FAT is corrupted

I accidently pressed format on my sansa, and of course, everything was deleted. other than the fact it is now empty and i am mad, it looked fine. just no music… but the next day i turned it on and the message “fat is corrupted. please plug connect device to pc and recover FAT”…now, it seems to not be recognizing it on the software and i cant add my music on it. when i turn it on, it just says that message and turns off by itself.

how can i fix this…?

With the Fuze turned OFF, put it in Hold.

Hold the << button while you connect it to the computer. Look for the drive in Computer or My Computer (XP/Vista). 

Then follow these directions.

The FAT is the file allocation table, how your computer reads the unit. Something went wrong. You fix it by formatting. 

Thank you. It all works great now:)

I believe your stuff worked.  I have a device that now works.  All data gone, but that’s easy enough to re-load.  Just happy to not get the “fat” message.  Thanks so much.  All other options had failed me until this one.

Do you know how to instruct folks who have the new Windows 7.  I don’t think the path to get to disk managment is the same, but I simply plugged my device into my old XP machine and followed your great instructions.    A Windows 7 fix may be a helpful path as we move forward.

Thanks again.

ledvib1 wrote:

Just happy to not get the “fat” message. 

Happy? I think Aretha would be overjoyed not to get that message:

It’s hard to get any R-E-S-P-E-C-T when you let yourself go like this! :dizzy_face:

ledvib1 wrote:

Just happy to not get the “fat” message. 

Happy? I think Aretha would be overjoyed not to get that message:

It’s hard to get any R-E-S-P-E-C-T when you let yourself go like this! :dizzy_face: