Clip only plays few songs through car

I recently received a new car stereo with a USB attachment allowing for a connection to my 2GB Sansa Clip and the Clip only plays a few songs through the stereo.

They all play regularly through the headphone jack, though (I can’t find the AUX for the stereo).

The Clip is set to MSC and I haven’t seen anything else on here that has seem to fit what my problem is.

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Perhaps the songs that play through the car stereo are mp3, and the ones that don’t play are another format(perhaps WMA, OGG, or FL?)? Is the car stereo just using the Fuze as an external drive? 

Message Edited by JK98 on 01-01-2009 06:10 PM

I’ve just checked and all songs on the Fuze and all songs are in mp3 format.

I don’t know if the stereo is reading it as an external hard drive, though.

Or if they are all mp3, then perhaps the songs that play were transferred to the player in MSC mode, and those that don’t play were transferred to the player in MTP mode?

I made certain to copy all my songs over in MSC mode.

(Thanks for the help, by the way)

You can’t find any difference between the songs that work and the ones that don’t? Perhaps a different bitrate or sampling rate? How are the songs organized on the player? Are the ones that play less deeply nested than the ones that don’t play? Are the ones that play organized differently than the ones that don’t play?

The few that play are 160 - 256 kbps; the other songs on the disk are the same (except for some that are really high [I’ll re-rip those]), though reading through the manual, it doesn’t say any bitrate is recommended.

Two of the songs that play are in the main music folder, the others that play are in an artist and then album folder. Other songs that don’t play are in similar locations.

Perhaps you need to read the manual for the car stereo to see what limitations it has as far as mp3 players being connected. Are all the mp3 files constant bitrate?

I sent an email to Pioneer asking them the same thing.

In the meantime, though, I deleted most of the songs on the Fuze and copied 15 to the root directory. All of them are 192kbps and three of them still don’t play.

If you search the Pioneer website, you could probably find the manual for your car stereo. Or you could try a Google search with Pioneer _________  manual, putting in the model number. That might take you right to it.

They finally got back to me with the specs.

MP3
>  Compatible format: MPEG-1, 2, 2.5 Audio Layer 3
>  Bit rate: 8 kbps to 320 kbps (CBR), VBR
>  Sampling frequency: 8 kHz to 48 kHz (32, 44.1, 48 kHz for emphasis)
>  Compatible ID3 tag version: 1.0, 1.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4 (ID3 tag Version 2.x is given priority than Version 1.x.)
>  M3u playlist: No
>  MP3i (MP3 interactive), mp3 PRO: No

Like I stated earlier, I got rid of all the songs on the Fuze and added 15 (all 192 kbps) and still 3 aren’t playing.

I’m guessing this probably is specific to your files and has nothing to do with the Clip.  Do you have a USB flash drive you could try with the same files?  That would at least determine if the Clip has anything to do with the problem.

I have a JVC head unit with a USB port and ended up giving up on trying to get it to work.  All my MP3s were transcoded from FLAC files using Winamp (LAME encoder), all at the same bitrate, all properly tagged.  Some would play others would cause it to lock up (both with the player or with a USB flash drive).  Finally gave up and just used headphone to aux in.  Which turned out better anyway as navigation is much easier on the player than on the head unit.  Plus the head unit doesn’t support playlists, which is critical for me.  Also, surprisingly, sound quality over USB wasn’t really any better than over phones/aux.

I suspected the problem was related to the tag info or something about the file names (maybe some were too long?), but didn’t care enough to invest the time to figure it out.

I’ll try loading the songs onto another USB device but I think that you may be right about it being something to do with the way the songs are tagged.

I am having the same type of issue.  I just recently bought a 2009 Honda Fit Sport that has a USB adapter for the stereo.  I can conncet my Wife’s iPod to the stereo with no issues, and the recently I got a 2gb clip for Christmas and have had nothing but headaches trying to get music to play on it.  Recently I filled the clip with music and only 5 albums out of 15 would play.

@dstorie wrote:
I am having the same type of issue.  I just recently bought a 2009 Honda Fit Sport that has a USB adapter for the stereo.  I can conncet my Wife’s iPod to the stereo with no issues, and the recently I got a 2gb clip for Christmas and have had nothing but headaches trying to get music to play on it.  Recently I filled the clip with music and only 5 albums out of 15 would play.

Did you try the diagnostic right above your post? (same files on a USB thumb drive)