Deleting entire audiobook at once or part at a time?

First, please let me apologize if the answer to my question is somewhere… I’ve looked and looked.

Second, let me say that I absolutely LOVE this little Sansa Fuze 2gb. 

I listen to a lot of audiobooks and have tried deleting an entire audiobook by pulling up the title of the book and then clicking ‘down’ for the menu for deletion but, it doesn’t come up.  The only way I can delete (that I know of) is to click on the name of the book and let it bring up a list of all the parts and then there is no trouble in down clicking for the delete to show and deleting each part one at a time.  The last book I deleted had 18 parts and it sure got tiresome deleting one part at a time.  Is there a secret that I don’t know?

Do it when you’re connected to the computer.  At least the database only has to refresh once that way.

That didn’t work for me.  When connected to the computer, the menu button won’t pull anything up and I’m unable to get to the book name nor the delete book option.   The Fuze shows that it’s “connected” and that the battery is charging. 

Am I doing something wrong?

@twistedwhiskers wrote:

That didn’t work for me.  When connected to the computer, the menu button won’t pull anything up and I’m unable to get to the book name nor the delete book option.   The Fuze shows that it’s “connected” and that the battery is charging. 

Am I doing something wrong?

He means do it from the computer.

Plug it in the computer.  Now, on your computer, go in “My Computer”, click on your Fuze (depending on which USB mode you use it will either show up as a removable storage device or a media device).  Open up the audiobook folder and delete the appropriate files within.

Unplug the device from the computer, the media library will refresh and the audibooks you removed will be gone. 

Message Edited by Corilof on 03-20-2009 02:27 PM

That did it!  Thanks to both of you.  So much easier.

I had only partial success with book removal, using Windows Explorer;

Audible books came off the player easily, but Overdrive Audiobooks (downloaded from the library) did not;

When I look at the AUDIOBOOKS directory with Win Explorer, it seems to be empty, yet the audiobooks remain playable on my Sansa Fuze.

I tried renaming the AUDIOBOOKS directory to xAUDIOBOOKS, creating a new (empty) AUDIOBOOKS directory, then deleting xAUDIOBOOKS.  Still no success.  The books are there, and playable.

Alternate method for Overdrive Media Console books;

Connect your Sansa Fuze to the computer.

Open OverDrive Media Console (ODMC).  Be sure you have an audio file, such as the “Welcome to Overdrive…” file, that could be loaded to your Sansa player.

Click [Transfer] button at the top menu

Click [connect], wait while it searches for your Sansa Fuze

ODMC offers to download the “Welcome” file to your player;

Click [Advanced Options] to put your audio file in an alternate location.

Click [Browse] to locate additional directories on your Sansa Fuze

This can take a LONG time

Go to Music/AUDIOBOOKS, and find the book you want to kill

It may be in Music directory by author name.

Right click the name or directory and delete…

RE: Deleting files from Overdrive in Windows Explorer - the player has 2 connection modes, MSC and MTP (look under settings>USB mode).  Actually, it has 3 modes - but it’s best to avoid Auto-detect which can flip-flop between the two other modes. 

Files copied onto your player in one mode aren’t visible on the computer when your player is in the other mode.  Switch between USB modes and connect to your computer - I’m sure you’ll find the files under one of the modes.  THEN select a USB-mode (other than auto-detect), and stick with it. If you’re using Overdrive, you’ll probably want MTP mode for digital rights management (DRM).  Although if you don’t need DRM, USB is preferable (my opinion).