clip vs clip plus: is the upgrade worth it (been offered new one 4gb from friend for $35)

clip vs clip plus: is the upgrade worth it (been offered new one 4gb from friend for $35)

i’ve heard the chip (for audio) is the same…but i believe the older version (non plus) doesn’t accept that slot music you can buy from sansa for $40ish per ‘disc’…am I right?

i meant to say that i’ve been offered a new unused ‘older’ version (non plus)

4 gb for $35…not the new plus version

For current clip owners, an upgrade is probably more of choice than pressing need. For a new purchase, I would definitely select the newer clip+.

@canali1 wrote:

i’ve heard the chip (for audio) is the same…but i believe the older version (non plus) doesn’t accept that slot music you can buy from sansa for $40ish per ‘disc’…am I right?

This is correct. The orignal Clip’s memory is finite. You can get a 2GB, 4Gb, or 8GB. That’s it. When it’s full, it’s full. The new Clip+ has a card slot that will accept either the pre-recorded SlotMusic or SlotRadio cards or a blank one that you can fill yourself up to the current limit of 16GB, so the memory is expandable as your music collection grows.

Plus it has an improved clip, so it won’t be so easily broken and a number of firmware, or operational enhancments.

@canali1 wrote:

This is correct. The orignal Clip’s memory is finite. You can get a 2GB, 4GB, or 8GB. That’s it. When it’s full, it’s full. The new Clip+ has a card slot that will accept either the pre-recorded SlotMusic or SlotRadio cards or a blank one that you can fill yourself up to the current limit of 16GB, so the memory is expandable as your music collection grows.

Plus it has an improved clip, so it won’t be so easily broken and a number of firmware, or operational enhancments.

@canali1 wrote:

i meant to say that i’ve been offered a new unused ‘older’ version (non plus)

4 gb for $35…not the new plus version

Personally, I prefer the styling of the original Clip–I like the circular wheel and lighting effects.   :slight_smile:

Having said that, the Clip+ has:  a sturdier build, including clip; the microSD slot, for expansion; and improved firmware (a faster screen scroll, more track info., and folder navigation!). 

But some other important points:  the Clip+ presumably will get future firmware support from SanDisk; the original Clip, limited if any more.  Furthermore, the 4 gb Clip+ can be purchased at Best Buy right now for around $40.  If you had a choice of that or an original Clip for only $5 less, the Clip+ looks very attractive.

Miikerman wrote:

Personally, I prefer the styling of the original Clip–I like the circular wheel and lighting effects.   :slight_smile:

Me too, but your other points regarding the enhancements and future support of the Clip+ model are valid ones and certainly should be considered when faced with a choice between the two.

But then, I like the older cars when compared with the new ones too. Even with all the bells & whistles, there’s no styling. They’re all clones of each other. Used to be you could tell a Chevy from a Ford from a Toyota, from a Mercedes from a good distance away. Nowadays, you sometimes can’t even tell what kind it is if you’re sitting behind or beside one at a traffic light. You have to see the car’s emblem, usually on the front in order to distinguish what make or model it is.

Only $5 more for the Clip+ vs the Clip? There is nothing to think about. Get the Clip+. In addition to having the card slot, the Clip+ also has folder navigation. The Clip+ will have future firmware upgrades.  With a 4 GB Clip+ selling for $40 now on Amazon or at Best Buy,imo a  new 4 GB Clip is worth $25 or less.

It’s easy to think that a 4gb clip+ with a 4gb card (I know most people would get a larger card) is equivalent to an 8gb unit. This is true if you only always load the unit from the computer. If you like to record the occasional meeting(s), that only uses the built in memory. For that reason I would always opt for the larger unit. Same argument if you like to record radio, something you might want to do from time to time.

@tapeworm wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Me too, but your other points regarding the enhancements and future support of the Clip+ model are valid ones and certainly should be considered when faced with a choice between the two.

But then, I like the older cars when compared with the new ones too. Even with all the bells & whistles, there’s no styling. They’re all clones of each other. Used to be you could tell a Chevy from a Ford from a Toyota, from a Mercedes from a good distance away. Nowadays, you sometimes can’t even tell what kind it is if you’re sitting behind or beside one at a traffic light. You have to see the car’s emblem, usually on the front in order to distinguish what make or model it is.

I agree with you, Tapeworm.  I just find the original Clip very aesthetically pleasing–I think the circular elements add a nice contrast to the rest of the player, and the lighting elements are less the norm.  But dang that power consumption from them …

But then, I also like the Minicooper.

I’ll probably get one eventually, especially if mine all break. But I’m also looking for cheap original clips, they will probably be showing up even cheaper as they get closed out. I’ve gotten very comfortable with my present two clips and don’t plan to stop using them. They are so small and handy, that its nice to have several loaded up with different music.

what do you think of the slotmusic memory cards, as per sound quality?

i wish i could see a list of the songs…the billboard 1000 isn’t yet available here in canada yet, either.