Clip+ doesn't turn ON while in USB port (charging)

Hi!

Been happy with listening FM loud enough thanks to this forum (had a problem with low volume), but everything was OK till battery lasted… On FM mode that was some 6 hrs. Than I connected player in USB port of computer, but can’t turn it ON now. What would be the solution? It’s not possible that it can’t be used while charging.

The player will play while charging if you use a cell phone charger or other AC usb charger, or a usb battery pack to charge it.  It will play while charging from the pc if you use a power only usb cable. When the player makes a data connection with the pc, then the player can’t be turned on.

But, of course, you can play the Clip’s contents through your computer when you are connected to your computer.

OK, thanks. But in that case manufacturer should provide power only USB, too.

Is battery lasting OK, 6 hrs in FM mode? How much should it be in playing .mp3’s mode?

You should get much more than 6 hours on a charge.  Easily 10-12 hours, up to 15.

I’d love to know how you use yours Miikerman, to get 10 hours!

I have two Clip+s and both top out at around 6 hours (4 - 6 hours is closer to the range) - they were refurbs so I thought it was the price I paid for getting refurb, but then I got the ClipZip, *new*, and it still gets about the same.  Listening to all the battery life comments on here, I’ve accepted the 6 hours is pretty normal. 

The battery life will gradually get lower (less) as it ages with use; that’s natural. I never benchmarked my Zip, but my Clip+ got 11.35 hours when it was fairly new AND playing 100% FLAC files. With .mp3’s it certainly would have been higher, probably closer to the 15 hrs. as claimed by SanDisk.

@kmk_01kmk wrote:

I’d love to know how you use yours Miikerman, to get 10 hours!

I have two Clip+s and both top out at around 6 hours (4 - 6 hours is closer to the range) - they were refurbs so I thought it was the price I paid for getting refurb, but then I got the ClipZip, *new*, and it still gets about the same.  Listening to all the battery life comments on here, I’ve accepted the 6 hours is pretty normal. 

 

Just playing plain old MP3s here (albeit encoded with variable bit rate), letting the tunes play by themselves without user intervention and with the screen lighting mostly off, as a result; medium or medium-low volume.  Just seems to last for me.

Yesterday got some 7.5 hrs of FM, but that was just after full charging and with almost any activity on player but turning it on.

Can volume level affect battery lasting? Because I’m listening it on max. via my office speakers (not on max. off course:)). Or FM signal power? That should make difference, too.

That does seem quite normal, at least from my experience: I usually see about 6-8 hours run time with the Plus and Zip before they get hungry for a recharge.

Running encrypted WMA plus the EQ takes a little more processor overhead than MP3. The FM chip consumes more power as well. On the Zip, the RDS function plus digital out from the FM consume a wee bit more.

Since the latest two Clips have a slightly more confined interior, the battery is a little smaller as well.

Bob  :stuck_out_tongue:

To get the most battery life from the Clip+, use mp3 files. Other file types, especially protected wma files will eat battery power much faster. Keep the screen brightness at a minimum(as low as you can while still being able to see the screen). Set the screen time to a low number. Set the equilizer in the neutral(off position). Let the player play albums straight through, rather than choosing individual songs. Press buttons as little as possible.

If you still need more battery life, then get a usb battery pack. The $30 Veho Pebble XT is  compact, and will probably give around 10 full charges to the Clip+. The Clip+ will play while it is charging if you use a usb battery pack, an AC usb adapter(even a mini usb cell phone charger), or via a pc if you use a power only cable. USB battery packs usually come with a power only usb cable. Another good usb battery pack is the $15 Tekkeon mp1580. The mp1580 uses 4 nimh AA batteries(not included), which makes it larger and heavier than the Pebble XT.It also holds less power, however one can carry as many extra sets of charged nimh batteries they want. The Pebble XT has a built in Lion battery.

@mirko wrote:

Can volume level affect battery lasting? Because I’m listening it on max. via my office speakers (not on max. off course:)). 

My understanding is, yep.

@jk98 wrote:

 

If you still need more battery life, then get a usb battery pack. The $30 Veho Pebble XT is  compact, and will probably give around 10 full charges to the Clip+. The Clip+ will play while it is charging if you use a usb battery pack, an AC usb adapter(even a mini usb cell phone charger), or via a pc if you use a power only cable. USB battery packs usually come with a power only usb cable. Another good usb battery pack is the $15 Tekkeon mp1580. The mp1580 uses 4 nimh AA batteries(not included), which makes it larger and heavier than the Pebble XT.It also holds less power, however one can carry as many extra sets of charged nimh batteries they want. The Pebble XT has a built in Lion battery.

And another external power source I’ve used:  the Lenmar PowerPort Mini, at around $15 shipped (originally could be found for around $10 shipped).  The nicest thing about it:  about the size of the Clip itself, so a good accessory for it; and with more than enough power for the Clip.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00178NJRA/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

@miikerman wrote:

 And another external power source I’ve used:  the Lenmar PowerPort Mini, at around $15 shipped (originally could be found for around $10 shipped).  The nicest thing about it:  about the size of the Clip itself, so a good accessory for it; and with more than enough power for the Clip.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00178NJRA/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

Nice compact design for sure, but not very good reviews on it though. :cry:

I have the Powerport mini. It sucks. It is very low capacity, and loses plenty of power while idle since it doesn’t have a power switch. Avoid all usb power packs without a power switch. 

But in the end, how much power is needed for the Clips?  The Amazon bad reviews on the PowerPort Mini larely seem to have come from Apple users, trying to recharge iPhones.  

But in the end, how much power is needed for the Clips?  The Amazon bad reviews on the PowerPort Mini largely seem to have come from Apple users, trying to recharge significantly larger iPhones.  Mine has functioned just fine (and I got it under an earlier rebate, to boot).  

I’ve never used on of these devices; how long does it actually take to re-charge a depleted Clip+ or Zip for instance? And how do you know the remaining juice left?

It all depends on the device (as to both questions).  Unfortunately, the PowerPort Mini doesn’t have a gauge as to power left–that tends to be for the “more exclusive” (higher cost) chargers.  I’ve never used one of these chargers to fully charge a player–I tend to use them when my juice has run out when I’ve forgotten to charge earlier, and am just listening for a bit more.  

A usb battery pack typically puts out from 500 ma to 1,000 ma. i think mine put out around 800 ma. The higher ma output enables faster charging. It takes as long as a good AC usb adapter takes. I guess a full charge takes around an hour or so? When using a usb battery pack, I am typically charging while playing the player,and don’t charge from empty.