Computer recognizes Fuze but neither WMP, Winamp or Media Monkey regognize it or will sync

I’m at a loss here. I recently reinstalled Windows XP Home, and previously I’d had no problem with using WMP or Winamp, or Meida Monkey with my Fuze, but for some reason none of my media programs will even recognize that the Fuze is connected, even though it shows as being connected in Windows Explorer, and I can drag/drop files to and from it with no problem. When I plug the Fuze in, I’m asked if I want to view files, sync with WMP, sync with Media Monkey, etc. Even if I chose one of the choices to sync, I’m told by the programs that they can’t detect a device.

I’ve upgraded the driver on the computer, updated to the latest firmware on the Fuze, I don’t know what else to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Delta wrote:

I’m at a loss here. I recently reinstalled Windows XP Home, and previously I’d had no problem with using WMP or Winamp, or Meida Monkey with my Fuze, but for some reason none of my media programs will even recognize that the Fuze is connected, even though it shows as being connected in Windows Explorer, and I can drag/drop files to and from it with no problem. When I plug the Fuze in, I’m asked if I want to view files, sync with WMP, sync with Media Monkey, etc. Even if I chose one of the choices to sync, I’m told by the programs that they can’t detect a device.

I’ve upgraded the driver on the computer, updated to the latest firmware on the Fuze, I don’t know what else to do. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Which driver on the computer did you upgrade? And what USB mode is your Fuze in?

Check your Windows Media Player version.

The MTP connection needs WMP 10 or 11. XP originally came with WMP 9. If that’s what you have now, update it from the Microsoft site.

I got the latest driver I’ve tried all 3 modes (autodetect, MPT and MSC), have the most recent version of WMP. I ran the firmware updater as well. Like I said - if I look at my drive via Windows Explorer, it shows it, Device Manager shows its installed, I can drag/drop files, but none of the programs recognize it.

If you put it into MSC mode, it shows up under Windows Explorer as a “removable disk” with a drive letter, correct?

Does MediaMonkey show it under its own “My Computer” list?

One other thing to try - uninstall then reinstall MediaMonkey, and see if it then shows up as a device in MediaMonkey ( same level as “My Computer”, not under “My Computer” ).

Message Edited by PromisedPlanet on 02-12-2010 10:19 AM

The computer only sees one mode at a time: MSC or MTP.

WMP and if I remember correctly Media Monkey need MTP. Winamp may work with MSC. You drag-and-dropped the songs in MSC–WMP won’t see them.

Since you’re starting with XP, try installing the MTP Porting Kit from Microsoft. MTP was an add-on to XP, so possibly your new installation doesn’t have it fully installed. 

There are some other tricks here.

Neither WMP nor MediaMonkey requires that the player be set to MTP mode.

Also, the problem as described appears to be that the player isn’t being shown in these programs at all.  That’s a different issue than whether the songs are visible due to the mode.

Black-Rectangle wrote:

The computer only sees one mode at a time: MSC or MTP.

WMP and if I remember correctly Media Monkey need MTP. Winamp may work with MSC. You drag-and-dropped the songs in MSC–WMP won’t see them.

Since you’re starting with XP, try installing the MTP Porting Kit from Microsoft. MTP was an add-on to XP, so possibly your new installation doesn’t have it fully installed. 

There are some other tricks here.

Wrong! One, those programs do not require MTP, as I have repeatedly told you. Two, his computer recognizes his Fuze, it’s just those programs that don’t see it. This is why in my post, I asked what he has tried, rather than assuming what his issue was like you did…because i know what happens when you assume.:wink:

PromisedPlanet wrote:

Neither WMP nor MediaMonkey requires that the player be set to MTP mode.

Also, the problem as described appears to be that the player isn’t being shown in these programs at all.  That’s a different issue than whether the songs are visible due to the mode.

+1

Do other devices work in the same USB port?  A flash drive for example? 

Uninstall the USB ports, reboot (they will reinstall) and try plugging the fuze in - try MSC mode first (for the hell of it do a reset on the fuze first if you like).  Tell us what happens.

Is this a “normal” XP home install or one that’s been tinkered with? Sometimes when they remove elements of XP it can affect something else.

Since the OP was using programs that are generally used with MTP, I suggested the MTP Porting Kit.

Most people who use WMP also use it with MTP, and WMP via MSC does not send over all the tagging information. I have been informed that Media Monkey needs MTP to sync.

[Edit: Nope, not so. See below. Media Monkey works in MSC or MTP.]

Fine, the unit connects in MSC. But someone who was used to it working seamlessly was probably using MTP, and probably needs to fix MTP.

Message Edited by Black-Rectangle on 02-13-2010 09:31 AM

Black-Rectangle wrote:

Since the OP was using programs that are generally used with MTP, I suggested the MTP Porting Kit.

Most people who use WMP also use it with MTP, and WMP via MSC does not send over all the tagging information. I have been informed that Media Monkey needs MTP to sync. Fine, the unit connects in MSC. But someone who was used to it working seamlessly was probably using MTP, and probably needs to fix MTP.

Not at all…it works either way. In fact, I use it with all three of my players…my Sony, which is MTP-only, my Samsung and my Clip+, which give you the MSC/MTP choice to make (no Auto-Defect on the Samsung though :smileyvery-happy: ) , and they are both set to MSC. In fact, I even have new podcasts auto-sync to the Samsung as soon as it is plugged in…and it will do so in either MSC or MTP mode, wherever the player is set to. :smiley:

Yeah I use mediamonkey to sync to all sorts of things, including cards in the card reader as well as players in MTP and MSC.  You definitely do not need to use MTP. 

Good to know. Edited above.

[On my computer anyway] MediaMonkey won’t synch playlists properly in MSC mode.  It will act as though the song was transferred, but you can’t see it or play it in the Fuze.  I have Windows XP SP2.

ggin1

ggin1 wrote:

[On my computer anyway] MediaMonkey won’t synch playlists properly in MSC mode.  It will act as though the song was transferred, but you can’t see it or play it in the Fuze.  I have Windows XP SP2.

ggin1

Playlists are another story. Generally they are easier for people to create and sync in MTP mode, but I can’t be of any real help there, because I don’t use them, except for occasionally the GoList.:smiley:

Yes playlists are definitely easier in MTP mode with mediamonkey (unless you want to use tracks from the internal memory and the card, but you need MTP for that too until someone can make us a nice MSC script). 

I did a full reinstall of XP Home, and everything started working again. I guess something got FUBAR’ed with the USB ports. Thank you.

Delta wrote:
 I did a full reinstall of XP Home, and everything started working again. I guess something got FUBAR’ed with the USB ports. Thank you.

Glad to hear it! :smiley: