E280v1 dies with pressure.

This morning I was playing music on my e280v1 as I do every other day, and it suddenly stopped. I looked at the player and it was off, and the power button did nothing. Manufacterer mode, recovery, etc. did nothing.  Plugging it into my computer does nothing as well.  I checked to see if something had become unseated somehow inside, or if the last time I cleaned it out I botched something. Everything seemed peachy, and I tried plugging it in without the battery present. Works just fine, until I put the battery back in and unplug it, then it just shuts off suddenly.  Time to get a new battery?

Message Edited by Trekker1 on 08-08-2009 05:32 AM

Either that or maybe one of the contacts is corroded or otherwise screwed up?

Not that I can see…but I could be quite wrong.  Well if it isn’t a battery issue, I’m only out a few dollars.

Wowowowowoowwowowowow am I stupid. Turns out that last time I cleaned it out and put it back together, the battery was upside down. So whatever bumped it caused it to not touch the contacts correctly and obviously not function. Oh well now I have an extra battery, but boy do I feel like a noob.

Edit\ Ok, maybe not. I figured it out though, it works fine, UNLESS there is any pressure put on the front or back of the player, then it shuts off. Still smacks of me not putting everything back together correctly, so I’ll try that again.  Any suggestions though?

Edit2\ Got everything taken out and put back and so far no problems. Maybe it was also that I had the screws in too tight? I will wait a day or two before I mark this solved :wink:

Message Edited by Trekker1 on 08-01-2009 11:16 AM

Message Edited by Trekker1 on 08-01-2009 11:35 AM

It’s still doing it. Not as bad as before, but any time there is any shock the player will shut off. The most frustrating is if I put in my headphones too fast, it shuts off. Take them out? Shuts off. Bounces in my pocket? Shuts off.

I pulled it completely apart again today to check, there was nothing but the battery and the main board hooked together, and if I tapped on the back of it, it would still shut off. So nothing when I have taken it apart/put it back together is my fault.

If it isn’t inappropriate to do so, I’ll bump this thread every now and again just on the offchance that someone knows what is wrong with this thing.

Thank you for any help that may come.

I remember reading on here that some people have solved loose battery problems by placing a small piece of folded paper between the battery and the back of the player.  You might want to give that a try.

Message Edited by BillyYank on 08-08-2009 09:59 AM

You have a loose connection somewhere. If it’s not the battery, it could be the ‘daughterboard’ holding the memory chip. Others have had similar issues with the v1 models.

Check out this thread, complete with pictures. Once you remove the battery, there will be 4 more little screws to remove. That will allow you to gently go around (I start at the bottom connector port) and pry the casing apart. This is give you access to the circuit board within. Listen as you press down on the memory chip/board to see if you hear (or feel) a faint click.

You have a loose connection somewhere. If it’s not the battery, it could be the ‘daughterboard’ holding the memory chip. Others have had similar issues with the v1 models.

Check out this thread, complete with pictures. Once you remove the battery, there will be 4 more little screws to remove. That will allow you to gently go around (I start at the bottom connector port) and pry the casing apart. This will give you access to the circuit board within. Listen as you press down on the memory chip/board to see if you hear (or feel) a faint click.

Check out this thread, complete with pictures. Once you remove the battery, there will be 4 more little screws to remove. That will allow you to gently go around (I start at the bottom connector port) and pry the casing apart. This will give you access to the circuit board within. Listen as you press down on the memory chip/board to see if you hear (or feel) a faint click.

As I said earlier I had just yesterday (and many times before that) pulled the whole thing apart.  This time though I moved the LCD screen aside to press on both sides of the daughterboard as it were.  I didn’t hear or feel any sort of pop or click or something of the like, but it appears to have fixed it.  Makes sense too, as after it would shut off from impact, Rockbox would be unable to retrieve my last playlist file, saying it was invalid.

Thank you again for the help, and saving me much frustration!

snoopy_dance-1.gif Snoopy Dance image by Gma11_photos

Sweet!