It's dead

I got my duaghter a clip+ for christmas, spend 2 hours on Christmas eve learning how to download to it and then tested it out to make sure everything was ok b4 I wrapped it. So to day she opens it and I show her how to use it and it plays part of a song and dies and won’t turn back on, tried to plug in to the charger and still nothing. now what??? thanks

Simply Try holding the power switch up for 20 seconds. Then try to turn it on. 

tried that earlier. read in the pdf. but i’ll try it again thanks

How are you charging? Do you have a way to use a wall charger? It doesnt have to be specifically for the player just so long as it has the same plug.

I am in the same situation Newbie…this is completely frustrating!!!

I have spent more time on this ridiculous device…it was not worth the $ savings.  First…only some of the songs in my library would take on the Sansa Clip…and only through Windows Media Player.  The manual says you can drag and drop songs onto the player…not so.  The songs will certainly show on the Internal Memory of the player while it’s plugged into my PC, however they will not show on the Sansa in play mode. 

Now…the blasted thing is just dead in mid song…and fully charged!  I thought this would be the perfect start up device for my 9 year old, as I could not see spending hundreds of dollars until he’s older.  He was so thrilled to get this and it’s a joke…I should have known you get what you pay for.  I read wonderful posts about Sansa but I’m just not experiencing the same.

Candids71 wrote:

I am in the same situation Newbie…this is completely frustrating!!!

I have spent more time on this ridiculous device…it was not worth the $ savings.  First…only some of the songs in my library would take on the Sansa Clip…and only through Windows Media Player.  The manual says you can drag and drop songs onto the player…not so.  The songs will certainly show on the Internal Memory of the player while it’s plugged into my PC, however they will not show on the Sansa in play mode. 

Now…the blasted thing is just dead in mid song…and fully charged!  I thought this would be the perfect start up device for my 9 year old, as I could not see spending hundreds of dollars until he’s older.  He was so thrilled to get this and it’s a joke…I should have known you get what you pay for.  I read wonderful posts about Sansa but I’m just not experiencing the same.

You have several issues at play here. First where did you get your songs? It is possible if you are using a service like Itunes they may not be compatible with the player. You can drag and drop but the name is not as it seems you have to copy and paste, and this will only work if your files dont have DRM protection, if they do then the odds are you need to use Windows media to sync to the player in MTP (USB Mode) so that the license transfers with the song file. 

Now for the thing being Dead mid-song, Slide the power switch up and hold it for 20 seconds, then turn it on and see if that helps. If it does delete the song that killed it and see if you experience the same thing again.

"First…only some of the songs in my library would take on the Sansa Clip…and only through Windows Media Player. The manual says you can drag and drop songs onto the player…not so. The songs will certainly show on the Internal Memory of the player while it’s plugged into my PC, however they will not show on the Sansa in play mode. "

Are the songs all mp3 files, or could some be in a format the Clip+ doesn’t support? Do these songs have tags for artist, album, etc.? if the player can turn on, then use the player’s menu to format the player. If the songs are all mp3, then change the USB mode on the player to msc. Reconnect the player to the pc, and examine the songs in my computer or windows explorer. Make sure they are in a format the player supports before copying them to the player.

If the player won’t turn on, connect the player to the pc and use the pc to format it. disconnect it and see if it can turn on now. If it does, then format it again via the player’s menu. If you aren’t using protected songs or protected audiobooks, then then set the USB mode to msc(if you are using protected stuff, set it to mtp).

Connect the player and copy the music to it again.

Many problems people are having are probably due to putting unsupported file types on the player. While I guess the player should probably ignore them completely, it might not.

it also seems like some players may have been shipped with corrupted data(ie corrupted samlpe songs or sample photos) in  their memory and were okay after they were formatted and people copied their songs to the player again.

I was having similar problems.  Would play for maybe a few seconds, then just freeze.  I followed the steps here (formatted, switched USB mode to MSC, reloaded my songs and ditched the samples).  Seems to be working fine now.  Thanks!!!