Cruzer Fit 32gb read problems on Kenwood head unit

I just picked up a 32gb Cruzer Fit yesterday and proceeded to transfer some music files to it so I can just leave the stick in the Kenwood HU of my car. 

I formatted the drive for FAT32. I then created a sequence of folders by letter of the alphabet then dropped all my artist folders into their corresponding letter folder.

I plug my drive into my head unit and can access all my artist folders up to the letter M. When I reach M, I can only drill down inside one level, seeing all the artist folders inside M. However, I have no further access from there. I cannot drill down into the artist folder and select any music. 

This happens for ALL folders after the letter M. Very weird. I tried removing the M folder, creating a new one and adding just a couple of artist folders inside. After that, I still can’t drill down any further in that folder or any subsequent folders. 

When I plug the dive into my computer I can see that there are indeed filed in all of these folders. I can even play the music from said folders on my computer. 

I’m not sure if this is a SanDisk issue or an issue with my Kenwood HU, so I am posting in forums for both manufactures. 

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. 

I formatted the drive for FAT32.

Why?  It came that way from the factory.

I’m not sure if this is a SanDisk issue

When I plug the dive into my computer I can see that there are indeed filed in all of these folders.”

If the drive works on the computer I’m pretty sure we can rule it out as the cause of the Kenwood problem.

I think your problem stems from the 26 A-Z folders. This is really unnecesary and your stereo unit in your car may have a database limitation that you’re hitting when you get to the letter M. Without these, the Artist folders would still be sorted alphabetically so I don’t see the need, or your purpose in creating a more extensive folder/file hierarchy.

Eliminate the ‘letter’ folders and see if that doesn’t solve your issue.

Thanks for the reply. I will see if I hear anything back on the Kenwood forum I posted in. 

@Tapeworm

It’s just personal preference to store things in alphabetized folders like that. It makes it easier for me to jump to where I want to go. 

I will try your method and eliminate the A-Z folders and see what happens. 

Thanks. 

Hmm, that didn’t seem to work either. I moved everything out of the A-Z folders and now some folders I can access and others I cannot. It starts in the middle of the J’s. Between Johnny Cash and Them Crooked Vultures I can’t access anything, but everything after TCV I can access. The folders appear, I just can’t click into them.

I checked all the permissions for each folder and they’re all the same with read and write access unlocked. 

I did some research on the the head unit as far as USB specifications and everything looks to be compatible. 

I’m still waiting to hear something from the Kenwood people. 

I checked all the permissions for each folder and they’re all the same with read and write access unlocked.”

Windows may care but I’d be surprised the radio did.  But I could be wrong.

Do you have a manual for the radio or can you find it on the 'net?