Clip+ freezes on "refreshing your media" after files were added

Hello. Today I purchased a Sansa Clip+ mp3 player. Its internal memory is 4 GB, so I purchased a microSD card of 32 GB.

I put the microSD card in, and connected the device to the computer. I then proceeded to transfer lots of files, some mp3, some flac, as I’ve read the player supports that format.

Looking at the output during the transfer, I also saw some JPG files were transferred. I assumed this isn’t a big deal, and I still don’t think is what causes the problem.

Now, when I removed the device safely from the computer, it started refreshing the media, and then froze at like 99%.

I had transferred 11 GB of data, so I assumed it’ll just take a long time. I left it there.

I returned about 45 minutes later, and it was still stuck there. By now I began suspecting something is wrong.

I googled a bit, and found that maybe I need to reset the device. I did that. I then plugged the device into the computer, with the microSD card still in it.

Immediately when I plugged it in, it began refreshing the media again. This time, it didn’t even do half of it. It just sat there, stuck on that stage.

The device was not recognized by the computer. I did the reset procedure again, and this time removed the microSD card and connected the device to the computer. This time it worked, and I was able to access the internal memory.

All the files are on the microSD card, however, and whenever I plug the device into the machine with the card inserted, I can’t access anything.

The device isn’t even recognized by the OS. What can I do? Is there any way to revert this?

My OS is Arch Linux.

I did a manual upgrade of the firmware to 10.02.18 and even verified it in the device.

How can I fix this? It’s very frustrating, I feel like I spent money on a useless product.

After several hours of frustration, I ended up installing a third-party firmware called RockBox.

The device booted up, even with the microSD card inserted, and I was immediately able to play the files.

No database was built. That’s the way it should be.

So, things turned out alright in the end.

I just think it’s kinda sad that I had to jailbreak the device in order to be able to use it for the purpose which I bought it for.

Thanks anyway.

I have no card issue with my players.  

Unfortunately, I don’t know enough about Linux to help you with your card issue–I’m assuming that the issue lies with the transfer of files using Linux.  I do know that transferring with a Mac likewise can cause issues, as the Mac creates and adds “ghost” files onto the Clip or a card, which then can choke the player.

If you haven’t done so, you might try doing a search here using the search box at the upper right–I recall having seen Linux file transfer posts here in the past.