Clip+ backlight problem and battery charging question.

I just received my Clip+ a couple hours ago and in the short time I’ve had it the backlight has gone black twice. The player is still on but everything is black. The only way to restore the backlight is to reset it. Is this a common problem or is my player defective? I ordered this from Amazon.com so its kind of a pain to send it back. Also it happened once before I updated the firmware and once after.

About charging the player is this the type of battery where I can recharge it anytime without loss of battery capacity or it the type of battery where I have to let it completely drain?

Message Edited by Zin_LG on 03-01-2010 07:36 PM

You can recharge at any point without harm; in fact, it’s best not to discharge the battery completely.

Have you tinkered with the Backlight setting under System Settings, under Settings?

I turned it down to 10 seconds. I don’t mean that the backlight is going off, but rather it wouldn’t come back on or all the text became black. If I looked really close I could make out the menu symbols and everything but the backlight wouldn’t come back on until I turned it off and on.

I’d try 2 things:  a re-set (hold the on button down for 15-30 seconds); and/or reapplying the firmware (see the sticky thread at the top of the forum).  Hopefully, one or the other will fix things.

Note that the term “backlight” is a carry-over from the LCD displays of the e200 and Fuze.  The Clip+ uses an OLED (organic light emitting diode) display,  which is the source of light.  The larger LCD or TFT (color) displays use a set of LEDs behind the display (backlight). The OLED display times out after the selected interval, and also turns off when plugged in for one hour, to save the display.

It will turn off while charging or connected to the PC for data transfer.  The display should light up if a button is pressed.

Have you set your Brightness at about 50 per cent?

The vendor (Amazon and partner seller) often have a 30 day or so quick return policy if the Sansa has a defect.  Most often, this is the easiest method, allowing you to make a quick exchange.  Beyond this initial period, SanDisk has a great warranty program, at least one year (two in EU), and here in the states that includes shipping.

Be sure to register your Clip+ under the Support link, after clicking on the red SanDisk logo in the upper left of this screen.

Bob  :smileyvery-happy:

@neutron_bob wrote:

It will turn off while charging or connected to the PC for data transfer.  The display should light up if a button is pressed.

Have you set your Brightness at about 50 per cent?

The problem was it wouldn’t come back on when the buttons were pressed. I could scroll through the menu but the light wouldn’t come back on.

The display should illuminate whenever a key command is detected, be it the volume control, Home button, or main control.  If not, you may have a hardware issue with your device.

Contact Support via the link in the upper left, or call 1-866-SanDisk in the US.  

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

@neutron_bob wrote:

The display should illuminate whenever a key command is detected, be it the volume control, Home button, or main control.  If not, you may have a hardware issue with your device.

Contact Support via the link in the upper left, or call 1-866-SanDisk in the US.  

Bob  :smileyvery-happy: 

It wouldn’t either time. I was changing tracks and scrolling through the menu and the backlight didn’t come on until reset the player. It hasn’t done it since so I hoping it was just a fluke that had to do with the usb cable.