Fuze 8gb - Media Converter Windows Error

I have purchased a Sansa Fuze 8 gb player and installed the latest versions of your software from your website (Version 1.0 B004.236CDG for media Converter). My computer is a Dell XPS m1210 laptop running Windows XP SP2.

Media Converter will load my videos using “Add Media” and play without problem. When I click the Convert button the conversion dialog box appears, but then I get an error message every single time. I have tried over a dozen videos of all different types (AVI, WMV, MPG, MP4) from multiple different sources - all with the same result.

The Windows error message says:

“Sansa Media Converter.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience.”

When I click on “To see what data this error report contains”, I get the following details (exactly the same each time):

“AppName: sansa media converter.exe  AppVer: 0.0.0.0  ModName: dsread.dll
ModVer: 3.2.0.0  Offset: 0000af64”

Then, when I close the error dialog box, the following message occurs:

“Sansa Media Converter,exe - Application Error
The instruction at “0x73dd11c7” referenced memory at “0x00000004”. The memory could not be “read”.”

Can anyone help?

Did you try to uninstall and reinstall the software?

Yes, the first thing I did was a complete uninstall, download from website and reinstall. Any other thoughts?

generally this happens when your OS is missing a ddl or ocx file or two. can’t say I know which though. if you have the time and energy I would update to SP3 and give it another go. good luck.

Interestingy I have not been able to install SP3 because of a similar error. It stops at a certain point and numerous error dialog boxes appear, referencing regsrvr.exe, drwtsn.exe and igfxsrvc.exe. A concurrent error message says: The instruction at “0x5a00c8b4” referenced memory at “0xddc20074”. The memory could not be “read”.

I have redownloaded and tried SP3 4 times, including closing all active programs from the taskbar, each with the exact result. 

I know this is now off topic, but I am unsure how to proceed.

Another solution is to get a Registry cleaning software to remove all the bad .dll existing in your systems.  You can find one for free on the web, the one I’m using is called Eusing Registry Cleaner and it’s available from download.com.

I have Registry Mechanic but I will also give the Eusing Product a try.

I am willing to try anything at this point.

did you mean r egsvr.exe?? probably a trojan if it is. if it is regsrvr.exe then I would get another copy of it from another system and overwrite the one on your system. good luck.

Message Edited by noki on 10-16-2008 04:08 AM

mein gott!

The acrobatics and efforts that you guys go thru to get video on a screen less than 2" is amazing.

Why not buy a DVD player? Or watch on your computer?

Admitedly SMC= **bleep***y Media Converter.  Sansa should be embarassed.

I have several, and I do (as probably everyone here). We’re talking extreme portability here.