Gapless?

JK98 wrote: What is most important to me is variable speed playback(from half to double speed) with pitch correction. I spend more time listening to lectures and podcasts on my players than I do for music. Some speakers speak agonizingly slow, and it is very annoying to listen to them at less than 1.5x or 1.7X.

Do any low-cost portable players do this?  I listen to podcasts on my PC with WMP at 1.1x or 1.2x, and the pitch is corrected.  But the Slow and Fast speeds on the Clip+ are useless since they do not correct the pitch.

@melman wrote:

JK98 wrote: What is most important to me is variable speed playback(from half to double speed) with pitch correction. I spend more time listening to lectures and podcasts on my players than I do for music. Some speakers speak agonizingly slow, and it is very annoying to listen to them at less than 1.5x or 1.7X.

Do any low-cost portable players do this?  I listen to podcasts on my PC with WMP at 1.1x or 1.2x, and the pitch is corrected.  But the Slow and Fast speeds on the Clip+ are useless since they do not correct the pitch.

C’mon now, they [SanDisk] can’t (more like won’t) get the pitch right when it’s playing at normal speed. Do you really think they’re going to install pitch correction for slow and/or FF speeds?

I’m reminded of the Supertramp hit “Dreamer”. :smileyvery-happy:

@tapeworm wrote:

C’mon now, they [SanDisk] can’t (more like won’t) get the pitch right when it’s playing at normal speed. Do you really think they’re going to install pitch correction for slow and/or FF speeds?

I’m reminded of the Supertramp hit “Dreamer”. :smileyvery-happy:

:smileyvery-happy:   This gave me my biggest chuckle today.  Thank you!   :smileyvery-happy:

@melman wrote:

Not sure what this is doing in a “gapless” thread, but…  My old Neuros has that, but it’s long out of production.  It is listed as a new feature in the latest Rockbox release, so maybe it works on Fuze even though that isn’t a full release yet.

I’m finding that gapless does not work on my 8 GB Clip+.  Noticable clicks between songs on DSOTM.  No gap of silence, but an irritating and distracting click that varies in loudness track to track.  I’ve tested FLAC and MP3 so far.  It’s my only complaint about the Clip+ at this point.  Besides that, I think it’s quite a bargain of a player.

@7o9 wrote:

I can confirm the manual says that :wink:

One ‘Doug’ confirms it works here. I’d like some more user experiences to confirm it works well though.

However, judging by your description, Epic Fail ln the gapless.

Back to the drawing board, Sandisk.

At least with my player and MP3 VBR tunes, far from an epic fail–just a slight click like a quick, muted skip on a vinyl LP.  Of course, would be better if not there, but still.

That to me is an Epic Fail.  The Cowon S9 is utterly seamless.  As far as I’m concerned, if you’re going to claim a feature then you provide it properly - else don’t claiom it.

Well, hopefully the claim of gapless indicates a motivation to make the Clip+ gapless.  When I saw some online reviews, most reviewers briefly mentioned the gapless feature or didn’t mention it at all.  It seems like something important that should be talked about more in a review.  Maybe it’s because a lot of the computer type magazine reviewers would be less inclined to look at this feature in detail than a user that’s mostly music oriented. 

I’m not a tech expert, but it seems like gapless is only a matter of an adequate firmware update and a willingness to include the feature.  It doesn’t seem to be technologically out of reach for companies to make their players gapless capable.  Since the Clip+ is still a new player, I’m hoping that Sansa will put some effort into making this player truly gapless, to take care of their customers and to increase sales of the Clip+.

Message Edited by richter on 11-18-2009 04:30 PM

It is HYGELY^ important, especially in tis era of continuous mixes and concept albums.  Apple and Cowon (and even Microsoft) all recognise this and have implemented it.  Cowon held TWO public betas for the S9 to ensure they got it right.  i am now waiting for Sandisk to follow their lead and implement it for the Clip, Clip+ and Fuze.

richter wrote:

I’m finding that gapless does not work on my 8 GB Clip+.  Noticable clicks between songs on DSOTM.  No gap of silence, but an irritating and distracting click that varies in loudness track to track.  I’ve tested FLAC and MP3 so far.  It’s my only complaint about the Clip+ at this point.  Besides that, I think it’s quite a bargain of a player.

7o9 wrote:

I can confirm the manual says that :wink:

One ‘Doug’ confirms it works here. I’d like some more user experiences to confirm it works well though.

Yeah, I just got a Clip+ 8gb and my ogg files a have a brief “gap” in between.  Sorry Sandisk, back to drawing board, I guess.  :neutral_face:

I just reencoded my music using dbpoweramp to q4 128 .ogg (not sure about other codecs) with dsps replaygain and trim silence = dbsilence - 44.4db and 0.1 detection threshhold and guess what?  Totally gapless!  Just thought I’d share.  :smiley:

Message Edited by fla_hotrod on 12-25-2009 04:15 AM