FM tuner, specific frequency problem

Hi everybody

Just bought a Clip+ 4Gb this week and very satisfied, except for that weird issue.

I listen mostly one specific FM station around here at 92.7 mhz . Suppose that from any FM station, I switch to music for a while and try to switch back to FM from the menu . I cannot hear anything from that station ( 92.7 only, others tunes fine) unless I switch off completely the Clip+  and swith it on again. Then everything is OK for the 92.7 mhz !!!

Very annoying for me.

Does anybody else had this problem? Does somebody coud try to repeat this to confirm if it is a firmware bug or a problem with my device?

I have try to reset completly to the factory settings with the same behavior.

I have installed the firmware # 01.02.09A

The station mentioned above is a canadian spoken radio, broadcasting in mono

Thank you

my fm tuner has been shot on three returns to best buy now.I can not get one single preset station.my list is empty.with my first clip befor the volume craped out I use to prescan at least 15 fm station.Time to look into something thats works like it’s supposed to.I had enough of the clip already.One thing for sure I’m going to keep returning them tillI find one that works like the first one I had minus the volume problem.I don’t know what they changed or if it was the firmware update that has everting all wrong all of the sudden.Is there anyone here from clip that knows whats going on or any kind of help would be good.Best buy just ■■■■■ for support other that well will take it back and give you another piece of ■■■■ that does not work right.

my advice to you is take a hammer to it and go buy something that works like it is supposed to.me I just going to keep returning then till I find one that works or i go through everylast one at every store.then I may have to take a store credit that I will seel on ebay so I can get some of my money back at least.you morons should have stuch to memory sticks.you sure as hell can’t make an mp3 player.Dam this pisses me off.****[Deleted] **Naldo I would spend the extra 20 dollars and buy the ipod mp3 player we know they work.return the sansa and get the ipod.me i figure I’ll be testing another 10 or 12 tomorrow and everyday till I open every last one or find one that works right like my first one did.I can’t be;ieve not one **bleep** from sansa did not address this thread.Enjoy the unempployment line you :robotmad:.this is what happens when you seel things that don’t work!

Easy there, turbo!  I understand that you may be upset, but consider a squishy ball or punching bag instead of offending.  Describe your specific problem, and others can assist you.

microsansa

the Sansa Mod Team

Message Edited by microsansa on 03-26-2010 07:50 AM

Hi naldo!

I have a Clip+ 4Gb and I have the same problem.

I listen in my country(i live in Argentina, SouthAmerica) one FM station in 95.9 mhz and sometimes (always to be more precise) I lose reception of this station. If I enter the elevator of my building or if I go to the supermarket and I keep listening to my favorite … I can not. I sometimes get the signal off and turning on the Clip +, but in some cases (supermarket) is impossible.
I think it may be by the sensor transmission power of the FM station, but does not happen with other FM stations … but … the worst, worst, is that never happened with my old mp3, mp3 without known brand. So, unfortunately if I want to hear my favorite and I carry my old generic mp3.

The truth, I thought buying this brand would not be any problem, but 1 and did not think I ever have 1.

Sorry for my english.

So, nobody else have constructive clue to the way to resolve this problem? Honestly, i have rejected the hammer solution…

naldo wrote:

I listen mostly one specific FM station around here at 92.7 mhz . Suppose that from any FM station, I switch to music for a while and try to switch back to FM from the menu . I cannot hear anything from that station ( 92.7 only, others tunes fine) unless I switch off completely the Clip+  and swith it on again. Then everything is OK for the 92.7 mhz !!!

Very annoying for me.

Does anybody else had this problem? Does somebody coud try to repeat this to confirm if it is a firmware bug or a problem with my device?

The station mentioned above is a canadian spoken radio, broadcasting in mono

yes, I can see where this sould be very annoying. Sorry, I’d try to replicate the problem, but I don’t live in Canada. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Tapeworm.

I have the same problem (but in my country)
I listen one FM station (95.9 MHz) and have problems only with that station, the others listen without problem.
The strange thing is that with another mp3 (another brand, without brand) I dont have any problems.
I think, the problem is with the “signal captures” in the Clip+ (I think, the signal is not “very good signal” and the Clip+ broke reception and it’s hard to hear it again)

The worst is this… I listen frequently (ever…) this station.
I listen 1) radio
  2) music

Then… I have a problem with my Sansa Clip+ (very nice, preety good, but… Ihave a problem, and remember this every day when I wish my favorite FM Station)

Again, sorry for mi english and Thanks

Compared against its older brother, the original Clip, the Clip+ does have a wee bit more interference from the OLED display driver (multiplexer) when the FM is active, and the display is on.  See if the reception is clearer once the display times out.

I’ve noted that the OLED display interference is audible when making a recording as well.  I’ve gotten in the habit of setting the display for about 10 seconds, and starting recodring a few seconds early.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

I have exactly the same problem at 92.90Mhz (BBC Radio 4 in North East England).

If I change from Music to Radio, knowing that the radio is tuned to 92.9, then I get silence - I then have to switch the Clip+ off and on.

HOWEVER, it also happens if the Radio is on a different frequency and I then tune to 92.9MHz - I get silence and have to switch on and off.

I am using firmware version 01.02.09.  This problem occured with the previous version and was the reason I upgraded…unfortunately that introduced other problems (see http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=clipplus&thread.id=2911&view=by_date_ascending&page=14)

Noise and reception problems on the Clip+ may be partly due to its cheaper build than the Clip. The Clip has a grounded shield plate that covers nearly the entire circuit board. This plate was eliminated on the Clip+.

Now, I don’t like hearing that:frowning:

Ok, well I think this…  the Clip+ its ok, good capacity, but it had a bad FM quality reception. Day after day I confirm that.

Good luck the next time !!

Here we see the advantage of the shielding of the original Clip.  It’s a tradeoff, I guess, as we have the advantage of a great interface and expansion capability.

As for FM, you’d be astounded at the difference in reception with the e200v2 series, the radio champion in my book.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

This is indeed an odd problem, but noone is writing what headphones they are using, which is the first thing I would try and change if I had a problem with FM-reception on a small device.

Since small devices like MP3-players really do not have sufficient physical size to fit any good aerials, some wiseass found a way to isolate radio-singals from the headphone common, thus making the headphone cable the antenna, this is probably the case here also.

The other two options I can think of is software fault (which is unlikely to be fixed), or fabrication fault, which would require a return according to the warranty, unless you bought it from a BestBuy or it’s ilk, they would probably give you another broken one (I bought mine from a Swedish chain similar to BestBuy called Elgiganten, but only because I was going to void the warranty first thing after opening the box).

I have 2 of the Clip+ and the FM reception is completely different.  The first one was bought from Best Buy at Christmas time last year and has firmware version V01.01.05A.  Its tuner works great.  The second was bought within the last 30 days and has been returned twice now for an exchange.  None of these tuners have been able to bring in the stations well at all.  The latest was running firmware version V01.02.09A and I updated it to V01.02.13A.  The scan feature to find the stations did work better after the upgrade, but the stations are still not coming in well at all.  I am using the earbuds that came with the units and have switched back and forth with no change.

Can I copy the older firmware off of the first player and put it on the second one?

Are the FM Settings under Settings set correctly for you?

Since the transition from the pocket FM radio, with a telescopic antenna and a built in speaker, most designers have accepted using the headphone cable as the antenna for over 25 years!  The idea isn’t new.  The problem today is that we have a digital audio device now, with a processor that is busy number crunching.

There’s also a multiplexed OLED display running, all in that little domino-sized machine.  The display, in my opinion, is the biggest emitter of RF energy.  One can shield the receiver from this energy in several ways, by physical separation (meaning a bigger player), by filtering (electronic), or by a metal (conductive) shield. Actually, there’s even super stealthy RFI paint, but that’s another story (I have used the coatings for various applications, it’s great stuff when signal-to-noise is critical).

First and foremost, be sure that the FM region is set properly for your area.  The US (North America) uses odd 200kHz spacing, but many other countries use even spacing.  If you have the wrong region, you’re not centered on the carrier frequency, and reception will ■■■■ might be less than stellar.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Well now I have tried it out some more on my Clip+, it seems to find some magical station at 96.0 MHz, and this is true with different and even without headphones, using different regions, and even when running Rockbox, so I would wager that it has nothing to do with either headphone-antenna reception or firmware issues. :confused:

Hi!

I live in Russia, and recently have bought SanDisk Sansa Clip+ player. Unfortunately, it really has this type of issue: inability to play 95.9 - 96.1 MHz FM stations (in fact, theoretically it CAN, but seems it greatly depends of quality and strength of FM signal, and also of earphones that you are using). AFAIK the main reason is that internal circuit is clocked by 24.0 MHz quartz chip, and 96.0 = 24.0 x 4, so “magic” 96.0 MHz station is just a radio interference (player is listening to itself @ 95.9 - 96.1 MHz). Sad but true, i couldn’t find any workaround of how-to-fix instruction on the Web. As people stated earlier, this player has no internal shielding, so this issue is a by-effect of it’s electric circuit design.

Regards,

Igor

P.S. 95.9 FM is one of my favourite stations in my city… :frowning:

P.P.S Seems that nobody from SanDisk company reads to this forum. At least, no helpful answers/MoneyBack or Service recall offers etc, although this problem seems to be well-known.

How about setting the region to rest of the world? I think that gives much finer tuner control. Using a headphone with a longer cord will help tune in weaker stations. If the problem is a signal that is too strong, try folding up part of the headphone cord.