Dead Sansa Express

I have a three week old Sansa Express that will not play any of my tracks or allow me to listen to the radio. The Sandisk logo lights up for a few seconds, then disappears without doing anything.

I have tried the re-sets mentioned in the instructions without success. has anyone got any ideas?

Is the battery charged?

Have you tried leaving it connected to a USB port for a few hours?

Hi, yes tried all that. It is fully charged. Have just found all the other posts on the Forum with the same problems.

I will not be a Sandisk owner for much longer, but thanks anyway.

Production faults haven’t gone away even with products like this.

Get a replacement from the dealer or contact Sansa.

Mine was DOA and I had to return to Sandisk for an RMA replacement.  Now they are backordered for 4-6 weeks which ■■■■■!  Hopefully the new batch has all the issues resolved or I am going back to my Samsung U2 or U3.

They are offering a C250 immediately…but that is too big for me for purely running which I use it for.

Message Edited by payne51558 on 01-23-2008 12:50 PM

There are a bunch of ways to recover that…all have been listed in the forum…just do a search and then do your fw upgrade…it should fix the problem

I had the exact same problem with my son’s Express player this morning, and after some online research I found one thing that fixed it.

1. Get a hold of any microSD card ( it doesnt matter if you have anything on it or not, I used the one from my cell phone that had pics and videos on it.)

2. Insert into the Express and hit the power button.

3. Wait about 7 minutes for it to finish whatever it is that it’s doing.

4. Remove microSD card and turn off and back on again.

When I read it, I didn’t think it would work but strangely it worked great.

Did yours every turn “on” as in light up during this 7 minutes?  Mine would not do “anything” even w/ the MicroSD.

I too have the same problem with my player…

When I connect the Player to my PC,the device is getting detected.

But unable to open it.Error message stating “Please insert a drive” is shown.

Wat is the problem and how to solve it? Please help!

Thank you

It works perfect your solution

I refer to the solution proposed by Eddie Kawasaki

Message Edited by JohnGD on 04-17-2008 09:10 AM

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for this forum. I really exicited and appreciate you. its working and what is the problem in that ?

@payne51558 wrote:

Did yours every turn “on” as in light up during this 7 minutes?  Mine would not do “anything” even w/ the MicroSD.

I’ve had this problem before. This device can be finicky. It seems to work best at <= 160kb/s. Higher bit rates and VBR eat up battery life and cause instability. In Windows Media Player, go to Sync, right-click on Sansa Express and select ‘Advanced Options.’ Click the Quality tab and select maximum quality level of 128 or 160.

I do not have a micro SD card handy. The fix I found was to plug it into USB overnight. It will still appear dead in the morning. Ignore this. Unplug it and activate hold switch. Plug it back in and cross fingers. It may come back to life.

Not sure what caused this bug, but guess it created a corrupt database after syncing, causing a software crash. Normally it takes <= 30 secs. to create database. It took a very long time to create the database, then crashed when trying to play a song… just went dead. After above procedure, worked fine without syncronizing again.

My previous flash player (a Mamba Mano mp4 video, $30 at Fry’s on Las Vegas BLVD) got run over by a car (long story). It’s now dead. The car killed it. I got the Sansa Express to replace it. Only $10.99 for Refurb w/ free shipping.

Anyhow, my dead player has symptoms like you described.

@gabriel wrote:

I too have the same problem with my player…

When I connect the Player to my PC,the device is getting detected.

But unable to open it.Error message stating “Please insert a drive” is shown.

Wat is the problem and how to solve it? Please help!

Try this: Close Media Player. Goto ‘my computer’ and plug in Sansa Express. A removable drive should now appear. Right-click and select ‘properties.’ My dead player shows 0 bytes capacity and 0 bytes free. How about you?

Try the firmware updater, ‘Sansa Updater.’ Sounds like a defective player to me, though. Good luck.

Oh, by the way, I took the battery from the dead one and glued it to the outside of my Sansa. I thought the battery life was a bit short. Inside is a 250maH Li-ion. I wired the external 400mah Li-ion in parallel. Works much better now. Real long play time.

Message Edited by caleeakins on 01-21-2009 10:49 PM