Gapless?

Page 5 of the manual says that the Clip+ supports gapless playback…can anyone confirm this?

I can confirm the manual says that :wink:

One ‘Doug’ confirms it works here. I’d like some more user experiences to confirm it works well though.

@7o9 wrote:

One ‘Doug’ confirms it works here. I’d like some more user experiences to confirm it works well though.

If it is for real, then with folder browsing, track info, gapless, Replay Gain support, all that’s left to wish for would be a better-executed EQ! …assuming the pitch is cured, of course.  :wink:

@marvin_martian wrote:

@7o9 wrote:

If it is for real, then with folder browsing, track info, gapless, Replay Gain support, all that’s left to wish for would be a better-executed EQ! …assuming the pitch is cured, of course.  :wink:

And higher capacity…

Some people have tested the gapless claim over at http://www.anythingbutipod.com but I encourage anybody that picks up a Clip+ to try it out and let us know their findings here.

@marvin_martian wrote:

Some people have tested the gapless claim over at http://www.anythingbutipod.com but I encourage anybody that picks up a Clip+ to try it out and let us know their findings here.

Even with “gapless” players, there can be a slight glitch.  It’s not so much the fault with the players, but the ripping process.  Unless the ripping software can “cut” the cd exactly at the sector boundaries, a bit of a “blip” will be heard.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Even with “gapless” players, there can be a slight glitch.  It’s not so much the fault with the players, but the ripping process.  Unless the ripping software can “cut” the cd exactly at the sector boundaries, a bit of a “blip” will be heard.

Maybe a good test might be to verify gapless-ness of the audio files by listening to them on a PC, and then on the Clip+?

@promisedplanet wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

Maybe a good test might be to verify gapless-ness of the audio files by listening to them on a PC, and then on the Clip+?

Yeah, that would be a good way to do it…

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@marvin_martian wrote:

That seems to be what I’ve found–a quick and softer click-like sound in the music flow 1 song to the next.

"If it is for real, then with folder browsing, track info, gapless, Replay Gain support, all that’s left to wish for would be a better-executed EQ! …assuming the pitch is cured, of course. "

I never use the equilizer. What is most important to me is variable speed playback(from half to double speed) with pitch correction. I spend more time listening to lectures and podcasts on my players than I do for music. Some speakers speak agonizingly slow, and it is very annoying to listen to them at less than 1.5x or 1.7X.

@jk98 wrote:

I never use the equilizer. What is most important to me is variable speed playback(from half to double speed) with pitch correction. I spend more time listening to lectures and podcasts on my players than I do for music. Some speakers speak agonizingly slow, and it is very annoying to listen to them at less than 1.5x or 1.7X.

I don’t use the EQ of my Clip either, because it doesn’t work well.  I really would only need it for one pair of headphones I have, so my solution is to simply not use them with the Clip, as I have 3 other sets that work fine with it.

After using a Soundcraftsmen 30 band EQ for almost 30 years, it’s hard to stomach the EQ’s on Personal Media Players.  I rarely use EQ of any kind for that reason.

GB, there’s a name from the past.  I used to visit Souncraftsmen (Martron) when they built them in Santa Ana, California.  The engineer’s choice, solid and ugly, NAB rack chassis, cool gain adjustment LEDs on the face.

I still have a PM1600, about 75 pounds of power-outlet-melting breaker-popping MOSFET happiness.  I have the original schematics from the designer himself.  Pity they sold to Mitek (MTX) years ago, but what can you do?

Bob  :cry:

Assuming properly ripped gapless files (gapless tagged mp3, level etc matched between last sample of one track and first of the next), if there’s a slight glitch on playback it could mean that Sansa did the pre-buffering but not the mp3 gap elimination.  

If I recall rightly, the inherent mp3 gap is on the order of 10-15 ms and would be perceived as a slight click while the buffering problem is a noticeable emptiness.

Since mp3 is a lossy compression using hearing/masking models with a time window, I think you need some coordination between the end of one track and the beginning of the next to be absolutely seamless.  I’ve heard that Lame can do that.

With a lossless format like FLAC that wouldn’t be an issue.  At any rate this effect should be minor compared to the gap itself.

Why are so many so obsessed with gapless? Many songs have a few seconds of silence before or after the song. Do you edit all your songs to remove these silent periods?

@jk98 wrote:
Why are so many so obsessed with gapless? Many songs have a few seconds of silence before or after the song. Do you edit all your songs to remove these silent periods?

My guess is that people don’t want gaps between songs that DON’T have a few seconds of silence before or after the song, when they’re listening to albums straight through.  Prog rock fans, maybe.:manvery-happy:
Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 09-03-2009 12:52 PM

@jk98 wrote:

No, it’s for albums like Dark Side of the Moon and The Wall,and concert recordings,  where the songs flow together seamlessly. I guess it’s also common with newer electronic DJ mixes. I only have 3 or 4 albums that are meant to be gapless, so for them I simply transcode them from FLAC to a single-track LAME V0 mp3.

If I had lots of gapless albums, I would be more worried about it myself. I just started this thread because of gapless’ enormous popularity, so that maybe the question could be answered for others.

I just ripped a 40 year old vinyl album last night (Simon & Garfunkel’s “Bookends”)  and noticed that most of the tracks are gapless.  

Abbey Rd and DSOM are the most cited examples from the days of vinyl, but  there are more out there than just live concert albums. 

edit: I’m finding comedy and classical too.  Gapless just spans all the genres. 

Message Edited by donp on 09-03-2009 02:11 PM

Almost every Pink Floyd album including and after DSOM.  :wink:

Any of the THOUSANDS of dance mix / chillout mix albums available:

Supperclub

Cafe Del mar Chillhouse

Buddha Bar (and it’s myriad spinoffs)

Ministry Of Sound

Hed Kandi

Dimitri From Paris

DJ Tiesto

Armin Van Buuren

Paul Oakenfold

…not to mention many contemporary pop and rock artists (Madonna / Black Eyed Peas) and God knows who else.

In short, It’s Everywhere.

Gapless ain’t a minority - it’s mainstream.