FAT is corrupted & computer won't recognize.

Hello, everybody!

I tried reading every single post relevant to my problem, but none of the proposed solutions seem to work. I had charged my Fuze overnight, and when I woke up, I noticed that the screen was completely white. Thinking it was nothing, I turned off the Fuze and then turned it back on again and got the following message: “FAT is corrupted. Please connect device to PC and recover FAT.”

I think I’ve tried almost everything proposed on this forum. I’ve tried the “turn off the Fuze and then put it on ‘HOLD’ and then press the |<< button” method, but that hasn’t worked because the computer doesn’t recognize the Fuze in the first place. I tried a different USB cable (since my dad also has a Fuze), but that didn’t fix it either. I’ve tried these methods and many others, and they don’t seem to offer a solution. I can’t rely on the 1-year warranty either because it’s been barely more than a year since I bought the Sansa Fuze. 

I don’t know if it helps, but I’m pretty sure my laptop automatically restarted overnight (due to Windows/Microsoft Update). Could that have been the problem? This is really frustrating, to say the least. I’m willing to format the Fuze (and consequently lose all my files, which is the least of my worries), but everything I’ve tried to do in order to format the Fuze has not worked.

What do I do?

If the formatting using the Fuze format function fails, I would recommend to send it back to SanDisk and ask for either new player or refund. There might be a permanent damage to the memory chip, so reformatting wouldn’t be of any help.

Message Edited by Etoja on 10-16-2009 03:55 AM

Message Edited by Etoja on 10-16-2009 04:55 PM