Gapless mp3s ?

@miikerman wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

@richter wrote:

Unfortunately, once again, the well intentioned, but in my opinion misguided Sandisk apologists continue to minimize and rationalize their way around the fact that gapless functionality, as advertised by Sandisk and listed in the manual that Sandisk wrote, is a crock.

There was even a recent firmware update to the Clip+. Gapless wasn’t mentioned in the “known issues.” 

It appears that Sandisk continues to be in denial that gapless does not work on the Clip+.

See my post about this issue following the recent firmware update on the Sandisk “product feature suggestions” forum:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=featuresuggestions&thread.id=1531

Message Edited by richter on 02-11-2010 05:34 AM

With all due respect, having a different experience than you or not thinking that an issue is as big as you do does not make one a SanDisk “apologist.”    :wink:

I don’t find the less-than-perfect gapless MP3 play a dealbreaker, and it is close to being fine, in my opinion.   Of course, it would be good for SanDisk to get it all the way there, having said that …

Do you speak for every owner of a Clip+?  Just because you don’t find it a problem, I am assuming many owners or potential owners will find the less-than-perfect gapless a deal breaker.

Richter has a point.  It was foolish on Sandisk’s part to advertise a player as gapless, when it isn’t glitchless gapless.

My guess, judging by Sandisk’s track record, that the Clip+ will never have glitchless gapless playback… and I’m sure it will be a deal breaker for many.

Everyone has certain aspects of a player’s feature-set that are extremely important to that individual.  What is extremely important to one person, may not be important at all to the next. When I had a Clip+, I personally didn’t mind the less-than-perfect gapless; it was the cheap looking plastic appearance of the thing, as if I just pulled it out of a box of Cracker Jack, that bothered me the most

But…If you ask 10 people what’s the most important feature a player must have, you’ll probably get 10 different responses.

Thank you for your point-of-view, as a former Clip+ owner.  I guess, in reading my comment, you twice overlooked my stating that my comment was my own personal view (which certainly is not an apology for anyone, and which certainly I am entitled to have, as one of the “10 people” you refer to):  " I don’t find …" and “in my opinion …” 

Sorry, I didn’t overlook anything.  By the way your comments were written, you made it seem that Richter shouldn’t be documenting that there is a very real problem with the Clip+'s gapless capability.  That’s great if a feature that is documented by Sandisk is flawed, can be overlooked by you; but many owners or potential owners will not accept the way the Clip+ operates in it’s current form.

I think the major point richter and others are making is to alert Sandisk of the flawed nature of the product; not if you or others can tolerate the defect.

Now the ball, again, is in Sandisk’s court.  Are they again going to claim that they won’t address the issue because it’s a “value player”, or are they going to remedy the flaw?

Nope, not negating anyone’s opinion, just providing my own (not SanDisk’s) as well that the gapless that was adopted for MP3, in my use and opinion, is better than not having it and almost there; but also noting, as I did before, that it would be nice for SanDisk to get it all the way there, if possible.  (And I agree that a “value player” line would not be terribly comforting–including given that there are numerous mainstay players at or approaching the Clips).

@miikerman wrote:
Nope, not negating anyone’s opinion, just providing my own (not SanDisk’s) as well that the gapless that was adopted for MP3, in my use and opinion, is better than not having it and almost there; but also noting, as I did before, that it would be nice for SanDisk to get it all the way there, if possible.  (And I agree that a “value player” line would not be terribly comforting–including given that there are numerous mainstay players at or approaching the Clips).

Glad that the Clip+ is acceptable for your needs.  For me, I’ve pretty much lost all hope for any current or future Sandisk player, for my needs.  I won’t clutter up the thread any further.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Glad that the Clip+ is acceptable for your needs.  For me, I’ve pretty much lost all hope for any current or future Sandisk player, for my needs.  I won’t clutter up the thread any further.

You returned your clip+? 

@summerlove wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

You returned your clip+? 

Yup.  I don’t knock anyone who is enjoying their Clip+; it just isn’t for me.  Too small, less than stellar battery performance, and an overall cheap-looking device.  If I had to pick a current Sandisk player that more closely suits my needs, it would have to be the Fuze.

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@summerlove wrote:

@fuze_owner_gb wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

You returned your clip+? 

Yup.  I don’t knock anyone who is enjoying their Clip+; it just isn’t for me.  Too small, less than stellar battery performance, and an overall cheap-looking device.  If I had to pick a current Sandisk player that more closely suits my needs, it would have to be the Fuze.

Hmm the small size is exactly why I like it, especially with a 16gb card in it.  Cheap looking doesn’t concern me, as long as it works the way I like it.  It actually gets more use than my s9 and my rockboxed fuze (or clip) combined at the moment, although I love using all of them. Tactile buttons and tiny size are great when trying to get around the city.  I charge my phone daily so I’m alright battery wise.

Each to his/her own.

Yep, and that’s why SanDisk has both the Clip and Fuze options.  Although I do understand those who wish the Clip was just a tad bigger (probably thicker) to get 50-100% more battery life.  Always hard to make the trade-offs for a manufacturer.