Fuze scrolls through tracks in 'unknown' folder without playing any

Hello everyone. I hope somebody can help me clear up an issue with my Fuze 4gb.

It’s been placing random albums and tracks in the ‘unknown’ folder for as long as I’ve had it (almost two years). A little irritating, but it never bothered me to the extent of trying to find out why.

Recently, however, when I click on any track in that folder, the Fuze starts scrolling through all of them (there are about 40 of them in there at present), never playing any and requiring me to reset it each time, or press the home button and access the main music folders from there.

From reading this forum I’m guessing that bad or absent ID tags may be to blame, although some of the tracks in the folder are also present in their respective album folders, and will play just fine from there.

So, might formatting the player and installing mp3tags on my PC – as others with similar problems have been advised to do in the past – correct the problem?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

@kpg wrote:

Hello everyone. I hope somebody can help me clear up an issue with my Fuze 4gb.

It’s been placing random albums and tracks in the ‘unknown’ folder for as long as I’ve had it (almost two years). A little irritating, but it never bothered me to the extent of trying to find out why.

Recently, however, when I click on any track in that folder, the Fuze starts scrolling through all of them (there are about 40 of them in there at present), never playing any and requiring me to reset it each time, or press the home button and access the main music folders from there.

From reading this forum I’m guessing that bad or absent ID tags may be to blame, although some of the tracks in the folder are also present in their respective album folders, and will play just fine from there.

So, might formatting the player and installing mp3tags on my PC – as others with similar problems have been advised to do in the past – correct the problem?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

What OS are you using and how are you transfering the music to the player?

Albums ripped on Mac OSX make two folders within the album folder: one of the songs and one of Mac finder files, in a separate subfolder called MACOSX. Those have the same filenames as the songs but with a period and/or underscore, like ._song1.mp3, and they are 0kb. They may be going into your Unknown folder because they don’t have tags–they’re just Apple leavings. And because they have .mp3 as their file format–although they are not–the Fuze lists them.

Seach for MACOSX and see if you find a bunch of those folders. Look inside, make sure they are just a bunch of 0kb files, and delete them.

There may be another explanation, but that’s what I’d look for first.

I use a PC. I’ve been running Windows 7 for the past week, but all the files on the player will have been ripped while I was on XP, so it’s not a Mac issue.

I just drag and drop files to and from the Fuze, connecting it as a storage device.

I guess I’ll try running all my album files through mp3tag andseeing if that makes a difference.

It seems like you have duplicate songs on your player. While it is okay is the same song is present one time on the card memory and one time on the internal memory(since the player differentiates these and even shows a special icon on the song list for songs on card memory), if a song is present more than once on the card memory or on the internal memory, then the player might choke on this. I guess you could modify some tags and the filename of those songs you want to have in internal memory or card memory more than once.