Deleting Free Songs On Fuze

When my Fuze arrived it had some free songs on it, I cannot see these when I look through the memory card, how do I delete them they get mixed up with my music ive put on it ?

If you don’t see the preloaded music, you are connected in MSC mode.  The original sample music was loaded in MTP mode.  Files transferred in one USB mode are not available while in the alternate mode.

You can delete them by connecting in MTP mode, or by formatting the device, which erases all media from the player.  On the Fuze: Settings > System settings > Format > Yes.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

Or if you’ve already loaded some music via MSC mode and don’t want to hassle of loading it again after formatting, you can delete the free tracks one-by-one on the device itself (there are only 19 of them).

@pelago wrote:
Or if you’ve already loaded some music via MSC mode and don’t want to hassle of loading it again after formatting, you can delete the free tracks one-by-one on the device itself (there are only 19 of them).

Note though that some people have experienced ‘freezing-up’ when using the on-board DELETE function. I was under the impression that this was going to be addressed in the recent f/w update, but I saw no mention of it in the change log.

So it might be better (and certainly quicker) to just connect in MTP, highlight the sample song files and press the DELETE button on your keyboard, excising them in one fell swoop. While you’re at it, you can eliminate the crappy music videos and sample photos while you’re at it, freeing up even more memory for the ‘good stuff’. :wink:

I’ve tried deleting various files from the Fuze with the latest firmware release, and haven’t experienced any problems or delays.

Then again, perhaps I’ve been lucky.  I’ve never run into ANY file deletion issues on the Fuze, even with the previous firmware.  Is it possible that the issue shows up with 4KB allocation clusters?

Be sure, when formatting the Fuze from Windows Explorer, to select the optimum 32KB allocation size.  The Rhapsody client uses 32KB, as does the onboard Format command.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

You may be right Bob; some people have reported issues, others haven’t. How do you assure 32K clusters though in Windows. The only option I see when running a format by right-clicking in Windows Explorer says ‘Default Allocation Size’ and it doesn’t indicate what that size is?

I know you can do it for a DOS command line prompt, but how do you specify it in Windows?

Hehe, in the formatting department, I’m old school, pulling up a command prompt.

You can check the size of the existing clusters by simply running chkdsk on the current volume with no toggles.  It will report the cluster size, available memory, et cetera.

I see what you’re referring to.  Plugging in a Clip, right-clicking and selecting format in MTP, no choices.  In MSC mode, Windows asks FAT / FAT32, and the only open allocation option is “default allocation size”.  Nice.

This peek is with Windows XP.  The few times I’ve used the Windows format command, it’s been to perform a sweep of the flash memory, then I follow up with the device’s build in Format function to optimize the memory.

Bob  :wink: