External SanDisk Extreme 500 GB on Toughbook CF-19 caused computer failure?!?

I bought a 500GB SanDisk Extreme to use as an external backup drive on my Panasonic CF-19 RDR. It uses a USB 3.1 gen 2 Type C to USB Type A on the CF-19. It has been working fine, however the last time I used it, Win 7 refused to recognize the drive. I used the safe hardware removal procedure as per the icon, but as soon as I began removing the Type A connector from the CF-19, the machine froze, black-screened and would not re-boot, even with the external drive completely disconnected. All it does now when I try to turn it on is give a single beep. No error messages, just a beep.

I then tried the SanDisk on another machine, a Gateway M285E, and as soon as I inserted the Type A connector, the Gateway gave an “Overcurrent on USB Port” error and it also shut down. Luckily this machine survived and booted up fine after I pulled the connector out and restarted the computer.

My Panasonic CF-19 remains completely unusable. I suspect something connected with the USB part of the motherboard got fried, and I’ll need to get it repaired. What happened? I used a cable that matched the specifications for the drive, as stated on the box.

Has anyone ever experienced something like this? An external SSD not only freezing a computer, but completely taking it down? Crazy. I have several Transcend external HDD’s and they have never did anything like this to a PC.
The only reason I went to the SSD was that the Transcend USB cables were incompatible with the USB ports on the Toughbook CF-19.

Is there any way I can recover the Toughbook? Does it sound as though the motherboard was damaged. Has this happened to anyone else? Suggestions?

OK, all was not as bad as it seemed. By reading the Toughbook’s online manual, I learned how to access the set-up screen. Also learned how to do a power cycle on this machine. So, a press of F10, then a select “Boot”, and bingo, my little friend is back again. Live and learn, although a little rough on the psyche. And it is also a good idea to have at least one backup computer, even if it is an old, but tough, Gateway M285E, so one can get online and get the right info.
Maybe my SanDisk RedTek cable is what is causing the overcurrents and shutdowns. I think I bought two of 'em so I can try the other.