Firmware on White Box Connect With No Wifi

FYI.  Picked up a couple Sansa Connects for a good deal in white boxes that state “No WiFi”.  Unit have Firmware versions:  ZAP 1.2.0.58335r, OS 1.2.0.58335.  Running Sansa Recovery puts ZAP 1.1.2.65799r, OS: 1.1.1.50239 back on the devices and gives me internet radio icon back.  Units then connect fine to my home Wireless network but alot of pauses occur when listening to internet radio.  So the units do have the WiFi hardware in them. 

My Connect has the second set of firmware you mentioned, and has Internet Radio.

So this is interesting … it sounds as if Sandisk has manufactured Connects with a later version of firmware that disables Internet Radio.  That causes me to worry that my Connect will eventually get this firmware “upgrade” over WiFi.

sandisk already released that firmware before… since the internet radio is still useable, they rolled the firmware back…  i’m still waiting for what sandisk will do after acquiring MusicGremlin…

I have the same firmware.  How did you reset the connect.  I also have tried to add a 4 gig card and it will not recognize the card.

@cliff wrote:
I have the same firmware.  How did you reset the connect.  I also have tried to add a 4 gig card and it will not recognize the card.

When you ask about resetting the Connect, what are you trying to do?  Really reset the Connect, or install a different version of firmware?

Search through the FAQ, then let us know if you still have questions:

http://www.sandisk.com/Retail/Default.aspx?CatID=1541

More interested in why the Micro Sd card is not reconized.

@cliff wrote:
More interested in why the Micro Sd card is not reconized.

I had issues with mine at first. What I did was plug it in and then hold the power switch 15-20 seconds. Then Turned it back on.

try updating your firmware… i recalled that the old firmware only supports up to 2GB

Can you tell me how to update the firmware?

@cliff wrote:
Can you tell me how to update the firmware?

Search for the word “firmware” in the FAQ.

@mechman wrote:
FYI.  Picked up a couple Sansa Connects for a good deal in white boxes that state “No WiFi”.  Unit have Firmware versions:  ZAP 1.2.0.58335r, OS 1.2.0.58335.  Running Sansa Recovery puts ZAP 1.1.2.65799r, OS: 1.1.1.50239 back on the devices and gives me internet radio icon back.  Units then connect fine to my home Wireless network but alot of pauses occur when listening to internet radio.  So the units do have the WiFi hardware in them. 

Hey, thanks much, MechMan.  I appreciate the heads-up and instructions for getting a cheap, fully functional new Connect.

Had exactly the same experience (same before and after version numbers, and white box).  There wasn’t any documentation except for a hearing warning sheet, no software CD, no sticker covering the Connect’s screen.  Otherwise, it looks new like the listing says.  I bought mine on ebay from surpluscomputers.com, $35 with free shipping.  They charge less for this “No Wi-fi” Connect on eBay than they do on their regular site.  This is the second listing, after the first sold out (about 10 units on the first offering, 11 on this listing).

I don’t think the pauses have anything to do with this being a white box Connect.  So far in testing this new White Box unit, I’ve had no pauses in about 10 minutes of listening while real close to my wireless router.  My other Connect also pauses often.   

(Note to others: Sansa Recovery takes a long time, maybe 20 minutes, as it downloads the firmware from SanDisk.)

@marqck wrote:
sandisk already released that firmware before… since the internet radio is still useable, they rolled the firmware back…  i’m still waiting for what sandisk will do after acquiring MusicGremlin…

I’m not understanding this … why are Connects being released with firmware that disables the Internet Radio?  Who’s going through all the effort to do that, put “no WiFi” stickers on the box, etc.?

@promisedplanet wrote:

@marqck wrote:

I’m not understanding this … why are Connects being released with firmware that disables the Internet Radio?  Who’s going through all the effort to do that, put “no WiFi” stickers on the box, etc.?

Retailers probably. It keeps people from buying them expecting the Wi-Fi to work with Launchcast customizable stations.

@conversionbox wrote:

@promisedplanet wrote:

@marqck wrote:

Retailers probably. It keeps people from buying them expecting the Wi-Fi to work with Launchcast customizable stations.

There’s no “No WiFi” stickers, it’s just stated so in the eBay ad.

Could be Sandisk.  They probably got a ton of expensive-to-handle phone calls when they sold Connects in their original packaging.  So it’s possible they  decided to get rid of remaining stock with firmware that turns off wi-fi, packaged in boxes that don’t mention wi-fi.  To save the expensive phone call support costs.

Thanks to MechMan, their plan to sell a dumb-downed device to a low-expectations audience has been foiled.  Woohoo!

I wonder how old these Connects are, though.  I’m not an expert on battery technology, but I’ve heard on the Slacker forums that while sitting on the shelf, the batteries lose some amount of their ability to hold a charge.

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 04-03-2009 05:57 PM

@promisedplanet wrote:
I wonder how old these Connects are, though.  I’m not an expert on battery technology, but I’ve heard on the Slacker forums that while sitting on the shelf, the batteries lose some amount of their ability to hold a charge.
Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 04-03-2009 05:57 PM

That’s always a problem, until we find a replacement battery source or splicing technique for a similar battery.

Click on the “Check Out Sansa Store” icon on the top, and though the javascript is displaying a Connect before you click the link, when you get to the store you’ll see Sandisk is no longer selling the Connect in their regular store, nor in their outlet store.

These may be the newest available Connects.  Speculating, Sansa may be liquidating through other vendors who promise to advertise it as “No Wi-fi.”  This stock may be our best bet if we love the Connect more than any other player.  Hey, it’s a $35 battery.  Store it in the fridge at 40% charge, it should last long.

Thanks to all, including jj2me, for clearing my head.  I’m getting one!

II just reimaged my unit (No WIFI) and I created yahoo account.  I am not able to listed to internet radio.  It simply states “can’t play station”  Try again later.  The firmware is ZAP 1.1.2.65799r and OS 1.1.1.50239.

Any Advice is appreciated.

MAC

@macadoon wrote:

II just reimaged my unit (No WIFI) and I created yahoo account.  I am not able to listed to internet radio.  It simply states “can’t play station”  Try again later.  The firmware is ZAP 1.1.2.65799r and OS 1.1.1.50239.

Any Advice is appreciated.

MAC

Hmm, it may just be that the audio stream servers are temporarily down.  Hopefully they haven’t been shutdown intentionally.  I don’t have my Connect with me right now, but will try it out later and post what I find.

Thanks, I read that sometime in February Yahoo was to make some changes with launchcast, but there site says the connect will still have internet radio, just no customization, and file downloading.  I just bought 2 of these off of the computersurplus guy, and reimaged to open wifi, in hopes of getting kids tunes…Connects to my access point, but yahoo is kicking back the error.  The onboard speaker is key for little ones, and this seems like the perfect unit if I can get launchcast to hook up.  Keep me posted.