Deleted file still appears on Fuze, not on computer

Deleting an avi video file using the ‘delete file’ on the Fuze, the Fuze froze after clicking ‘yes’ to delete.   To get on I had to do the ten second reboot to shut down and to regain control of the Fuze.

The file is gone using Windows to access the folder on the Fuze, yet the file still appears on the Fuze, although it will not play.

How do I clear the Fuze database, and is there some other way to regain control of the Fuze than the soft reset?

Thanks for any help,  Dan

Delete the file mtable.sys in the Fuze’s root directory.  This is the database file.  Once deleted, the Fuze will build a new one from scratch, instead of appending the old one.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

Thanks.   I found that solution on another post, and it worked.

Deleting an audiobook via Fuze had the same result–hung player at the yes/no delete page.

Deleting a photo had the same result.

Is there a way to re-install the firmware, currently most recent version 2.01.17A, so this delete-via-Fuze feature works properly again?

Thanx,  Dan

Message Edited by dmcwethy on 04-03-2009 08:30 AM

Found how to manual reinstall firmware and did so.   Using win xp pro s3

Tried deleting a photo file via Fuze after reinstall, and it hung again on ‘yes/no’ delete page.

Perhaps this is firmware bug, but I haven’t seen post with similar problem.   I guess delete of files should happen via computer, and skip the feature via Fuze.

Best Regards,   Dan

@dmcwethy wrote:

Tried deleting a photo file via Fuze after reinstall, and it hung again on ‘yes/no’ delete page.

Perhaps this is firmware bug, but I haven’t seen post with similar problem.   I guess delete of files should happen via computer, and skip the feature via Fuze.

Best Regards,   Dan

How long did you wait? It could take up to 5 minutes for an avi file. Music 1-2 munites, and the same for photos. These are max times it should take.

@conversionbox wrote:

@dmcwethy wrote:

Best Regards,   Dan

How long did you wait? It could take up to 5 minutes for an avi file. Music 1-2 munites, and the same for photos. These are max times it should take.

In my experience the longest it has taken is the same as a full database refresh. I did briefly have the issue with the freeze-up on deletion before the last firmware update, but after about a week and a half of just doing computer deletes, I tried the on player delete again and it worked, and has ever since.(on the rare occasion I have to use it.)

I don’t delete anything directly from the Fuze either.  I’ve deleted a few songs before, and it took several minutes before I regained control of the Fuze.  It did delete them correctly, but it took way too long.  

That was just for a song, if you’re trying to delete a very large file (audiobook, movie, etc) it could take awhile before it completes the task.  

It’s not that your Fuze is faulty, it’s just that it does a terrible job at deleting anything.  I just plug it in and delete from the computer now.  

Just tried deleting sample Sansa photo of butterfly via Fuze.    After eight minutes it was still stuck on the yes/no delete screen, and required a ten-second reset.  

After soft reset, the Fuze does not start with the message ‘refreshingg your media’

Using photo thumbnails, the place where the picture was now appears blank on the Fuze.   Asking for it to show results in a blank screen, so the picture is gone, but the place for the picture still appears, although blank.   Via ‘photos a-z’, the photo title is still there, but if chosen, the screen is a blank.

The only way I know to get it fixed is to delete the database file, mtable.sys, as explained in the letter above.   After the delete, Fuze started with ‘refreshing your media’, and the photo ‘place’ for butterfly is gone, in both thumbnails and A-Z mode.

Go figure.   I’d be happy for further suggestions.  Dan

Message Edited by dmcwethy on 04-04-2009 07:31 AM

@dmcwethy wrote:

Just tried deleting sample Sansa photo of butterfly via Fuze.    After eight minutes it was still stuck on the yes/no delete screen, and required a ten-second reset.  

After soft reset, the Fuze does not start with the message ‘refreshingg your media’

Using photo thumbnails, the place where the picture was now appears blank on the Fuze.   Asking for it to show results in a blank screen, so the picture is gone, but the place for the picture still appears, although blank.   Via ‘photos a-z’, the photo title is still there, but if chosen, the screen is a blank.

The only way I know to get it fixed is to delete the database file, mtable.sys, as explained in the letter above.   After the delete, Fuze started with ‘refreshing your media’, and the photo ‘place’ for butterfly is gone, in both thumbnails and A-Z mode.

Go figure.   I’d be happy for further suggestions.  Dan

Message Edited by dmcwethy on 04-04-2009 07:31 AM

Most of us just use the computer to delete stuff thus avoiding this issue.