Clip+ dead wont turn on

I listened to the player Tuesday while riding the stationary bike. It worked fine. I Finished the ride and put the player in the case I carry it in. I know it had more than 50% power but I am not sure exactly what the number was. Tonight I tried to turn it on and nothing happens. I get a black screen. I’ve held the power button down for 15+ seconds several times. Nothing hppens. I’ve connected the player to my computer with two cables and used two usb ports. Nothing. I only use the player occasionally and it stays in the carrying case in my desk at work when I’m not using it. I’ve had the player since late December 2009.

Try forcing a connection by holding the center button down when connecting.  Otherwise, try leaving it connected to a charge source for 12-24 hours, and hope it comes back to life.

The good news is, it has a 1-2 year warranty.

@miikerman wrote:

Try forcing a connection by holding the center button down when connecting.  Otherwise, try leaving it connected to a charge source for 12-24 hours, and hope it comes back to life.

Is holding down the center button when powering an undocumented remedy for this type of problem? This is the first I’ve heard of it, but I’m far from a Clip+ expert.:wink:

So what is it, 1 or 2 years? 

@jsmaye wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

Is holding down the center button when powering an undocumented remedy for this type of problem? This is the first I’ve heard of it, but I’m far from a Clip+ expert.:wink:

It forces MSC mode.  If you search the forum you will find a lot of posts.

2 years in Europe.  1 year elsewhere.  Also would show up in a search.

The center-button-down and leave-it-charging tricks are last ditch attempts to try to bring a dead player back to life …   :wink:

@summerlove wrote:

@jsmaye wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

I’m not generally going to perform a search if asking a follow-up question in an existing post. Most people won’t.

I’ll search before starting a new thread, however.

@jsmaye wrote:

@summerlove wrote:

@jsmaye wrote:

@miikerman wrote:

I’m not generally going to perform a search if asking a follow-up question in an existing post. Most people won’t.

I’ll search before starting a new thread, however.

You were questioning advice that is given over and over again.  I was merely correcting your “undocumented remedy” idea, and the warranty info is clearly labeled on the packaging of device you bought.  Answering the same questions repeatedly, when the information is easily found, gets old very fast, particularly when someone tries to get smart.

i have quick question wondering if you might help or if should try the same, i was listening to my player and i paused it it froze wouldnt turn off , go back , un pause. so i left it over night and it had like 3/4 of charge. well this morning i checked it again and it was off but wont turn on. oh and when it was on i hooked it to usb it woulnd recognize it i just got this about 2 weeks ago. any suggestions?

Did you try a reset?  Hold the on switch down for 15-30 seconds. 

jsweatte wrote:
I listened to the player Tuesday while riding the stationary bike. It worked fine. I Finished the ride and put the player in the case I carry it in. I know it had more than 50% power but I am not sure exactly what the number was. Tonight I tried to turn it on and nothing happens. I get a black screen. I’ve held the power button down for 15+ seconds several times. Nothing hppens. I’ve connected the player to my computer with two cables and used two usb ports. Nothing. I only use the player occasionally and it stays in the carrying case in my desk at work when I’m not using it. I’ve had the player since late December 2009.

Try holding it down for a longer time. Up to 30 secs.

Did you leave it connected for a while?  Recharging from empty takes means the screen may take a little longer to show signs of life.

And yes keep trying the reset.

Best advice ever!, summerlove. Pressing and holding that power button revived my Sansa Clip+ from DOA to alive and kicking. I had left it connected to my computer’s USB port to charge and turned off the computer before leaving for work! Needless to say my screen was black as night and not powering back up. That reset procedure not only woke up my Sansa Clip+ from the dead, but also banished a problem I had of not being able to export files larger than 250 megs out of the machine as well! I had over a gig of voice and fm tuner files stuck in this thing now free to escape to my computer’s hard drive! Thanks a boat load for sharing that reset trick, now I’m a believer!

I’m having the same issue.  I spend half my time at the gym trying to reset my player.  Even holding down the power button doesn’t always work.  I just got mine in Dec 2009.  I bought 3 others for gifts so hopefully they aren’t a piece of ■■■■ like this one.  Any other suggestions.  I’m waiting for the support center to open up as they are on the West coast. 

@ladygator wrote:
I’m having the same issue.  I spend half my time at the gym trying to reset my player.  Even holding down the power button doesn’t always work.  I just got mine in Dec 2009.  I bought 3 others for gifts so hopefully they aren’t a piece of ■■■■ like this one.  Any other suggestions.  I’m waiting for the support center to open up as they are on the West coast. 

Does it happen when specific tracks are playing or just randomly?  I would format it, load it again (if possible check your tags, particularly if there is any large album art and/or comments - you can delete these as the clip doesn’t need them)

@heirchekhound wrote:
Best advice ever!, summerlove. Pressing and holding that power button revived my Sansa Clip+ from DOA to alive and kicking. I had left it connected to my computer’s USB port to charge and turned off the computer before leaving for work! Needless to say my screen was black as night and not powering back up. That reset procedure not only woke up my Sansa Clip+ from the dead, but also banished a problem I had of not being able to export files larger than 250 megs out of the machine as well! I had over a gig of voice and fm tuner files stuck in this thing now free to escape to my computer’s hard drive! Thanks a boat load for sharing that reset trick, now I’m a believer!

Awesome! 

One other thing to try if it won’t connect or won’t turn on is to try charging it with an AC adapter for a few hours. See if it will turn on after a few hours connected to the wall charger while it is still connected. Try using a different USB cable.

Well, I had a problem similar to that. A few days ago I added some songs to my sansa clip, but when I tried to listen to them, under the directory “recently added”, the mp3 player just kept skipping them, one after another, without playing a second of any song at all, as if they were “wrong” archives or I don’t know. Until it reached a song that had already been added before those and played normally. 

So I actually didn’t search for an answer for that, and I wanted to add some other songs so I’d see what would happen then. So I added some new songs and rewrote the song archives that hadn’t played. So one of these newest songs played normally and I tried listening to one of those that hadn’t played and the same thing happened. It skipped and skipped, except, it just went dead! I couldn’t turn it on, even when connected to the computer, so I found someone in the internet that said to hold the power button for 20s and it worked. And I connected it to the computer normally (all the songs were there), and then listened to the newest songs normally, and tried the second newest ones and they skipped again, except it didin’t go dead this time. And, forgot to mention, all the songs play in my computer.

Now what?

A longshot, but:  are the songs in a format compatible with the Clip+?  The manual:  http://mp3support.sandisk.com/downloads/um/clip±en-um.pdf.

Thanks for the manual! Actually, I just checked, they’re all mp3 extensions…

Plus, the same thing happened again, more than once. And not under the “recently added” tab, I chose “play all”. It skipped about 40 new songs before becoming dead. I mean, are all these songs with some kind of virus my mac didn’t detect? Or are their bit rates not compatible? I’m not finding this information about my songs, but I don’t think so…

Did anyone have this problem??