Failure reading the filesystems file (err=1) on Windows 10

I recently purchased a SanDisk Cruzer Glide 16GB flash drive for purposes of transferring files (Excel, Word, PDF, etc.) from a work laptop at my former employer onto a newly purchased personal laptop. The work PC operated on Windows 7, I believe, and the new PC runs on Windows 10. When initially transferring the files to the flash drive from the work laptop, I inserted the USB drive and ran SanDiskSecureAccessV3_win. From there, I would enter my password and the Secure Access Vault would open where I could drag and drop files to save and open my files. On the new laptop, I insert the flash drive and again select to run SanDiskSecureAccessV3_win and enter my password but receive the error message “Failure reading the filesystems file (err=1)”. Within the USB Drive are folders including SanDisk SecureAccess, SanDiskSecureAccess Settings, and SanDiskSecure Access Vault and then Symantec RemovableMediaAccessUtility program and a DMG file RemovalbleMediaAccessUtilityC.dmg. Inside the SanDiskSecureAccess Vault folder are hundreds of sub-folders that contain hundreds of XML documents with file names such as “0b5d72aafa234c44a4fb1d1aff357f11”, presumably my encrypted documents. If I move the files to my hard drive or “decrypt to location” and attempt to open or “open with” a particular program, it does not open my files.

Within the SanDiskSecureAccess Settings folder are two files - “config.dat” and “filesystem.dat” that are categorized as XML type documents and instructed to open with Office XML Handler.  Based on the text of the error message, I presume these files are where my issue lies, but I’m not sure how to remedy.

Thus, my question itself is fairly simple – how do I get the SanDiskSecureAccessV3_win program to once again open up the Secure Access Vault and allow me to access my documents or how can I otherwise decrypt and recover my files to the hard drive on my new computer? Any assistance would be much appreciated.

SecureAccess only runs on the SanDisk drive.  Copying it to the hard drive doesn’t work.

No idea where the Symantec files came from.

If the drive wasn’t Safely Removed from the Windows 7 system but rather yanked out the file structure could be corrupted.  Try running a CHKDSK command on the drive.

If that doesn’t work ask your former employer if he will let you access your old files again and this time write them to the drive using Windows File Explorer rather than SecureAccess.


Your comment regarding having no idea about the Symantec files was ultimately quite helpful.  I realize now that my prior employer had Symantec Endpoint Encryption impacting any removable drives as well.  So I basically had two layers of encryption working on my SanDisk flash drive simultaneously. 

First, I decrypted the files from within the Symantec utility on the USB to my desktop.  Then, I took those decrypted XML files and transferred them back to the appropriate SandDiskSecureAccess Settings and SanDiskSecureAccess Vault folders on the flash drive.  I was then able to launch the Application file from within the USB drive and open the Vault to retrieve my files.  

Thanks for the help.

Wow!!  Thanks for the update. 

Always like threads with happy endings.  :smiley: