Haunted Clip

My sansa clip sporatically turns off and on by itself.  It’s kind of freaky.  Sometimes it works fine, and sometimes I can’t get it to stay on and be nice.  What happened?  And what can I do to reset it?  I’ve had it for about a year and a half and it just started acting up about a month ago. HELP!

I’d try, if not recently done:  a system re-set–Clip off, hold the on switch uppermost for 15-20 seconds; a reapplication of the firmware (it could have become corrupted over time)–see the sticky thread on firmware upgrade at the top of the forum; and/or a reformat, from the Clip’s settings (note:  this will erase your content on the Clip).

Thanks for the quick reply!  I did try both of those things before I wrote.  It’s actually even more sporatic now, after I updated the firmware to .32.  I’m having a hard time doing anything with it, since it has a mind of its own and keeps turning off before I can get anywhere, even though the battery is fully charged.  Everytime it turns on it seems to go to a default (which also changes sporatically) like FM Radio 89.1,(which is not a station) instead of turning on to the last station I was listening to, like it used to.  It also turns off and on sporatically when I have it plugged into my computer to charge or try to add music.  Very frustrating.  Is there anything else to try???

Did you also try a reformat from the Clip’s Settings?  That also can help in inexplicable circumstances.  Note:  it will erase the content on your Clip.

Yes, I did reformat and yes, it did wipe out all my music.  I wasn’t aware that it was going to do that before hand so I was a bit surprised :)  Luckily it’s still on my laptop.  I’m concerned that it won’t seem to stay on now for more that 5-10 seconds.  Not enough time to get to the settings and even if I have time to set things properly, they’re all set back the next time it happens to come on.  Still wanting to make this work…any other suggestions?

mnmom6 wrote:

…any other suggestions?

Really???  That’s all you have for me?  Hilarious, but sad! :smileyvery-happy:  :cry:

Time to telephone SanDisk Customer Support?

If you’ve had it for a year & a half, I don’t know how much help Tech Support will be able to give you. But look on the bright side . . . now you have a good reason to get one of the new Clip+'s with better firmware AND an SD card slot!

Sorry to tell you that it sounds like a bad solder joint in the battery connection. Every now and then it opens up resetting the clip.

If you are technically inclined, you can try opening the unit and touching up the bad solder joint. Opening the clip is not easy since they use an aggressive snap-lock. Do this as an absolute last resort.