Clip+ 4Gb - voice recording problem

I am on my second Clip+ 4gb player and this one still has the same annoying problem - audible buzz for exactly 14 seconds when I try to record with built-in voice recorder. I timed it and it is exactly when the LCD screen turns off (in 14 seconds after recording begins) the buzz is gone.

I tried firmware update, recording with no headphones plugged in, playback from the computer, etc. No matter what, the buzz is still there. I assume there is a design screwup – having the screen on introduces hum into the player relectronic circuits.

Any ideas how to beat it (other than wait for 15 seconds to start actual recording - that’s what I have to do and it is a big DUH!! )? And I am on the second Clip+ !!

This is a known issue. Hopefully it will be fixed in a future firmware update.

Does lowering the screen brightness minimize the noise? it is probably a hardware issue, and I doubt a firmware update could fix it. Perhaps some shielding is needed, or the mic needs to be further from the screen?

The Clip+ OLED display is multiplexed, meaning that it strobes the LEDs rather than apply constant current to them.  The Clip+ picks up this electronic noise when recording.

I think it’s a downside of having such a compact assembly.  Two ways to improve performance are to start the device 15 seconds prior to a critical recording, or temporarily set the display time to 5 seconds of you will be doing voice recordings.

Remember, the noise will return in your recording if the display is activated (if you press a button).  For a long recording, setting the display tinme to a short interval might come in handy.

Bob  :wink:

That screen buzz irritates me even when I’m not recording. Even when just scrolling, I’ve got the backlight set to 5 seconds.

What annoys me just as much is that rhythmic ticking sound during recordings. Does anybody else get that?

Message Edited by Juuk on 02-25-2010 04:02 PM

You can try to record with third-party screen recorder. Many screen recording software can not only record voices but also record computer screens, and record the sound of all your microphones and systems, you can also set the output format of the recording.