Count my Clip+ in on the battery probs.

Yeah…I hate to say it but, my new Clip+ is having battery issues. An overnight charge netted maybe a couple hours of play today time.

Same here…the sansa showed fully charged, but it died in just an hour or two…

I spent an hour on the tech support chat line and may be on the way to a solution. They had me reset the sansa (holding the power button down for 15 seconds)… and then also had me plug it into a different USB port on my computer… The charge lasted for 11 hours… But the next time I charged it the battery only lasted an hour or two… I’m trying the reset step and recharging to see if I can get another full charge… 

I find it questionable that plugging into a different usb port on the same puter would make a difference as long as the sansa is detected on both of them, so it must be something with the reset step…

dharris3112 wrote:

I find it questionable that plugging into a different usb port on the same puter would make a difference as long as the sansa is detected on both of them, so it must be something with the reset step…

Not really. Typically, the USB ports in the back of the computer will put out more power as they are closer and connected with shorter wires to the motherboard than the ones in the front. It could also depend on how many other USB devices (printers, keybaords, mice, extrernal hard drives, etc.) you have connected sucking up power too.

I’m pretty sure USB power output is almost the same if you plug an USB mouse for example. Also the visual battery metter on the clip+ display is not so accurate because of known firmware bugs. It should charge in maximum 5 hours on a normal USB 2.0 port. 11 hours is freaking me out. I think the Clip+ has charged much faster than your estimated time. You need to unplug the player every 2-3 hours just to make sure.

Message Edited by icsterm on 11-30-2009 12:34 AM

icsterm wrote:  

I’m pretty sure USB power output is almost the same if you plug an USB mouse for example. Also the visual battery metter on the clip+ display is not so accurate because of known firmware bugs. It should charge in maximum 5 hours on a normal USB 2.0 port. 11 hours is freaking me out. I think the Clip+ has charged much faster than your estimated time. You need to unplug the player every 2-3 hours just to make sure.

Message Edited by icsterm on 11-30-2009 12:34 AM

Actually the Ports in the front of your computer have a lower output than those in the back for exactly the reason you used, the ones in the back are more likely to power Mice and things, where as the ones on the front are more commonly used for storage and media which have the same power consumption. On 1 desktop it doesnt matter which port I use front or back my players charge fine, but on another of my desktops if I plug in to the front I could charge it non stop for a week and only get to about 50% but when I plug it in to the back it only takes a few hours.

That said I cant rap my head around this issue. I may have to buy a Clip+ just to see what happens. 

I’m having power problems too. I left it plugged in to my laptop overnight (which was plugged into the wall) and it had zero charge after I unplugged it. Also it dies when it says it has half power.

This is a large issue. What good is a portable music player that you cannot depend on to have power? The Clip+ has been out over 2 months now with no fixes, moreover this is merely an updated version of an almost identical player. I am quite disappointed in Sansa and will think long and hard before buying another product or recommending it to others.

ropeladder wrote:

I’m having power problems too. I left it plugged in to my laptop overnight (which was plugged into the wall) and it had zero charge after I unplugged it. Also it dies when it says it has half power.

This is a large issue. What good is a portable music player that you cannot depend on to have power? The Clip+ has been out over 2 months now with no fixes, moreover this is merely an updated version of an almost identical player. I am quite disappointed in Sansa and will think long and hard before buying another product or recommending it to others.

Here is the thing about Laptops for charging. If your laptop goes to sleep a lot of the time it cuts down the power to the USB ports sometimes this is so low that it wont charge the player, or if you have any energy saver options this can effect it too. Try a wall charger and see if that helps.

Also dont give up hope. Often things like this are rushed to market, and they arnt 100% ready. I think we will see a fix in a Firmware update. 

ropeladder wrote: The Clip+ has been out over 2 months now with no fixes

Sansa’s firmware update schedule used to be once every 3 or 4 months, IIRC…so don’t give up on them yet.

Message Edited by Marvin_Martian on 11-30-2009 12:16 AM