Clip stops transferring music three-quarters of the way through

Hi:

I have 2 clips. One works great, with my playlist of 167 songs transferred and working fine.  The other one stops transferring the same playlist after 148 songs.  This has happened 3 times-every time after song 148 transfers. I have deleted everything using WMP. I then reload and my audiobook , and my channels go back in fine and the playlist starts out fine, then stops transferring at the same place. I am using Rhapsody to load both clips. I can drag and drop some of the remaining songs, but not all of them.  Why does it work perfectly on one (the blue one), and not the other (the red one)?  Any suggestions?  Thanks

Message Edited by summerdreamin on 11-01-2008 05:28 PM

Are they both running the same firmware version?  Check under “Settings”, then “System Info”.

Also upgrade to the latest version if you don’t have it already.

Finally, try reformatting the red Clip.

Both clips are running on the same firmware. Thanks for the tips. I will try them. 

Hi again:

I tried the newest firmware and that loaded in just fine, but I still can’t get it to transfer anything now. Even when it does auto update, it tries to load the missing songs from my playlist, but gets stuck!  The blue clip is running on the original firmware and is just fine.  My question now is, if I reformat, what will that do?  DO I have to delete everything out before reformatting? Does it just restore it to original factory settings? I’m hesitant to reformat!  Help!

I’d recommend reformatting it in MSC mode using Windows Explorer.  It’ll show up as a “removable disk” under My Computer; right-click on it and select “Format…”.  Make sure you reformat your Clip, and not one of the disks on your computer.  ;)  Then just copy the latest firmware to the root directory, and try syncing again.

It’s possible that there’s something about the data within the song file itself that’s causing the sync to hang, but if both of your Clips have (had?) the same firmware version, that’s unlikely.

Another thing you could try is syncing with a different music manager program, like MediaMonkey (highly recommended) or Winamp.

Hi again:

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I did the firmware update, and then the reformatting (not as scary as I thought it would be), but still the transferring stopped after 148 songs/167. I compared the playlist that had transferred to the original one and had to find the 21 songs that were missing and hand transfer them into the playlist and that worked. I was able to transfer other smaller playlists and individual albums with no problem after the reformatting, so that issue seems to be resolved. I still don’t know why those pesky 21 songs wouldn’t go in, but they are in my clip now!

I will keep the other suggestions if this ever happens again, about reformatting through another music manager.

The other clip still has the same (older) firmware and has ZERO problems! The blue one belongs to my husband and the red one is mine.  Must be a woman thing!  :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Message Edited by summerdreamin on 11-02-2008 03:46 PM

Hi again:

Thanks again for all the suggestions. I did the firmware update, and then the reformatting (not as scary as I thought it would be), but still the transferring stopped after 148 songs/167. I compared the playlist that had transferred to the original one and had to find the 21 songs that were missing and hand transfer them into the playlist and that worked. I was able to transfer other smaller playlists and individual albums with no problem after the reformatting, so that issue seems to be resolved. I still don’t know why those pesky 21 songs wouldn’t go in, but they are in my clip now!

I will keep the other suggestions if this ever happens again, about reformatting through another music manager.

The other clip still has the same (older) firmware and has ZERO problems! The blue one belongs to my husband and the red one is mine.  Must be a woman thing!  :slight_smile:

Thanks!