Creating the best Music EQ

I like Rock, but I want to improve on it in custom. Right now I have 4, -1, -1, -2, 9. Try that and see if you can make it better. Thanks.

@shenanagins1091 wrote:
I like Rock, but I want to improve on it in custom. Right now I have 4, -1, -1, -2, 9. Try that and see if you can make it better. Thanks.

Shenanagins, The custom eq is most often used to create the best sound for YOU. Mine is 10-6-0-6-10. And All I listen to is rock. IN FACT listening to rock is my job (Im a DJ). I used an aux out line from my fuze into a machine we have that will auto detect your eq settings (I can use this to adjust the eq settings comming out of my pc without actually changeing the settings on the pc {ITS REALLY COOL ITS ALL AUTOMATED}) I set it to rock and let it play. The Machine dedicated the EQ settinsgs. Then I took the indstry recomended settings and compared. The were identical. I wouldnt adjust the custom if I were you. 

What Conversionbox said, the EQ gives you the ability to custom the sound to your own likeing.  Its all perference!

Message Edited by AboveBeyond on 01-08-2009 06:00 PM

I know it’s preference, but I was just hoping someone would have a strong opinion on what they thougth was the best.

IMO, the best EQ is NO EQ. Playing the music on flat eq sounds great to my ears.

@shenanagins1091 wrote:
I know it’s preference, but I was just hoping someone would have a strong opinion on what they thougth was the best.

The Best with my SkullCandy IEMs, is 10-6-0-6-10, with my studio phones (Senhiser I dont have a model number on me) its Normal preset, hooked to my sterio the best is Rock (I have to play it on pop so the bass doesnt rattle the walls.)

@shenanagins1091 wrote:

It really depends on your headphones. I have a pair of Sony’s (MDR-V150)that have tons of bass but no highs…so with them…-1,-1,0,+12,+12. looks ridiculous, but actually sounds good…the Clip and Fuze will push them louder than I can handle for very long. . I have Koss KSC75 that clip on the outer ear, that sound good with the EQ on “normal” as long as I’m not in a loud background. My Sennheisers , I like their sound with the “Jazz” setting with my Fuze and Clip, but that may change when my amp gets here:wink:. They sound much better plugged into the computer or my home stereo…so clearly work best with a little more power than the Sansas are putting out. 

I believe that balance is important…bass is great, but not if it drowns out the rest of the sound. Too much treble emphasis can have everyone plugging their ears too. Different types of music have a major effect too.

Depends on what earphones I’m using. Right now, Griffin earbuds on the bright side: 5-7-12-10-7

For the earphones that came with the Fuze: 6-12-8-10-9

My music preference: Classical, Rock, Jazz. In that order. 

There are so many variables to deal with regarding EQ settings.

Type of earbuds/headphones, how they sit in (and around) your ears and your musical preferences.

When I plug in my regular headphones (Grado 125, Sennheiser 560), the EQ is set to normal.

To get a similar sound from my Sennheiser earbuds, my settings are:

-6, -9,0,0,0

Message Edited by Nobby on 01-09-2009 01:34 PM

@nobby wrote:

There are so many variables to deal with regarding EQ settings.

Type of earbuds/headphones, how they sit in (and around) your ears and your musical preferences.

When I plug in my regular headphones (Grado 125, Sennheiser 560), the EQ is set to normal.

To get a similar sound from my Sennheiser earbuds, my settings are:

-6, -9,0,0,0

Message Edited by Nobby on 01-09-2009 01:34 PM

This is an useless exercise.  I say that because there are many, many, many more variables than listed above.  Unless you listen to the same musicians, recorded in the exact same studio, using the exact same equipment, AND the producer or engineer using the exact same settings on the control board, the musical timbre of each recording will be different.  There is no one or few, for that matter, EQ settings that will pleasing for a specific genre of music.  And if you switch between multiple types of headphones, this process becomes even more variable.

If your objective is to faithfully reproduce what the recording engineer had in mind for tonal balance, you will have to match the equipment as closely as possible that was used in the final mixdown.  It is an almost infinite quest, and even if you could match everything, the sound will vary from recording to recording.

There is no one perfect setting and there never will be.

The flat eq (normal) just sounds right when you use high end headphones which show the weaknesses of the EQ settings. The music sounds off using the EQ, however, it does make it better in some cases when using earbuds.

@lukev wrote:
The flat eq (normal) just sounds right when you use high end headphones which show the weaknesses of the EQ settings. The music sounds off using the EQ, however, it does make it better in some cases when using earbuds.

It will only sound “right” if the engineer did the final mix with your type of earphones and equipment in mind.  Most mixes aren’t done with headphones, but studio monitors; so the EQ will be different between the two.

In the 60’s it was common for the engineer to submit 2 final mixes.  One geared for cheap inexpensive stereos and AM radios and one for good stereos.  The EQ’s between the 2 were quite different.  Most times today, we don’t have that luxury of picking between multiple mixes.

If a flat EQ sounds good to you, that’s great; but it isn’t necessarily accurate or what the engineer intended.

I’ve always wondered about this. Is there any procedure or method to use when customizing your equalizer? Do I start with the low mid or high end first? Is there anything I’m supposed to listen for when adjusting these settings?

@widowmaker wrote:
I’ve always wondered about this. Is there any procedure or method to use when customizing your equalizer? Do I start with the low mid or high end first? Is there anything I’m supposed to listen for when adjusting these settings?

It really depends on your headphones.  I believe that balance is important…bass is great, but not if it drowns out the rest of the sound. Too much treble emphasis can have everyone plugging their ears too. Different types of music have a major effect too. Balance, and lack of distortion…that is the key, IMO.

@widowmaker wrote:

Everybody has their own way. There is no “Standard” for modification. At work they tell us to leave the eq flat and adjust certain frequnecys to stop distortion, but thats a different process than is used for listening.

When I make Eq adjustments I start on the left (Low end 10 hertz) and work my way right (High end 10,000 hertz) and tweak based on my ear, My computer gives a read out and makes suggestions but I usually dont bother I trust my ear.  

I like the power and presence of the bass but also like the crispness of the treble which is part of the reason why I got a Grado SR80 over an SR60. I also like to work my way up from the low end. High enough to feel it but not enough to distort it. I also like to ramp up some treble and use it with a portable amp. It seems to clear up the high end (especially female vocals) and eliminate the “stinging” of the ears from the increased treble.

@widowmaker wrote:
I like the power and presence of the bass but also like the crispness of the treble which is part of the reason why I got a Grado SR80 over an SR60. I also like to work my way up from the low end. High enough to feel it but not enough to distort it. I also like to ramp up some treble and use it with a portable amp. It seems to clear up the high end (especially female vocals) and eliminate the “stinging” of the ears from the increased treble.

I am looking forward to my amp coming. My Sennheiser’s aren’t really driven properly by my Fuze and Clip, so I’m using them either with the computer or the home receiver. I would love to try out the 2 Grado’s you mentioned…someday, when I hit the lottery, I’m gonna spend some serious money on audio gear

@widowmaker wrote:

That’s like asking how big is the sky or how deep is the ocean.  :wink:  Before you start, you have to answer a series of questions.  What is your objective with the equalization?  Do you want to compensate for a hearing limitation, or tune the sound for a given room surrounding?  Do you want to try to faithfully reproduce what the recording engineer had as a musical “vision”?  Do you want to compensate for a poor recording?  The questions go on and on from there…

The subject of recording equalization is a vast one, and really beyond the scope of this forum, IMHO.  If you are serious about learning the do’s and don’ts of equalization, volumes have been written on the subject and many audio training courses are available as well.

And let’s face facts.  The little EQ built within the almighty fuze is excellent for what it is, but it isn’t a replacement for a full blown out-board EQ.  I currently use a 1970’s vintage 1/3 octave EQ downstream from the fuze if I want to do some serious listening with high quality audio content.  If you are just using the fuze’s built-in EQ for your adjustments, there is only so much you can do.  Unless you plan on making audio a profession, I wouldn’t worry about it too much and just adjust according to “what sounds good to you” without over driving the signal.

guys, can u tell me what is the EQ bars eath stand for ? (am i missing in menual…)

It really doesnt matter as long as you know that as you work left to right you go from lower to higher frequency. I suppose if you are trying to cut the bass or something out as much as possible then it would be helpful, but for general use just play with them and find what sounds good to you.