware. See the following link for details:
    http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=28235

3. Last but not least, is more choice a bad thing?  Is the consumer always wrong?  Is SanDisk really surprised that this issue comes up so much?  Maybe that should be a clue…

So far I really like the hardware.   Disappointed in the lack of TRUE MPEG4 support (usable with anything except the SMC which doesn’t quite seem to have the resolution of Quicktime Pro conversions, but that’s just grumbling).

2) No other MP3 players have it:  Try the excellent (but different use category) Sony ICDUX70 Digital Voice Recorder

Show me a DAP (Digital Audio Player) or PMP (Portable Media Player) that has a STOP button. Not a voice recorder.

@peregrine wrote:

Show me a DAP (Digital Audio Player) or PMP (Portable Media Player) that has a STOP button. Not a voice recorder.

Peregrine is 100% correct…and I’ll add that there’s no way I would go back to the older firmwares now. Give up folder nav and track info? Over my dead body:wink:

And I like scrolling  marquees! And as Peregrine said before, I don’t use it as a clock/watch…I have a cell phone for that. :stuck_out_tongue:

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 06-25-2009 12:27 PM

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 06-25-2009 12:30 PM

I have a watch for that. And it’s 100% analog.

@dellanderson wrote:

I vote for a STOP button.  

To respond to critics of the Right-To-Stop:

< 1 through 4 snipped > 

1. Last but not least, is more choice a bad thing?  Is the consumer always wrong?  Is SanDisk really surprised that this issue comes up so much?  Maybe that should be a clue…

Once every 2 - 4 months? Out of all the thousands of messsages that get posted here in the same time frame? I doubt SanDisk is surprised at all, or would even consider this an issue.