FM In Japan

Are there any Pacific users of the Fuze in Japan?

I hadn’t previously given it more than a passing thought, but the FM broadcast band in Japan is much narrower, running from 76-90MHz.  Is the Fuze capable of operation in this band?

I experimented with the FM and various firmware configurations, but my wee Fuze remains in the regular 87.5-108MHz band.  I can change the regional steps, but the band remains the same.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

Are there any Pacific users of the Fuze in Japan?

I hadn’t previously given it more than a passing thought, but the FM broadcast band in Japan is much narrower, running from 76-90MHz.  Is the Fuze capable of operation in this band?

At least one, and apparently your concern/thought is a valid one. I don’t know if this was affected by the latest update or not.

http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/board/message?board.id=sansafuse&message.id=9675#M9675

I thought I had read that the Sansa uses the Si4702 FM chip.  This device has worldwide coverage from 76MHz.  I hadn’t thought about it until seeing the same post you did.

Bob  :dizzy_face:

@tapeworm wrote:

At least one, and apparently your concern/thought is a valid one. I don’t know if this was affected by the latest update or not.

I think it was.  On the previous firmware(s), you could select Japan as the FM region in the Radio Options menu.  In 01.01.22A, the Japan option is removed (or at least hidden) and only USA (0.2 MHz steps, ie 91.1, 91.3, 91.5…) or World (0.05 MHz steps, ie 91.15, 91.20, 91.25…) are selectable.

Fuze firmware .15 supported Japan FM freq range but in firmware .22 the option was removed.  yes, Japan FM freq started at a lower freq than the rest of the world.  this is a BIG deal for me, as someone who moves back and forth between the 2 countries.  the reason i bought the Fuze in the first place was for this reason.  i can’t seem to understand why Sansa decided to remove this feature, it was there in the original firwmware that i bought the Fuze with.

@urotsu wrote:
Fuze firmware .15 supported Japan FM freq range but in firmware .22 the option was removed.  yes, Japan FM freq started at a lower freq than the rest of the world.  this is a BIG deal for me, as someone who moves back and forth between the 2 countries.  the reason i bought the Fuze in the first place was for this reason.  i can’t seem to understand why Sansa decided to remove this feature, it was there in the original firwmware that i bought the Fuze with.

My guess is that there did not seem to be a need. Apparently there is. If it was there once it should be put there again.

Thank you urotsu!

It has been a while since my first posting.  Being in the States, I don’t have signals in the low region to test, except by using an FM signal generator.

thought I had the capability with the early firmware, but haven’t needed to work with it.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: