Cruzer Fit - included files

Hi

Just bought one of these Cruzer Fit USB flash drives and initially I want to put a light linux distro on it to work with my PC’s bios.  However, I see that this drive comes with the following files and would like to know please if I copy these to a folder on my PC and later wanted to revert to having the Cruzer Fit as originally supplied, would it just be a case of deleting its contents and copying back the files I’d saved onto my PC?

folder: club_application

folder: SanDiskSecureAccess

autorun.inf

RunClubSanDisk.exe

RunSanDIskSecureAccess_Win.exe

Does this drive just have a single partition on it?

As it is supplied with a FAT32 partition, does that mean I can only save files smaller than 4MB?

Will the above software be available in Windows 8 format for existing owners of one of these drives?

would it just be a case of deleting its contents and copying back the files I’d saved onto my PC?”

Yes, but I don’t think it would be necessary to delete the linux distro.  In fact I don’t think it’s necessary to delete the current  SecureAccess folders and files to add the linux distro.  However, some linux installs do wipe the disk before installing so making a copy of the files & folders to your pc would be a wise approach. 

Does this drive just have a single partition on it?”

I believe that to be true.  How many drives do you see when you plug it into your pc?

As it is supplied with a FAT32 partition, does that mean I can only save files smaller than 4MB?”

No!  Files smaller than 4GB can be saved on it.

Will the above software be available in Windows 8 format for existing owners of one of these drives?”

???  What format do you think Win 8 is going to introduce?  Just like Win 7 supports apps written for Win XP & Vista I suspect Win 8 will support apps written for Win XP, Vista and Win 7.

Hi Ed_P

Thanks for the quick response to my questions.

I just wasn’t sure if there was anything else, perhaps hidden on the drive to enable the SanDisk software such as the encryption capability.

I only see one drive and only one partition in Windows Disk Management but not sure if a hidden or special partition would show up there.

It’s an 8GB Cruzer Fit and shows as 7.45 GB free space now that I’ve cut and pasted the files & folders I mentioned before, to my HDD.  It still shows as 16KB used space in ‘Properties’ even though I don’t any longer see any files on the USB drive.  Is this perhaps the size of the FAT?

I got mixed up with my MB & GB, I knew FAT32 had something to do with a file size limitation but up to 4GB for a single file should be fine.

I’m not sure exactly what the 16KB is allocated to but the FAT certainly takes space.

But if you have 8,000,000,000 bytes are you really concerned about 16,000?  :smiley:

LOL, no not worried about the 16KB just thought I’d mention it.

Thanks for your help.