SanDisk 2TB Extreme PRO Portable SSD Data Loss 3 times

I purchased this drive 4/19/2023 and have lost the data on it three times. I now understand the product is flawed with no resolution from Sandisk. What a rip-off, never purchasing Sandisk products again.

Hi @kevin.young,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the SD Technical Support team for best assistance and troubleshooting:

I opened a support case and am returning the drive under warranty. I am concerned that the drive I have was listed as not needing a firmware update and could potentially receive a defective drive as a replacement.

I had the same problem, the Extreme SSD wouldn’t mount on my Macs. Eventually I found a post with a way to open it (read-only) using Terminal, then using Disk Utility I reformatted it as Mac OS Extended instead of ExFAT or whatever it was before. So far I have been able to use the Scandisk on my older iMac and new MacBook. This was the procedure from the post from bmamukashvili:
"Now I finally found a solution (only on ExFAT format):

Connect your SSD to your computer;
Run Disk Utility
You will see greyed Extreme SSD there and with two-finger click, choose Mount.
Now you must open Terminal.
**Type exactly this:** sudo pkill -f fsck
Type your login password

After that, you will be entered in a read only mode. Try to back up all your files, then format it and try another brand’s SSD. At least, your files will be safe."

Magnolia,

Thanks for the info, I do appreciate the assistance. In my case the drive is connected to a Windows 10 PC and each time I use the drive it mounts fine and when done with the drive I eject the drive before disconnecting it physically. The three times it has required formatting was immediately after physically connecting the drive and it will not mount.

Considering the recurring data loss on your SanDisk 2TB Extreme PRO Portable SSD, I recommend using EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard SanDisk Extreme SSD Failure: Tips to Prevent from Further Damage . It’s a reliable data recovery software that might help retrieve your lost files. However, to prevent future data loss, consider diagnosing the SSD for any hardware issues and ensuring regular backups.

EVEN I LOST THE DATA ON A BRAND NEW SSD! :frowning:

how do I claim a refund?

This is a serious issue and I would recommend that you directly contact Sandisk support immediately.

Yeah, total piece of junk. Designed to break. Mine broke just pushing it into my phone jack.