fuze becomes unrecognized in one of the usb ports

I have an 8GB fuze with firmware v1.1.22a set to MSC mode that used to work fine.  Somehow, it became an unrecognized device recently.  This problem only occurs on one of the USB ports, and I can still access the fuze on the other USB ports of the same computer.  A side effect of this malfunctioning fuze was that other USB devices such as a wireless mouse stopped to work on that USB port too.

I removed and reinstalled the USB device drivers on the computer.  It helped to bring the USB mouse back to life on that port but didn’t solve the problem for my fuze.  Instead of a massive storage device, it is now viewed as an “unknowned device.”

I also tried unplugging the computer and removing the laptop battery as well as draining the battery of the fuze.  It didn’t solve the problem either.

Any other suggestions?

I might try reformatting your Fuze. Make sure you backup your files on there. After reformatting plug it back in while your Fuze is turned off.

@ilikefuze wrote:

I also tried unplugging the computer and removing the laptop battery as well as draining the battery of the fuze.  It didn’t solve the problem either.

Did you really think draining the Fuze’s battery would solve an issue that it obviously with your computer? :stuck_out_tongue:

Have you checked to see that the USB setting has not been switched back to MTP or Auto-Defect somehow?

Is the laptop plugged into AC power when you are trying to connect your player? Many won’t put out enough juice to make a data connection while running under their own power on any of their ports. At least you still have others that will work.

This is obviously an issue within your computer, isolated to 1 USB port. You said you un-installed & re-installed the drivers for this port. Did you install the correct drivers? Does your Fuze charge & connect in this port and can you transfer files? Or is it dead in the water on this port? If everything else seems/works normally and it’s just the matter of it identifying as an ‘Unknown Device’, maybe it’s just a simple matter of re-labeling the device.

If nothing works on it though, then you’ve still get some ‘Sherlock Holmesing’ to do. :wink:

@lukev wrote:
I might try reformatting your Fuze. Make sure you backup your files on there. After reformatting plug it back in while your Fuze is turned off.

Thanks lukev, I tried reformatting and resetting the fuze to factory default, still the same error message.

@tapeworm wrote:

@ilikefuze wrote:

Did you really think draining the Fuze’s battery would solve an issue that it obviously with your computer? :stuck_out_tongue:

Have you checked to see that the USB setting has not been switched back to MTP or Auto-Defect somehow?

Is the laptop plugged into AC power when you are trying to connect your player? Many won’t put out enough juice to make a data connection while running under their own power on any of their ports. At least you still have others that will work.

This is obviously an issue within your computer, isolated to 1 USB port. You said you un-installed & re-installed the drivers for this port. Did you install the correct drivers? Does your Fuze charge & connect in this port and can you transfer files? Or is it dead in the water on this port? If everything else seems/works normally and it’s just the matter of it identifying as an ‘Unknown Device’, maybe it’s just a simple matter of re-labeling the device.

If nothing works on it though, then you’ve still get some ‘Sherlock Holmesing’ to do. :wink:

Thanks Tapeworm, You’ve got a very point here that the issue seems to be on that particular computer port.  But I couldn’t eliminate the possibility that it is a combined problem of the computer and the fuze.  Actually, you know what people do in frustration. :wink:

As for the other points:  I made sure that it is in MSC mode all the time.

The laptop is plugged into AC.

For the drivers, I should have said I uninstalled all the USB device drivers under Control Panel/Device Manager in safe mode, and rebooted to regular mode, and Windows Vista reinstalled the drivers.  Because I didn’t have any external USB devices connected, there was no drivers installed for “unknown device.”  But as soon as I plug in the fuze in the faulty USB port, a driver is installed for the “unknown device” detected.

The fuze is charged ok in that port, but no file transfer can be done.

Here’s what happens when I plug the fuze in the faulty port.  The fuze first shows “Connected”, then “Writing”, then “Connected”, and it starts charging.  The computer shows an error message of “unrecognized device found” and you cannot see any drives (for the internal memory and external microSDHC card) as you would if it is plugged in a working port.

You’re right that I still have some working ports to work with, but I really want to know if anything was really messed up on my computer (any hardware damage?) and, if possible, I would like to know what had happened so that I don’t do it again to mess the other ports up.

Does the Fuze show up in Disk Management?

Go to Start button, type  computer management in search field, then click to open the program. DM is found under the Storage node.

Edit: Check this for both when the Fuze is plugged into the faulty USB and the regular one.

Message Edited by lukev on 01-20-2009 10:34 AM

@lukev wrote:

Does the Fuze show up in Disk Management?

Go to Start button, type  computer management in search field, then click to open the program. DM is found under the Storage node.

Edit: Check this for both when the Fuze is plugged into the faulty USB and the regular one.

Message Edited by lukev on 01-20-2009 10:34 AM

Yes, the Fuze shows up in DM when plugged into the working USB port.  And No, it doesn’t show up when plugged in the faulty one.

Go to Device Manager. Check the last USB Root Hub, under the ‘Universal Serial Bus Controllers’ node. See what it says when you plug in the Fuze in the faulty USB port and the working port. Also make sure the drivers are the same for all the USB Root Hub nodes.

I dont recall reading, but how old is your PC? Is It a Laptop or Desktop? Usb 1, 1.1, 1.5, or 2? Operating system ans Service pack? There are any of a dozen different causes, for this issue. Knowing the things i asked will help to Diagnose the exact issue.

ilikefuze wrote:

You’re right that I still have some working ports to work with, but I really want to know if anything was really messed up on my computer (any hardware damage?) and, if possible, I would like to know what had happened so that I don’t do it again to mess the other ports up.

Strange indeed! This would bug the b’jeebers outta me too. I would HAVE to find out the cause and fix it even if I had 10 other ports at my disposal.

Good Luck in your quest. :smiley:

@lukev wrote:
Go to Device Manager. Check the last USB Root Hub, under the ‘Universal Serial Bus Controllers’ node. See what it says when you plug in the Fuze in the faulty USB port and the working port. Also make sure the drivers are the same for all the USB Root Hub nodes.

The strangest thing happened: In the process of checking the last USB Root Hub, the “faulty” port came back to life.

As usual, I uninstalled all those under “USB Controllers” node in the Device Manager and rebooted.  Then I followed your suggestion and checked the last USB Root Hub when I plugged the Fuze in a working port.  After I noted down the info there, I plugged it into the “faulty” port, and this time, instead of an error message saying unrecognized device found, it says something like “the device can perform at a higher speed.”  And instead of an “Unknown Device” showing up under “USB Controller”, now a “USB Mass Storage Device” showed up.

I’m confused:  I’ve repeated this process several times without luck, and this time it worked.  What happened???

FYI

WORKING:

General:
    Device type: USB controllers
    Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)

Power:
    The hub is self-powered.
    Total power available: 500mA per port
    Attached devices: USB Mass Storage Device 500mA
        Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader Unknown
        8 ports available

Advanced:
    Hub is operating at high-speed

Driver:
    Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Date: 6/21/2006
    Driver Version: 6.0.6001.18000
    Driver Details:
        Files: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbd.sys and usbhub.sys

==============
“FAULTY”

Power:
    Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader 500mA
    9 ports available 0mA

The USB Mass Storage Device showed up under a different USB Root Hub:

Power:
    USB Mass Storage Device 500mA
    1 port available 0mA

Message Edited by ilikefuze on 01-20-2009 04:47 PM

@conversionbox wrote:
I dont recall reading, but how old is your PC? Is It a Laptop or Desktop? Usb 1, 1.1, 1.5, or 2? Operating system ans Service pack? There are any of a dozen different causes, for this issue. Knowing the things i asked will help to Diagnose the exact issue.

Sorry, Conversionbox.  I realized I should have put such info up front.  Here they are:

It’s a Toshiba Satellite laptop.  It’s less than a year old.  Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1.  USB 2.0 supported.

@tapeworm wrote:

@ilikefuze wrote:

Strange indeed! This would bug the b’jeebers outta me too. I would HAVE to find out the cause and fix it even if I had 10 other ports at my disposal.

Good Luck in your quest. :smiley:

Thanks Tapeworm!

@ilikefuze wrote:

<-- Snip–>

FYI

WORKING:

General:
    Device type: USB controllers
    Manufacturer: (Standard USB Host Controller)

Power:
    The hub is self-powered.
    Total power available: 500mA per port
    Attached devices: USB Mass Storage Device 500mA
        Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader Unknown
        8 ports available

Advanced:
    Hub is operating at high-speed

Driver:
    Driver Provider: Microsoft
    Driver Date: 6/21/2006
    Driver Version: 6.0.6001.18000
    Driver Details:
        Files: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\usbd.sys and usbhub.sys

==============
“FAULTY”

Power:
    Realtek USB 2.0 Card Reader 500mA
    9 ports available 0mA

It’s a Toshiba Satellite laptop.  It’s less than a year old.  Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1.  USB 2.0 supported.

Ok What may have happened was a conflict between your driver and your fuze. When you plugged your fuze in the first time it tried to hit a driver that it doesnt like, and this caused a port malfunction. When you uninstalled the first few times you may not have gotten good installs of the driver (It happens more than you would think) and finally after a while you got a good one. When you plig your fuze in make sure 2 things are goin on, 1 your lappy is plugged in, and 2 make sure the fuze is not plugged in when you boot up. 

Booting up with the fuze plugged in can cause all sorts of untold problems. And when the lappy is unplugged you may not have enough power to your usb, this could cause a malfunction as well.

@conversionbox wrote:

Ok What may have happened was a conflict between your driver and your fuze. When you plugged your fuze in the first time it tried to hit a driver that it doesnt like, and this caused a port malfunction. When you uninstalled the first few times you may not have gotten good installs of the driver (It happens more than you would think) and finally after a while you got a good one. When you plig your fuze in make sure 2 things are goin on, 1 your lappy is plugged in, and 2 make sure the fuze is not plugged in when you boot up. 

Booting up with the fuze plugged in can cause all sorts of untold problems. And when the lappy is unplugged you may not have enough power to your usb, this could cause a malfunction as well.

Now that you mentioned it, I might have booted up the fuze while it was still plugged in. Untold problems, huh…

Thanks a lot, Conversionbox!