Half my footage is missing, but was once visible in playback before transfer

We shot on a Blackmagic Pocket cam, we got to our editors location. We reviewed only a few scenes in camera before transfering to a Mac Laptop. After the transfer, we noticed we were missing a large number of clips. Clips which seconds ago were reviewable in camera. When we looked at the “get Info” stats, we noticed that there was a large amount of data on the card. We ran a disc utility to verify the disk. There were tons of errors stating that there were documents that were beyond the directory ./thrashes.

We ejected and tested it on a PC to see if we got a different result. We got worse results. Same missing footage but now less data. We tried again on a Mac Desktop, there was less data missing but at this point since the error message was the same, we went forward and “repaired disc.”  Footage was not restored, and the data value didn’t change. We double checked on a PC, and found that it wouldn’t even recognize the disc.

Is there anyway to possibly save the footage or we up the creek? The card is 4months old.  Card was bought through B&H.

:smiley:   Hi Mmeisley,

_ Dear member of SanDisk Community, welcome. _

A-    [  We double checked on a PC, and found that it wouldn’t even recognize the disc. ]

B-   [  Is there anyway to possibly save the footage or we up the creek? The card is 4 months old.]

Try another SD card in the camera.

A-

A1-    Please, clean the pins on the card and the camara slot, with isopropyl alcohol (or common).

A2-    Put the SD, in a laptop, directly to its port-card, with a good adapter (not a card reader).

A3-   In Start / My Computer, on the card icon, click the right mouse button, and then click in Properties / Tools / Error Checking and Repair.

A4-   If still bad, and is not recognized the SD card in the computer, sorry: it is dead, ist kaputt.

B-   

B1-   Then, software recovery, can not act.

B2-  Return it, is defective.

B3-  Consult  in technical support SanDisk. Link: http://www.sandisk.com/about-sandisk/contact-us/

Luck.

Regards, Alfred.                                                          (Google translated)

Recover the data from your SD card by making use of a recovery tool. Here’s how you do it http://youtu.be/JR8YG58DfjM

Sorry to hear about the footage, but can you see the .trashes file?

If you can, it may be as simple as dragging those files across to the Mac . . … if not, you’ll need to find a way to “see” the hidden files on your mac (I have an applescript which will do this, but there’s plenty out there - just use Google) - then try the same drag method.

If they’re not visible in the .trashes file, chances are you’re buggered!

The only other thing I can suggest, is - once you can see the hidden files, there are sometimes other files created on the card by the Mac OS, try checking each folder using (cmd+i) to see where the larger files might be located, then open and see if your video is in there.

That’s all I have I’m afraid!