Fuze can't load videos

It’s supposed to be easy to load a video into the Fuze…forget it!  We’re supposed to be able to drag the video (in any of a number of popular formats) into the provided Sansa Media Converter software, and then just drag and drop the converted video into the Fuze itself.

That doesn’t work – ‘Convert’ is grayed out and doesn’t respond.

I called tech support and they told me it’s a known problem and that my issue was escalated to a senior technician who would contact me in 24-48 hours.  

48 hours later, no contact so I called again.  This time I was told that the senior technician to whom the case was assigned was on leave and he would contact me once he got back and was able to familiarize himself with the case.  Maybe 24 hours. ???

This is for a known issue.

So we have a product from a major company that doesn’t work because of a known issue, with only one senior technician authorized to handle it, but the senior technician is gone for days and they don’t know when he’ll be back.

This is almost too bizarre to contemplate.

just press the add video button

I can add a video, I can see it, but I can’t convert it, [CONVERT] is grayed out, and I can’t play it on the Fuze.

Which version of the SMC are you using?  Is the background black (4.256) or blue (4.236)?

Give us some details about the video file: what format is it?

Bob  :wink: 

I’m using 4.256 on MP4’s and AVI’s, or at least I’m trying to.

Try the alternatives listed at this thread:

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&thread.id=39960

BTW, .mp4 is one extension that can be lots of different actual formats. So it’s tricky. 

You might also try changing the USB mode on your Fuze (Settings/System Settings/USB Mode). 

Thank you.

1. What USB Mode should I choose?  Now I have Auto-Select.

2. What do these modes mean/do?

3. Why does changing the mode on the device effect the desktop SMC program?

Message Edited by TomJensen on 05-03-2010 06:10 PM

The USB Mode governs the way the unit connects to your computer. Try each mode and see if you can get SMC to work better with MTP or MSC, not Auto. 

And if SMC doesn’t work, use one of the other converters linked in my previous post. 

Thanks to you all…video4fuze worked fine right out of the gate.

Now, why couldn’t the first tech support person I reached at Sansa have told me that right away.  They’re still stuck between Escalation to a Senior Tech So No One Else Can Answer Me, and There Is No Senior Tech to Answer Me. After all these days, I never got a response from the absent Senior Tech.

PaulBrown wrote:

Thanks to you all…video4fuze worked fine right out of the gate.

Now, why couldn’t the first tech support person I reached at Sansa have told me that right away.

Because video4Fuze was written by a member here out of the goodness of his heart for the benefit and frustration reduction of all who visit here. SanDisk is contractually obligated to the company who developed the SMC, so they can’t ‘officially’ recommend another product, commercial or otherwise.